Motoring Discussion > Car insurance. Postal quote vs online quote Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 8

Car insurance. Postal quote vs online quote - VxFan
Car insurance is due for renewal in a few days. £372. Ouch.

The renewal price dropped through the letter box a couple of weeks ago. Did the usual trick of seeing how much cheaper it'll be with an on-line quote with the same insurer (Tesco) and for the 1st time ever the on-line quote was £80 dearer!!

I've shopped around a few of what I regard as the "reputable" companies (e.g. Direct Line, Churchill, etc) and their quotes are higher too. Churchill was in fact significantly higher that DL. Odd seeing as they have the same underwriter.

Tried a comparison website, and a couple of quotes came back cheaper, but by the time I've added the same options as I currently have, it pushes them up either higher or around the same price as the Tesco quote.

I thought my accident with the muntjac I had back in January had probably pushed it up, but removing it from the online quote only shaved £27 off the price.

Tried getting quotes on different days of the week as from past experience it can make a difference. It didn't.

I'll try giving Tesco a call on Monday to see if I can haggle a deal with them.

Anyone else find an online quote dearer than their renewal quote through the post?
 Car insurance. Postal quote vs online quote - Crankcase
Yes, me, yesterday, but for house not car. 402 in the letter, 446 online.

Then tried a couple of quote engines and got down to 303.

Then tried for the first time ever topcashback and used their quote engine. Got it down to 252, with exact same cover, with a new provider I'm happy with.

Apparently there will also be some cash back on top of that - about 25- but I'm not holding my breath for that ever turning up.
 Car insurance. Postal quote vs online quote - WillDeBeest
Hard to say as it was messy this time: two-car policy, but changing one of the cars just at renewal time, swapping main drivers and annual mileages between the two, so hard to make a fair comparison. The straight renewal in the post was £505, £20 less than last year's dual premium. Online quotemongering suggested we might get closer to £400, but all the changes (including a new car close to 30 times the value of the 13-year-old one) took us up past £700 before settling a shade above £600 including continental cover for the LEC, as before.

Another time I might have shopped around more, but that seemed a decent result in the time I had, given all the other faff involved in swapping cars. All in order now, I'm pleased to say.
 Car insurance. Postal quote vs online quote - No FM2R
>>Car insurance is due for renewal in a few days. £372. Ouch.
>>for the 1st time ever the on-line quote was £80 dearer!!

Just make sure that the details shown for you, your car, the drivers, the usage etc on your renewal are all correct and the same as you used for the quote and that nobody has got anything wrong.
 Car insurance. Postal quote vs online quote - Armel Coussine
Did mine on the phone to the West London broker I seem to have been going to all my life. They know me, I know them, unbroken list of old insurance bumf back into the mists of time.

Latest bumf arrived smartly by post today. A photocopy of the certificate, that sort of thing, semi-deniable with lots of small print you never see until after the event... they do their best for me I know... but a insurance salesman gotta eat innit, and feed his brats and so on. No, I mean yes, I mean no, I love them really.
 Car insurance. Postal quote vs online quote - R.P.
Try L&V. They are very good and include UK call centres. The Volvo costs me around £190.00 to insure which includes class 1 business use. This is for a 256 bhp car.
 Car insurance. Postal quote vs online quote - WillDeBeest
...in the bit behind the back of beyond.
};---)
>> Just make sure that the details shown for you, your car, the drivers, the usage
>> etc on your renewal are all correct and the same as you used for the
>> quote and that nobody has got anything wrong.

Checked, and double checked. All ok.

Trouble is, this is the 1st annual renewal of the Astra, so I don't have any previous years to compare it with.

All I am basing it on is that when I changed over the policy from the Vectra to the Astra back in February I got a £12 refund because they said that it was slightly cheaper to insure than my Vectra was.

The Vectra last year cost £212 to insure (the on-line quote) against the postal quote of something like £320, IIRC. So, if my Astra back in February was slightly cheaper to insure than the Vectra why is it now suddenly dearer?

>>Try L&V.

Will do. Forgot about them. Someone at work has had good dealings with them the past few years.
Looks like it'll be Tesco insurance for another year. Other quotes were similar or more expensive.

>> Try LV

I did. They were £17 dearer.

I phoned Tesco this morning to see if they could offer me a better deal, or something like some clubcard vouchers for being a loyal customer. They couldn't.
Latest Forum Posts