Any ideas what the car is?
 Car ID - No FM2R
Austin A70?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 15 Jun 15 at 21:38
 Car ID - No FM2R
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_A70
 Car ID - Armel Coussine
I've been in one.

Boy at school's dad was a Dartmoor farmer who had one.

Pretty useless thing, less than 2 litres I think. Seemed posh at the time though.
 Car ID - Ted

Certainly not an A70 or any other Austin. Front wing line looks Yank or late forties French.

Perhaps Peugeot ?
 Car ID - Lygonos
Looks like a split-screen Opel Kapitan to me

1948-53 vintage (curved rear arch suggests 48-50)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Kapit%C3%A4n
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 15 Jun 15 at 22:30
 Car ID - Ted
That's what I had in mind but I thought it was too big. I notice it's right hand drive and has a split screen. The scuttle/bonnet line at the base of the screen is a fair old height above the base of the screen.

203s were 4 light saloons and had one piece screens.

Ford had a plant in SA and I'm leaning towards a 1946 Ford Super DeLuxe ATM.
 Car ID - Lygonos
Note the edit, Ted :-)
 Car ID - Armel Coussine
>> Looks like a split-screen Opel Kapitan to me

Look Lygonos, d'you just sort of mind?

We were talking about Austin A70s and the like and you had to ruin it by mentioning proper cars.

Car ID - Manatee
>> Looks like a split-screen Opel Kapitan to me

Should have scrolled down earlier - I have been looking for one I took a picture of at Mielenwerk in Berlin about 8 years ago.

But didn't they have suicide back doors? That rusty one looks as if it's hinged at the front.
 Car ID - Manatee
Found it.

2.5 litre V6 with a massive 58 Pferdestärke.

goo.gl/B8eABA
 Car ID - Armel Coussine
>> Certainly not an A70 or any other Austin. Front wing line looks Yank or late forties French.

>> Perhaps Peugeot ?

Ted, unless you are joking I'm utterly appalled.

You must be younger than I thought you were. A chap who doesn't remember the very unmemorable A70 I ax you mon to raas...

The chrome bits on those cars look ready to fall off don't they? They did back then too believe me. BL - dont'cha just love it? Where would we be if it hadn't existed?
 Car ID - Lygonos
It's not an A70 - front wing on A70 smoothes into the body as it sweeps back.
 Car ID - mikeyb
No idea, but the agent selling the property looks like a serial killer
 Car ID - Ted
Really Lud , perhaps a visit to Specsavers ?

No Hereford or Hampshire had a split screen and they had ' inset panel ' bonnets....not a big ' alligator ' type like my Javelin that this old bus would have flaunted.

Tsk.
 Car ID - Armel Coussine
>> No Hereford or Hampshire

Heh heh... I'd been trying to remember the A40 or 50 or 70 model names.

I'm appalled though by your apparent blindness Ted. 'Yank' indeed!

I was there. You were in short pants or even nappies, capisce?
 Car ID - Cliff Pope

>>
>> No Hereford or Hampshire had a split screen

In Hertfordshire, Herefordshire and Hampshire, half-screens hardly ever happen.
 Car ID - Armel Coussine
b******s. Those are A70s in all their awfulness.
 Car ID - Ted

Never mind 'Yank indeed ' The South African plant produced models that were basically pre-war (1942) Dearborn products.

Look at the front of a 41 Lincoln Zephyr !
 Car ID - henry k
I have looked at Google images of all the suggestions to date.
None match the rust bucket so back to guessing.

Clues to failures - the amount the front wings bulge overlaps the front doors and the shape of the rear wings.
 Car ID - Lygonos
Telling you man -Opel Kapitan

www.6913th.org/bhaven/gifs4/Auto-H9.jpg
 Car ID - Lygonos
OK, so can't find an example with non-suicide doors.... :-)
 Car ID - Lygonos
Chevrolet Stylemaster 4 door

www.oldparkedcars.com/2011/11/1947-chevrolet-stylemaster-fleetmaster.html

Ok - really pretty sure this time....
 Car ID - rtj70
That does look very much like the one Kevin had in the link...

So is Kevin off to run a B&B over there? Sorry to pry. Just curious.
 Car ID - Kevin
Just rooted out my "Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975" from where it's been "tidied away" by Mrs K.

