Motoring Discussion > Quiet Tyres for an XJ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Kevin Replies: 15

Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - Kevin
I replaced the old XJ8 commuting horse on Saturday. I've been looking for a Super V for quite a while now but they're like hen's teeth in the colour combination and spec I wanted.

Impatience got the better of me and I've bought a compromise. It's an XJ Sovereign where the original owner went barmy with the options list - about £10k's worth including the Super V interior.

The only problem is that he went for the 19" wheels. They look nice but boy are the Pirelli P-Zero tyres noisy. On smooth tarmac (or even high friction surfaces) they are fine, but on roads dressed with aggregate chippings they are worse than P6000s.

Before I start looking at changing the wheel/tyre package does anyone have a recommendation for a quieter tyre? Size is 255/40R19.

Kevin...
 Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - -
www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m55b0s327p15198

I've been told these are reasonably quiet and comfortable, fair price too, i can tell you not to buy Toyo T1R's for road noise.

Continentals are always recommended on the MB forum but at around £220 a corner thats a very expensive gamble, oddly enough in 15" form the P6000's i had on an MB estate were good and quiet.
 Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - Bellboy
no
put it on proper rims and meat
 Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - Mike Hannon
I'll second that...
 Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - -
I too wouldn't really want 19" and the cost of tyres this size is extortionate, but Kevin does like them and it doesn't appear that ride quality is a problem.
If he goes to the trouble and expense of finding a smaller diameter wheel he will probably still be in 245/255 section with a similar footprint, so noise will still be of concern.
My 225/55x16 P6000s are manufacturer's recommendation and very quiet. The 205/50x16 P6000s on the Prelude are fairly quiet too.
>My 225/55x16 P6000s are manufacturer's recommendation and very quiet.

I had 225/55R16 P6000s on the old XJ and I considered them fairly noisy on some road surfaces especially when they were getting a bit worn. On the sections of motorway where the surface changes from aggregate to smooth tarmac and vice-versa (eg. M3) it was really noticeable.

The P-Zeros are in a league of their own though.

Ride quality isn't a problem. Not as good as the touring suspension on the previous car but still pretty good.

The smallest factory fitted sizes appear to be 235/55R17 or 235/50R18. I think I'll keep an eye on the Classifieds in PlayJag. There are usually a few ads for secondhand rims in there but I was really hoping someone would say "Get rid of the Pirellis and buy a set of XYZ".

Kevin...
 Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - Stuartli
I've been driving a new XJ and, at speeds up to 90mph, tyre noise was the main component. But I didn't check what tyres were fitted.......

Didn't want to upset the owner.......:-)
 Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - Hard Cheese

Just replaced Michelin Pilot Sports with Goodyear EfficiencyGrippyThingys on the Focus ST and they seem a little quieter. I know it is not an XJ though the size is comparable at 225/40-18.

Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - Runfer D'Hills
I've got those Goodyear Efficient wotsits on the old Mondy at the moment. They seem to grip quite efficiently, which is good but I can't tell if they are quiet or not as they have a TDCi and a whistling bike rack to compete with on the decibel front.....
>I know it is not an XJ though the size is comparable at 225/40-18.

Like you, I'm not entirely convinced it's wholly down to the size/profile Cheddar. I suspect the tread pattern is the biggest contributor.

Kevin...
What's PlayJag? I've just Googled for it without success.

Sorry - it's the wife's pet name for my monthly men's magazine, otherwise known as Jaguar World.

Kevin...
 Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - Shiny
There are new EU limits for noise and wet grip being introduced for 2012.
Try a tyre which has the new approval, eg. Vredestein Ultrac Cento.
Do they really still sell the Pirelli P6000? It must be 12 year old now and they weren't great when new.
 Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - jc2
"The P-Zeros are in a league of their own though."

I'd agree that statement.My car(not a Jag) is on Zero Neroes and the grip is outstanding- both wet and dry-but they're not wearing out either.
 Quiet Tyres for an XJ? - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Folks,

I went from Pirelli P6000's on my Volvo S60 (and Mondeo before) as they were the OER tyres. Road noise was bad but you assume that the manufacturer optimised the tyres for the car (well, if I am not being cynical and thinking they just went for the best deal!).

Changed the fronts every 10,000 miles. In the end I went for Michelin Pilot Primacy HP's on the recommendadtion of Honest John and the difference was staggering. So much quieter and well over 30,000 mile from a pair. Grip as good, no real downsides other than the up front cost was a bit more.

Not sure if they do them in your size Kevin, but highly recommended by me.
Latest Forum Posts