Motoring Discussion > Getting the comic Computing Issues
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 22

Getting the comic - Armel Coussine
I'm in Islington for the next couple of days.

Asked the offlicence round the corner to keep me a comic tomorrow in case I'm too late. The lady said: 'I not here in morning. Other guy.'

Other guy wasn't there so I couldn't ask him. So I suppose I'll have to get up early and get one while the going is good. Otherwise it's uphill several hundred yards to the Tesco on the summit of the ridge, with no guarantee even then.

Damn damn damn. No comic with the coffee can blight the whole day, or half of it anyway. Herself gets up earlier than I do but doesn't give a damn about the comic. So she'll only do it if she's in a good mood.

At least the car doesn't need bumf tomorrow, someone told me when I faffingly asked.
 Getting the comic - sooty123
What do you call bumf? I always use it as an alternative to detritus.

Do newspapers sell out often there?
 Getting the comic - hjd
We'll be in Islington today, moving daughter and belongings from one flat to another. Would have done it yesterday but apparently arsenal were playing at home, and both flats very close to the stadium.
Apparently parking restrictions apply noon to 4.30 on Bank Holidays.
She has acquired some parking permits for her current address, but looks like she can't apply for any for the new address until she is moved and is living there. You can pay for some parking by phone but must have registered first.
Sounds like a fun afternoon.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 May 15 at 18:38
 Getting the comic - Duncan
>> What do you call bumf? I always use it as an alternative to detritus.
>>
>> Do newspapers sell out often there?
>>

The Telegraph, as I understand it, is sold on a different basis from other daily papers. There are no returns. Whatever the shop has ordered has to be paid for, whereas with other papers they are on a sale or return basis.
 Getting the comic - swiss tony
>> I'm in Islington for the next couple of days.

Was that you on the A3 yesterday afternoon (black PT)?
 Getting the comic - Ambo
Why not read it online?
 Getting the comic - Robin O'Reliant
>> Why not read it online?
>>

It just isn't the same.
 Getting the comic - No FM2R
If you are after information, reading online is just fine.

If, on the other hand, it is all part of the experience then it has just got to be paper, and preferably a broadsheet.
 Getting the comic - Cliff Pope

>>
>> If, on the other hand, it is all part of the experience then it has
>> just got to be paper, and preferably a broadsheet.
>>

Of course. You can't spread out an online paper on the kitchen table and put your breakfast toast, mug and teapot etc on it. There's no drop-down menu for "drip marmalade on the page for the next reader".
You can't do the crossword communually, leaving the page out as different people have a go as they pass through the kitchen.
You can't tear out the Soduku for one, yesterday's answers for another, the editorial for someone else.

And finally you can't scrumple up yesterday's paper and use it to light the fire in the evening.
 Getting the comic - CGNorwich
The online version only has a small proportion of the content of the newspaper
 Getting the comic - Bromptonaut
>> The online version only has a small proportion of the content of the newspaper

The Guardian does, but it's much less simple to navigate than the paper version.
When abroad I often subscribe to the Kindle version of a newspaper. In content and structure Times is the best, followed by the Guardian and a long way behind is the Telegraph.

You can get a free 14 days subscription on all these newspapers which is quite handy. Even if you have to pay you can cancel them when you return from your trip and you only get charged pro- rate.
 Getting the comic - Zero
>> When abroad I often subscribe to the Kindle version of a newspaper.

I go abroad to get away from UK news.......
i offer you a a money saving tip. If you want to get away from the UK news you don't actually have to go abroad. You can remain in the UK and just not buy a newspaper and turn off the TV. Amazing but true!

Personally I like to know what's going on whether I'm home or abroad.

Getting the comic - Zero
>> i offer you a a money saving tip. If you want to get away from
>> the UK news you don't actually have to go abroad. You can remain in the
>> UK and just not buy a newspaper and turn off the TV. Amazing but true!

Thats a crap tip. The Gin is expensive and the weather is s*****.
 Getting the comic - Cliff Pope

>> I go abroad to get away from UK news.......
>>

That's what my grandfather said on holiday in Europe in 1939.
Nearly famous last words.
 Getting the comic - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> The Guardian does, but it's much less simple to navigate than the paper version.
>>

Yes, and you don't get page three on the online version either.
 Getting the comic - Manatee
Is the online Torygraph cluttered with pictures of the Duchess of Cambridge? If not, that might be a reason to have it.

I've been on "i" for about 18m. Much cheaper, by about £300 a year, and I can still do the sudoku and crossword which is as far as I get most days.

The online versions is free. Great pictures of D o C

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/kate-middleton/11179126/Kate-Middleton-pregnancy-pictures.html
 Getting the comic - Ambo
No.7 rather a blatant bit of product placement by hubby.
 Getting the comic - Old Navy
AUDI and Range Rover have products well placed with Royalty. As do Apple.
>> AUDI and Range Rover have products well placed

Yup. They sure have.
>> Is the online Torygraph cluttered with pictures of the Duchess of Cambridge? If not, that might be a reason to have it.

Yes, poor girl though, what a fate, good hair and teflon smile.

The paper has her, but at least she's a real person. It's also cluttered with boring stuff about the sort of TV no one would dream of watching, in the news pages too. Very annoying indeed that.
Latest Forum Posts