Motoring Discussion > Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: .... Replies: 42

Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - ....
Last summer when driving around the UK we used DAB a lot, reception was generally fine, a few areas around Cumbria and Northumberland were not covered but that is pretty rural.

Yesterday, driving from Dover to west London round the south side of the M25 most of the journey the signal was none existent. I returned the system several times, a lot of channels listed but no signal. Is this normal or do I need to book a trip to Volvo to fix?
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - Old Navy
I was reading somewhere recently that the FM switch off had been kicked into the long grass and was unlikely to happen for many years if ever. FM works for me when in the car.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 28 Jun 15 at 09:37
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - Skip
>> I was reading somewhere recently that the FM switch off had been kicked into the
>> long grass and was unlikely to happen for many years if ever. FM works for
>> me when in the car.
>>

The FM switch off was originally planned for 2015 wasn't it ? ISTR reading somewhere that DAB is 2 (or more) generations out of date now anyway.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - Zero
>> Last summer when driving around the UK we used DAB a lot, reception was generally
>> fine, a few areas around Cumbria and Northumberland were not covered but that is pretty
>> rural.
>>
>> Yesterday, driving from Dover to west London round the south side of the M25 most
>> of the journey the signal was none existent. I returned the system several times, a
>> lot of channels listed but no signal. Is this normal or do I need to
>> book a trip to Volvo to fix?

I think its more of a case of your first journey being very lucky, Generally UK Dab reception and coverage is dire. As is the bit rate. Commercially its a failure too. In fact, all in all, its a complete disaster. Apart from that its great.
>> Generally UK Dab reception and coverage is dire.
>> As is the bit rate. Commercially its a
>> failure too. In fact, all in all, its a complete disaster. Apart from that its
>> great.
>>

Sounds like the German implementation. Two channels which are like listening to the shipping forecast for entertainment.

I use my phone for radio streaming, that gets a little pricey when roaming. Not worth getting a UK data SIM, only here for a couple of days.

Looks like ONs old tech solution is the way forward.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 28 Jun 15 at 09:58
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - WillDeBeest
The TDS has FM and DAB built in, and both seem well implemented. But FM doesn't disappear altogether as I descend into a valley (lots of those round here) and is generally easier to use on the move. And a good FM signal will always sound better than DAB anyway.

No DAB at home; no need for it.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - sooty123
Must be something in it, another forum I'm on there's a bloke who sells no end of them. People regularly upgrade as he brings the next one out. Not for me though, the ones I've seen are much too expensive and no need for it anyway. The normal fm radio on the local radio station is plenty enough for me.
...another forum I'm on there's a bloke who sells no end of them. People regularly upgrade as he brings the next one out.

I'm intrigued to know what he's selling. There are adaptors available from big makers, like the Pure/Alpine one I have in the LEC. (Bought for an iPod but offers DAB too.) They do take some installing, though, so perhaps that's what your blokey does.
>> ...another forum I'm on there's a bloke who sells no end of them. People
>> regularly upgrade as he brings the next one out.

>>
>> I'm intrigued to know what he's selling.

I think they are Navall? I think it's a sat nav combined into it.

>> I think they are Navall? I think it's a sat nav combined into it.

Ah that explains it, a Navall is a Chinese made android head unit. Being Android it can have shedloads of things added to it, including DAB, but its a complete minefield for the unwary.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Jun 15 at 01:08
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - mikeyb
Lexus has DAB but cant say I'm impressed, probably works well 80% of the time, but not really sure if it gives any advantage over FM
I have dab at home, but I am lucky, in that I have good line of sight (in radio terms) to Crystal Palace, so have 95% signal strength and lots of channels on lots of multiplexes. For mobile use tho, its far far too variable.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - Bromptonaut
Had it in loan cars a couple of times and it was OK but between Milton Keynes and home we've good 'line of sight' to either Bletchley or Daventry. Sutton Coldfield isn't that far under the horizon either.

Daventry is digital only. The site of the former World Service masts on Borough Hill was used for testing and development of DAB and now operates to 'infill' between Sutton Coldfield and adjoining masts on southern periphery of its service area.

We have one DAB set at home as the back if the house downstairs is a dead spot for VHF.
This morning I went out to the car and set the radio off tuning again. This time all stations identified and playing. The difference ? The car was parked while tuning, yesterday I was tuning on the move.

