Motoring Discussion > Cloudy Headlight lens Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 13

Cloudy Headlight lens - Robin O'Reliant
Some while ago Fenlander posted a thread on how he used some home brewed concoction to clean up a cloudy headlight lens. I've got an MoT coming up next month and my nearside headlamp has that problem, I've tried a search but can't find the relevant thread. Anyone point me in the right direction?
 Cloudy Headlight lens - sooty123
Some use toothpaste I've read. Try various grades of abrasive papers, right down to the grade (I can't remember which it is) that feels like leather. You can buy the proper polish for not much money. I think the homemade stuff can be quite hit and miss.
 Cloudy Headlight lens - Lygonos
Have used 400 then 800 grade paper with water to remove quite severe haziness, and some proprietary polish (I think it was Autoglym Super Resin Polish) to finish the job.

More than good enough for MOT time.

Started to haze again after a couple of years but repeated the process with same success.
 Cloudy Headlight lens - Old Navy
tinyurl.com/pk2mxz7

One of many kits available online.
 Cloudy Headlight lens - crocks
I got an MOT advisory for this on my Focus a couple of years back.

Just used T-Cut and elbow grease. Took about ten minutes a side.

No problems since.
 Cloudy Headlight lens - Ted

Caravan dealers sell kits for doing the acrylic windows. I used 1500 wet & dry paper
with soap followed by T Cut and made a reasonably good job on some fairly severe concrete induced scratches on the old van.
>> Some use toothpaste I've read.

>>
Thanks Sooty, five minutes with a sponge and a tube of Macleans and it looks brand new.

One to remember for the future.
 Cloudy Headlight lens - Manatee
I did the MX5 headlamps with Duraglit wadding a couple of years ago. They have re-hazed a bit but are still much better than they were.
 Cloudy Headlight lens - Slidingpillar
Brasso works wonders on vybak and other plastic windows, probably good on headlights too.
 Cloudy Headlight lens - VxFan
>> Thanks Sooty, five minutes with a sponge and a tube of Macleans and it looks
>> brand new.

Did you remember to floss the radiator as well?
>> >>
>> Did you remember to floss the radiator as well?
>>

Nah, I was worried about dislodging the fillings.
 Cloudy Headlight lens - Mike H
By a coincidence, I did mine yesterday. I bought a restoring kit from the local accessory shop, with various grades of wet and dry - 2000, 3000 and 5000 - and some polishing paste. Unfortunately, they weren't man enough for lights that had covered 225,000 miles and were 12 years old, so I rushed off to the local DIY store and got some 800. Didn't take long to get them looking reasonably smart. Took a bit of elbow grease with the polishing paste, but has made a big difference - not like new, but pretty good. There is also a finishing sealer, to protect them from UV and to keep them clean, recommended for application every three months.

Come to think of it, the polishing cream did look a bit like plain old toothpaste :-/
Last edited by: Mike H on Sun 31 May 15 at 19:03
 Cloudy Headlight lens - Fenlander
Don't get here much these days but by chance I did today and here's the link...

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=17318

It was probably longer ago than you thought... I've had the 5-series over a year now.

I see the link in that old post is dead... here is the kit I used. Headlamp is still looking good.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGUIARS-ONE-STEP-HEADLIGHT-RESTORATION-KIT-BRAND-NEW-IN-STOCK/160846872489
 Cloudy Headlight lens - Fenlander
Just noticed this pic from after the light restoration. Forgot to do a before pic but trust me it was cloudy brown and looked like replacement was the only option.

i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/SealgairC420/BMW%20E39%20525D%20SE%20Tourer/BMW525headlamp_zps2bcd410f.jpg
Latest Forum Posts