Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks
Thread Author: .... Replies: 15

Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - ....
We travelled from France to England at lunchtime today.

HGVs were backed up about 1/2 mile to the entrance, cars were flowing through in the outside lane.
Everything was being checked, cars and HGVs. Nothing was getting through without four security bouncers giving the car the once over.

We arrived 1 1/2 hours before departure, it took about an hour from check-in to the queue to board.

Other observation today, Merc E class saloon drivers with Belgian plates are the new trilby wearing Volvo SMIDSY.

Also a couple of Marcos, a TVR 450 and a Griffith on the ferry.
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - bathtub tom
www.spasummerclassic.com/en/race3.html

Perhaps some were returning early from Spa?
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - WillDeBeest
I can't quite make sense of your narrative, Gmac. But it's been a sound precaution for years to give a wide berth to anything bearing a Belgian number plate. The worry is that the distinctive red-on-white plates are being replaced by something altogether blander that could be from anywhere. Makes Belgians harder to spot and so harder to avoid.
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - Zero
>> I can't quite make sense of your narrative, Gmac. But it's been a sound precaution
>> for years to give a wide berth to anything bearing a Belgian number plate.

They are, generally, pretty appalling drivers.
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - Bromptonaut
>> . But it's been a sound precaution
>> for years to give a wide berth to anything bearing a Belgian number plate.

Same goes for Parisian plates - 75 in the old French system. No longer so easily marked out with new AA 1123 BB style frog reggies.

Fund one nestling up to my Xantia's front bumper in De Panne (Belgium) a few years ago. Driver has simply not applied the handbrake and it rolled backwards on a fortunately very shllow slope.

His wife was first back to it but she couldn't drive. While my French is pretty basic I sure the words mon mari, conducteur and +M**** were in her gabbled explanation.

+M**** is a French word for poo poo. M E R D E
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 27 Jun 15 at 22:10
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - Bromptonaut
>> HGVs were backed up about 1/2 mile to the entrance, cars were flowing through in
>> the outside lane.
>> Everything was being checked, cars and HGVs. Nothing was getting through without four security bouncers
>> giving the car the once over.

Plain clothes CRS, DFDS/port security or UK Borders?

A swab check of steering wheel, presumably for explosive traces has been applied last few times I've been through Dover, Dunkerque or Eurotunnel.

UK passport control at port is augmented, at least at Dunkerque, with UK Borders patrols in the assembly area checking car boots, caravans etc and subjecting lorries to CO2 'sniff' tests.

>> A swab check of steering wheel, presumably for explosive traces has been applied last few
>> times I've been through Dover, Dunkerque or Eurotunnel.

Really, not even sure the wheels on my car actually stopped turning when I went through tunnel checks in April. The merest wave of my passport through the window was enough.

Still I suppose GCHQ does have you marked as a left wing agitator.
>> Still I suppose GCHQ does have you marked as a left wing agitator.

:-)

One of the thumbs is mine.
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - Old Navy
The other one is mine. :-)

Steering wheel swabs, does your car have a drug marker in the system?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 27 Jun 15 at 22:13
>> Steering wheel swabs, does your car have a drug marker in the system?

Nah, it's either explosives or evidence that I was playing cards while driving.
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - Skip
>> Really, not even sure the wheels on my car actually stopped turning when I went
>> through tunnel checks in April. The merest wave of my passport through the window was
>> enough.

They probably assumed that an OAP in a knackered old Lancer didn't pose much of a threat ! :-)

>> They probably assumed that an OAP in a knackered old Lancer didn't pose much of
>> a threat ! :-)

Wel thats fine and dandy by me.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Jun 15 at 01:01
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - Old Navy
>> >> They probably assumed that an OAP in a knackered old Lancer didn't pose much of a threat ! :-)
>>
>> Wel thats fine and dandy by me.
>>

That's profiling, gobby OAPs are only a threat if they have a walking stick. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 28 Jun 15 at 09:32
walking stick. :-)

Does a walking pole / monopod count?
>> walking stick. :-)
>>
>> Does a walking pole / monopod count?
>>

Yep, excellent weapon when attached to a grumpy OAP.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 28 Jun 15 at 09:49
 Mercedes Benz E-Class W211 - Dunkirk to Dover ferry - security checks - ....
They had some hi-viz tops on plain black kit. Looked more nightclub bouncer than border control.

In March I went through the tunnel both ways, coming out the UK I didn't stop, never raised the lid or tinted visor on my helmet.

Belgian drivers have always had the dodgem approach to driving today they went to a new level. Mirror, signal, manoeuvre? Nah, just wang out including when there was nothing in front of them. Lanes ? They're just for the foreigners.
Latest Forum Posts