Motoring Discussion > Route advice please! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 18

Route advice please! - Manatee
My daughter and her husband need to travel from Cambridge to Coniston on Friday, probably setting off just after 9am. She has an 8 month old, so spending hours in jams will be even less fun than usual.

A14/M6 or A1/M62/M6? Always tempting to use the A65 to cut the corner off but there seem to be lots of roadworks shown on that road just nw.
 Route advice please! - ....
I'd stay on the A1 up to Scotch Corner and use the A66 to get across country. It seems like you're going north to head south, it's marginally shorter than using the M62, the A66 is mainly dualled now.
 Route advice please! - Bromptonaut
>> I'd stay on the A1 up to Scotch Corner and use the A66 to get
>> across country. It seems like you're going north to head south, it's marginally shorter than
>> using the M62, the A66 is mainly dualled now.

Mainly but not completely. A66 OK in light traffic but not in peak

We took the A66 option going to Dumfries at Spring Bank. At each of the end of each dualled section there was 10-20 mins delay while traffic sequenced itself onto the two way.
 Route advice please! - ....
That's the reason I suggested the A66, they are neither traveling at peak time nor is it a public holiday weekend (or have I missed one) ?

Leaving just after 9 allowing for a reasonable comfort break, should still be sitting at their destination by 3 when the fun games will be underway on the roads.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 17 Jun 15 at 15:48
 Route advice please! - neiltoo
A client coming from Slough to G Manchester was an hour late for a meeting at 2.00pm last Friday. Don't know what time they set off, but they didn't have time for lunch, so I guess they lost a minimum of 90 minutes, at least.

They came M40/M6/M62, I think.

I don't go anywhere near the M6 to the South if possible.

But all roads out of the SE are very busy.

I guess that A1/M62/M6 would be better of the two, but still allow lots of time.

Set off earlier if possible.
Last edited by: neiltoo on Wed 17 Jun 15 at 15:35
My suggestion would be neither of the above!!

The M6 is always a lottery round Brum and through south Staffs. Some but not all of that can be avoided, albeit at a cost, using the M6Toll.

The one that works for me is M1>A50>M6. Yr daughter will need to add A14 to that.

Will be signed off at 23A but at one time that threw you into a jam on the A453 past East Midlands Airport. Better to come off at 24. The A50 is good dual carriageway with only 4, generally free flowing, roundabouts until it meets the A500 at Stoke.

At Stoke go counter intuitive and follow M6 South to M6/J15 then follow signs for M6 Preston.

Mileage is pretty well identical to using the direct M6 route.

Probably best to access Coniston via the M6 south lakes junction but consider alternative of going along S Cumbrian Coast.
 Route advice please! - neiltoo
Yup, that sounds better.
I'd forgotten the A50.

Neil
 Route advice please! - Armel Coussine
You're all wrong. What he needs is the M25. That goes everywhere.
>> Yup, that sounds better.
>> I'd forgotten the A50.
>>
>> Neil

Son is at Uni in Liverpool so I'm going up there (from Northampton) pretty often as well as other recreational trips with and without caravan to NW and Scotland.

Never had a delay on the A50 and it rarely comes up on traffic reports.
 Route advice please! - Pat
A1/ A66 for me without question at that time of day....walk in the park and great scenery too!

Pat
 Route advice please! - Ted

We did M6...M6 toll...A14. Manchester to Huntingdon a week ago without any probs.

It was Saturday, though. Toll was £4. Worth it, I think.
 Route advice please! - WillDeBeest
...walk in the park and great scenery too!

So that's what the lorry drivers are doing: they have to drive side by side so they can compare notes on the scenery.
};---)
Absolutely W de B, beats the view from your office window any day....... and you don't even have to talk to anyone either!

Pat
The A66 is, other than for it's not being fully dualled, a fine and scenic route to Penrith and continuing on to Keswick and North/West Lakes. OP's daughter though is headed for Coniston which is in south of the Lake District.

goo.gl/maps/DZoiJ

A66 then A585 through Kirby Stephen to Tebay would be possible and might make sense from N Yorks. Bit of a deviation though for somebody starting in Cambridge.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 17 Jun 15 at 16:59
I'm aware of that Bromp having regular drops in Windermere, Keswick and Coniston as well as Sedburgh, but I still stand by that route.

It may well be a few miles further, but stopping places with a young baby are not restricted to Motorway Service areas and there will be no ridiculously long hold ups at that time of day.

The shortest is rarely the quickest and most pleasant!

Pat

Route advice please! - No FM2R
>>The shortest is rarely the quickest and most pleasant!

That's true. My wife is short.
 Route advice please! - Old Navy
>> That's true. My wife is short.
>>

And does not read this forum?
 Route advice please! - No FM2R
Damn right. I have no wish to die.
 Route advice please! - Manatee
Can't beat a directions thread for participation. Thanks everybody.
Latest Forum Posts