Motoring Discussion > Audi A6 - Record Road Trip Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 10

Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - Alanovich
This little tale appealed to me. I don't remember how many times I refuelled en route to Serbia via Hungary 11 years ago, but refuel I surely did. 1159 miles on a single tank in an Audi A6 is good going in anyone's book - I'm pleased at eeking out 450 miles from a tank in my old SAAB 9-5.

recordroadtrip.com/

It's a good job AC wasn't on his way to Budapest this week, we'd be hearing an awful lot about some blasted mimser in his goddam way I expect.

P.S. - Mods - you might want to update your drop down of Audi A6 models. ;-)
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - VxFan
>> P.S. - Mods - you might want to update your drop down of Audi A6 models. ;-)

Easier said than done. It was something that either SK or HJ used to update on t'other side. I had a crack at it once but ended up pressing the cancel button as I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing. (No change there then)
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - nice but dim
This was done years ago in a Audi 100 C4

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/ingear/cars/Driving/article294975.ece
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - Alanovich
Interesting. Can't see it all because of the paywall though. Looks like a slightly different slant on this week's effort. Clever marketing from Audi and the RAC, right time of year too with folks like me about to set off to the continent.

Does anyone remember an attempt to drive from London to New York without using boats just after the channel tunnel was opened? There was a TV series following them. A fleet of Nissan Terranos or Ford Mavericks (same vehicles, badge engineered at the time) I think. Unsurprisingly failed to get across the frozen Bering Straits. I'd like to be part of an attempt to do that again. Has anyone succeeded I wonder?
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - No FM2R
>>Interesting. Can't see it all because of the paywall though.

A different description of his efforts.....(about half way down)

www.gearwheelsmag.co.uk/aboutgearwheels.htm

>A fleet of Nissan Terranos or Ford Mavericks

Actually Ford Mavericks and [sshhhh] Ford Mondeos....

www.classicfordmag.co.uk/2011/12/21/100-years-of-ford-in-britain-image-of-the-week-5152/

Could be easier soon....

www.makeuseof.com/tag/russia-proposes-highway-new-york-london/
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - mikeyb
Don't know if they have multiple cars decorated up for this or not, but there was one like this parked on a neighbours drive a week or so back.

I notice they went to the RAC in Bristol (just up the road for me) in it so its possible it was the same one
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - Stuartli
I recall driving an Audi A6 with the 2.5-litre TDI engine in the mid-1990s accompanied by my best mate. He was staggered that the on-board computer was revealing it was doing 80mpg at a steady 80mph.
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - rtj70
>> He was staggered that the on-board computer was revealing it was doing 80mpg at a steady 80mph.

Except it wasn't doing 80mpg.
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - Fursty Ferret
I've tried the whole hyper-miling thing in the Insignia - drafting an HGV on adaptive cruise it'll return upwards of 75mpg, but the drive is so mind-numbing that I give up after an hour or two and return to [the legal speed limit].

I see the average speed from this Audi was 46mph. They must have been gnawing off their own legs by the time they hit a thousand miles.

Edit: I also suspect that the winner for "Most countries in a single tank" is probably Germany...
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Sun 14 Jun 15 at 17:48
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - Armel Coussine
>> Except it wasn't doing 80mpg.

Agreed, these constant shifting mpg readouts have to be interpreted pretty sternly in the real world. Most people need to get about and they aren't on a Mobil economy run or anything like that.

But there's no need to be extravagant either. A sympathetic foot, able to lift right off when necessary, is a good economy aid. The guy doing 80mpg at 80mph was obviously in that sort of mode, going down a decent hill with the foot well up. Up the other side would have rendered some very different readings with the foot coming down to maintain momentum.

I really fancy a 3 cylinder rear-engined Renault Twingo although it's an ugly damn thing. A sensitive toe would get very good mpg I reckon without mimsing.
 Audi A6 - Record Road Trip - WillDeBeest
Except it wasn't doing 80mpg.

Or indeed 80mph. Still haven't calibrated the TDS's speedometer. On a quiet M3 on Saturday evening I timed what I thought was a measured kilometre at a cruise-controlled 72mph. Only I covered the distance in 27s, which gives 83mph. Will have to try again.

Instead of an instantaneous mpg readout on the computer, it has a needle that moves on a scale marked 'mpg'. It tends to wave around madly, but I suppose it's no more useless than a digital display of the same information, and it does head disapprovingly for the teens when I accelerate up a steep hill.
Latest Forum Posts