Motoring Discussion > Ford - The car that can see around corners
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 9

Ford - The car that can see around corners - VxFan

Ford has developed a car that will ‘see around corners’ to help avoid crashes.

It has added the option of a special split-view camera for the front grille of its cars to offer drivers a 180-degree view of traffic - even if it's otherwise out of sight.

The new system makes its debut as a £400 option in the all-new Ford S-Max and Galaxy models which hit showrooms in August and will also be offered on the new Ford Edge sport utility vehicle available later this year.

tinyurl.com/pt6sm97 - Daily Wail
 Ford - The car that can see around corners - Londoner
Good for Ford - I like them!

Haven't BMW already got this as an option on some of their cars?
 Ford - The car that can see around corners - Crankcase
Been a Volvo option for years. Even my lowly 2010 build had it as an option, and it could be added now, if I wanted to fork out £400.

Nice gadget, in theory, I think.
 Ford - The car that can see around corners - Focusless
>> Nice gadget, in theory, I think.

In practice, is the picture good enough for drivers to rely on it, rather than carefully edging a bit further forward and using their eyes? Not convinced it is from the video.
 Ford - The car that can see around corners - Crankcase
I think the issue with the idea, at least as implemented by Volvo, is that unless you are actually perpendicular to the oncoming traffic it's not that useful a view.
 Ford - The car that can see around corners - Old Navy
My concern would be people becoming reliant on it. I wonder how many motorcyclists it will claim?
 Ford - The car that can see around corners - ....
The budget version is to turn the radio down and crack the window.
It won't work for pedestrians or push bikes but stops you hitting the big stuff*

*with the exception of hybrids in EV mode
 Ford - The car that can see around corners - Boxsterboy
If it's anything like the reversing camera on our S-Max it will soon be playing up. Fortunately our car has sensors too, which is all you really need - a reversing camera really is a gadget too far IMHO
 Ford - The car that can see around corners - VxFan
>> If it's anything like the reversing camera on our S-Max it will soon be playing up.

Bloke's Mondeo at work has the same issue.

>> a reversing camera really is a gadget too far IMHO

Oh, I don't know. The other day my camera saved me reversing into a low post that I didn't see with the mirrors and the reversing sensors didn't pick up.
 Ford - The car that can see around corners - Harleyman
>> Good for Ford - I like them!
>>
>> Haven't BMW already got this as an option on some of their cars?
>>

Probably to compensate for the fact that most of their customers seem unable to use mirrors or indicators.
Latest Forum Posts