Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 14

Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - VxFan

A crushed car was stopped on the motorway - 40 miles after it drove under a lorry.

With its roof buckled and windscreen cracked and ripped from the roof, the silver vehicle appears to be decimated.

Pictures from both outside and inside the car show how its roof had almost completely collapsed, with the point of impact with the HGV clearly above the front passenger's door.

tinyurl.com/pj3asav - Daily Wail

This part of the report is totally inaccurate though - "a plastic hub-cap had been torn from the front left wheel"

No you plonkers, that's the space saver wheel, not a wheel with a missing hub cap. Seeing as all the other wheels are alloys, it wouldn't have had hub caps (wheel trims) anyway.
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - ToMoCo
>> This part of the report is totally inaccurate though - "a plastic hub-cap had been
>> torn from the front left wheel"

Also reported in the article 'The car's bumper had a huge scratch'
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - The Melting Snowman
Surprising that.
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - Cliff Pope
What's that film where a gang are checking the abilities of an escape driver, and he systematically crushes their car on all sides, rips the doors off in a car park, and then trims the roof under a lorry?
Is that the same film where he laconically remarks that they had better get it fixed before taking the car out again?
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - WillDeBeest
I really don't know where to begin.

Incidentally, the Gloucester Citizen has it as a Vectra. It's hard to tell, especially as the collision appears to have torn the badge off the grille too.
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - Zero
>> I really don't know where to begin.

Hmmm,, Well page one in your book of Vauxhall jibes starts with "well thats an improvement on the original" so why not start there?
Not what I was thinking, Z. Good that we at least know what wheels were on it despite the spiteful efforts of the gutter press.
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - Roger.
Did they really say "decimated"?
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - Manatee
>> Did they really say "decimated"?

Yes, but that goes with the style. These Mail (and other papers') syndicated articles read as if they have been written by a precocious 13 year old for a school project.

I think they must be churned out in a distant country somewhere by the equivalent of the people who mass produce 'original oil paintings' for those one-off community hall sales. They certainly aren't the work of any journalist.

Not that anybody employs many proper journalists now. The only thing I can find in that article's favour is that it doesn't contain the verb "plough" in any form, as in "ploughed into the car/lorry/bus queue/cyclist" etc.
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - VxFan
>> the Gloucester Citizen has it as a Vectra. It's hard to tell,

Anorak mode on.

Those fog light surrounds weren't fitted to Vectra's as standard. Granted some boy racer/car moders have been known to fit them to their Vectra's though.
But I'm pretty sure that is a Signum as the back end is the wrong shape for a Vectra.

Anorak mode off.
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - Stuartli
Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I first read the story.

Must have taken some effort to drive that far under such circumstances, although definitely a real danger to other road users....:-)
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - John Boy
Perhaps someone after my own heart. :-)

Leaving the local recycling centre, which was crowded at the time, I managed to reverse into a skip. Everyone there heard the bang and looked round, but I made sure to drive off without stopping to look at the damage to the car bumper. I enjoyed driving it more after that - I don't like that "mustn't scratch it" feeling of a pristine car.

The dent turned out to be quite large, but with a neighbour's help I got most of it out with a hair dryer and a damp cloth.
Looks like this one's over to you, then, JB. Were you too pished or drugged up to stop at the tip?
}:---)
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - John Boy
>> Looks like this one's over to you, then, JB. Were you too pished or drugged up to stop at the tip?
>> }:---)

No, I was just trying to even things up a bit without having to go back there.
 Vauxhall Signum - Wrecked car driven for 40 miles after accident - Cliff Pope

>>
>> No, I was just trying to even things up a bit without having to go
>> back there.
>>

You mean the skip was a write-off?
Latest Forum Posts