Motoring Discussion > Halfords sting Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 10

Halfords sting - Dog
www.express.co.uk/news/uk/583008/Dodgy-Bristol-Halfords-car-centre-fined-11-service-defects-undercover-sting
 Halfords sting - Focusless
Now I know why stepson, the one who lives in Bristol, brings his Corsa back to Reading to get it serviced/MoTed!
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 9 Jun 15 at 08:54
 Halfords sting - Old Navy
Customer ignorance is played upon by many companies and less than honest tradespeople. From financial advisors to plumbers. I find it helps to research your problem or the service you require. I am fortunate to have come from the "fix it yourself or walk" era of car ownership and having basic experience of air, water, hydraulics, and electrical systems through my work is invaluable. I have had to intervene when unscrupulous motor trade people have tried it on with my kids. I have no problem with paying a fair price for a good job but as always buyer beware.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 9 Jun 15 at 09:50
 Halfords sting - Stuartli
I stopped using Halfords in the mid-1990s when an MOT tester handed me a list of "faults" which were claimed to be required to enable my car to pass - it totalled a cost of well into three figures to put right.

I knew this was nonsense, so said leave it with me. I arranged for the car to have another MOT, this time at another nearby fast fit centre. It passed without a single advisory just as I would have expected of a then six-year-old VW.

Afterwards I sent all the relevant information as a complaint to Vospa at the time, but never got to know if any action was taken against Halfords.

Halfords sting - Dog
Read the comments which follow the article. It amazes me that these con merchants still infest the likes of Halfords in 2015. I doubt many of us would con-sider using their services, because we are too long in the tooth :)

But, there is one born every minute (been there, done that AND worn the T shirt)
 Halfords sting - Old Navy
There is also the sky high quote for work not wanted. :-)
 Halfords sting - VxFan
The link the OP posted doesn't work for me. If it's the same for anyone else then try this one instead.

www.bristolpost.co.uk/8203-Filton-Halfords-fail-spot-half-car-s-defects/story-26647273-detail/story.html
 Halfords sting - CGNorwich
I used Halfords for an MOT last year on a 6 Year old Yaris. Very efficient, passed with no advisories. Would use the Norwich branch again.
 Halfords sting - bathtub tom
They were penalised near on fifty grand: Magistrates fined the company £32,000, ordered them to pay £14,862.04 costs and a £120 victim surcharge.

Doesn't that say enough?
 Halfords sting - Manatee
You'll probably be safer with Halfords than some of the other fast fit 'oles for a while after that.
 Halfords sting - wokingham
Mercedes owner reports, in the Sunday Times, that he took his car for servicing. In the course of this he was given a "Visual safety check" which showed an exhaust hanger broken. £611.76 including VAT. Fixed by a local indie i 10 minutes for £10. Mercedes have to find Hamilton's salary from somewhere!
Latest Forum Posts