Motoring Discussion > No no-claims? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 7

No no-claims? - J Bonington Jagworth
We used to have two cars in our household, but I stopped using my old Xedos about 5 years ago and drive my partner's car when I'm not using my motorbike. Thus, I haven't insured my own car for that length of time, and insurers imply that I have to start again if I buy another. Is there any way of hanging on to a bit of no-claims?
 No no-claims? - Bromptonaut
They're probably right in terms of way the industry treats ncb. What counts for you though is price you pay. My guess is that with a bit of shopping around you'll find companies keen for good risk business, assuming of course you're claim free in recent years.
 No no-claims? - CGNorwich
Yes, go to a broker and they will almost certainly find you some sort of discount in lieu of NCB.

The might be worth a call

www.cityinsurance.co.uk/no_no_claims_bonus.php
 No no-claims? - RichardW
Direct line gave SWMBO full NCD when she got her own car, after I said she was claim free on mine for > 5 years. Think we did that more than once in fact, second time was quite possibly with Elephant who we have been with for both cars for >10 years, as no one else can get close to the price.
 No no-claims? - J Bonington Jagworth
Thanks, all. Much appreciated.
 No no-claims? - Mike H
You can often get an "introductory bonus" plus, if you have been insured on another policy as a named driver with a good record, you might get credit for that. And if you go to the same company as your partner is insured with, on which you are the named driver, they would probably be helpful.
Last edited by: Mike H on Tue 26 May 15 at 13:22
 No no-claims? - Cliff Pope
Some companies (eg Privilege) give a full NCD to a named driver if you take out a second policy with them.
 No no-claims? - Slidingpillar
I insured another car with the same company I already had a policy with. Gave me full no-claims discount with the new one.

I had however been with the same company for at least 15 years and never made a claim.
Latest Forum Posts