I reckon that Lygonos has it right with the Chevy Stylemaster.

Specifically it looks like a 1948 model, identified by the prominent T-shaped addition to the grille you can see in pic 13 of the link. Earlier models didn't have the 'T' and in '49 the front fenders ran flush down the side of the body without the bulges in the front doors.

It had a 6 cyl OHV engine displacing 216.5 cubic inches and developed 90bhp at 3300 RPM. There were 48,456 produced (in the US) and it cost $1371 without options.

If Lygonos sends me his address plus a cheque for £19.95 Shipping & Handling he will receive a superb Parker pen as his prize.

>So is Kevin off to run a B&B over there? Sorry to pry. Just curious.

Me? Run a B&B? Good Glub no! I would make Basil Fawlty look good.

The property was just included in my search results. I'm actually planning to build a shebeen franchise empire.

I don't think the name here quite captures the spirit - I'm looking for something a bit more 'catchy'.

www.property24.com/for-sale/springbok/springbok/northern-cape/9210/102675284
 Car ID - henry k
>> Chevrolet Stylemaster 4 door>>
>> www.oldparkedcars.com/2011/11/1947-chevrolet-stylemaster-fleetmaster.html>>
>> Ok - really pretty sure this time....
>>
I am impressed. This one gets my vote.
 Car ID - John Boy
>> www.oldparkedcars.com/2011/11/1947-chevrolet-stylemaster-fleetmaster.html
>>
Now there's an elegant website - it really conforms to the saying "less is more".
IMO
 Car ID - Manatee
Opel became a GM subsidiary in 1929, so perhaps the resemblance to the Opel Kapitan is not a coincidence - could they be related? Maybe the differently hinged rear doors were a tweak for the US market.
 Car ID - Armel Coussine
>> a 41 Lincoln Zephyr !

Did you know it was a V12 Ted?
 Car ID - Ted

Gerald Palmer copied some of the styling of the Zephyr for the Javelin. I wish he'd copied the engine....V12 sidevalve.

Not to sure about the Kapitan...........all pictures I've seen of Kapitans with this body have a much longer tail slope, similar to the Jowett. Boot lids have a pressing for the spare wheel, a la Rover P4 and they have a split screen rear window. Kapitans have rear doors hinged on the C pillar. Our rustbucket seems to have ' normal ' doors.
 Car ID - Armel Coussine
I had a grey Lincoln Zephyr Dinky toy when I had those things.

The real Zephyr engine was of low output for its capacity and peaked at 4,000rpm or less. It was said to have a weak crankshaft. But those floods of silent creamy torque must have been very seductive to a driver. No need for low gears in a thing like that.
 Car ID - Lygonos
>>Not to sure about the Kapitan

Yeah it isn't one - I reckon it's a Yank wagon (see post at 00:58)
 Car ID - Armel Coussine
I can hardly remember an Opel that wasn't a good car. I know they're just German Vauxhalls really but actually they seem often to be better than that.

And those big (2.8l were they? anyway not more than 3.3) straight-six ones were the cat's whiskers. A good one would be much loved by its owner.
 Car ID - Dog
>>I can hardly remember an Opel that wasn't a good car. I know they're just German Vauxhalls really but actually they seem often to be better than that.

Yes indeedy, the Opel versions of the Cavalier/Astra etc. were always mucho better than their Vauxhall stable m8s.
 Car ID - Ted

I'm certainly with you on the Stylemaster but I wonder just how many were made with RHD like the rustmobile.

Perhaps they were made in a South African plant alongside other Chevs. I can't imagine there'd be a massive demand worldwide for right hookers.
 Car ID - Kevin
I didn't know it but a quick google reveals that GM have apparently had an assembly/manufacturing facility in ZA since 1926.

www.gmsa.co.za/

Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 16 Jun 15 at 23:48
 Car ID - henry k
Searches in South Africa also show many RHD American (GM) cars cica 1948.

www.dyna.co.za/cars/gallery2.htm

www.hemmings.com/users/189118/gallery/1169.html
"This car was built by General Motors South Africa Ltd. The car rolled off the production line on the 17th August 1948. She was built as a right hand drive for the southern African market."
view of the dash.
Latest Forum Posts