Perfectly clear reception.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 28 Jun 15 at 12:23
>> This morning I went out to the car and set the radio off tuning again.
>> This time all stations identified and playing. The difference ? The car was parked while
>> tuning, yesterday I was tuning on the move.
>>
>> Perfectly clear reception.

Dont travel anywhere in it.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - Slidingpillar
DAB does have an technical advantage over FM but the way in which it was implemented compromises it and in some cases, FM can be better - shouldn't be the case though, but low bitrates will do that. It was always seen as a mobile reception system, and is really only suited to national stations. It's very wasteful to use it for local broadcasting.
I think there is a DAB+ isn't in some countries abroad?
Yup, and although you'll never find anyone who admits it, we could have had DAB+ from the outset! (Not even mentioned as the UK was struggling to find anyone proposing to make DAB sets and to revise the specification before launch was seen as a deterrent).

DAB+ will come, but goodness knows when as none of early DAB sets will receive it. Anyone buying a DAB set now though should make sure the unit is both DAB and DAB+ compliant. Possibly even with a data connection to allow the software to be updated (I've not looked into this).

>> DAB+ will come, but goodness knows when as none of early DAB sets will receive
>> it. Anyone buying a DAB set now though should make sure the unit is both
>> DAB and DAB+ compliant. Possibly even with a data connection to allow the software to
>> be updated (I've not looked into this).

Most sets sold within the last 18 months have been Dab & Dab+. There is talk that a new Dab plus infrastructure will be built but its only talk.

The gov wants to sell the old FM spectrum, but govs have made such a hash of Dab that is increasingly unlikely.

I like the US satellite radio for cars, tho that has a subscription fee.
The gov wants to sell the old FM spectrum, but govs have made such a hash of Dab that is increasingly unlikely

If you asked anyone with broadcast experience they'd have said the FM sell off will never happen 15 years ago. FM was supposed to replace MW in the 50's and that didn't happen either.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - Bromptonaut
>> If you asked anyone with broadcast experience they'd have said the FM sell off will
>> never happen 15 years ago. FM was supposed to replace MW in the 50's and
>> that didn't happen either.

Turning of old tech radio is, IMO, much more problematic than the digital TV migration.

Various forms of new technology from better tubes, via nicam stereo to LED and or plasma means folks were, and still are, throwing out the telly every few years. Five years ago we couldn't give away a CRT portable.

A choice of dozens of new channels made the digital principle an easy sell. The 'digibox', with some models even having an RF output, made conversion of remaining old tech sets cheap and simple.

Transistor radios OTOH go on for ever. We must have eight or none dotted round the house- bedrooms, bathrooms etc. There are few new channels on digital and no easy upgrade route for the old sets. While new cars might hacve digital sets they're still not universal and millions of older cars have integrated analogue sets.

Big problem for govt to convince the punters changeover isworthwhile
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - Shiny

>> There is
>> talk that a new Dab plus infrastructure will be built but its only talk.
>>

No new infrastructure is required, just a different encoding codec.
They could easily make one of the existing ensembles DAB+.
They could easily make one of the existing ensembles DAB+

And loose a shed full of listeners who only have non-plus receivers. Not going to happen. There is talk about the second and at present unused national mux carrying DAB+ but we'll have see it that ever comes about.
>> No new infrastructure is required,

Apart from another 1mb of bandwidth. Unless you want to dump all the ordinary dab users in the bin
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 30 Jun 15 at 20:38
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - NortonES2
Recently got a Ruark R1 which has DAB+ capability. FM selection still sounds better though!
Bit of a pronoun tangle there, Slidey. Not sure if it's FM or DAB that you disapprove of for local use.

There's a nicely trenchant critique of the codecs, bitrates and general rubbishness of UK DAB here:
www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/why-dab-radio-in-the-uk-is-broken-and-how-to-fix-it-1217586
Bit of a pronoun tangle there, Slidey. Not sure if it's FM or DAB that you disapprove of for local use

'It' is DAB, not FM.

FM can't do Single Frequency Networks, DAB can and that is where the advantages all start from. No different to FM whether local or national stations, but DAB is not suited to local broadcasting as you need a multiplex to carry it that is not nationally available.

No surprises in the article although it glosses over much. I was however in at the ground floor for DAB and in the early days, used to give talks on the subject.
Interesting reading there Will. DAB for me is ease of use with the Volvo interface. Bit rate doesn't really come into it at speed with the 18" tyre spec. & 20% stiffer suspension of the R-design.
40kbps is probably 39kbps too much for 80s music anyway.
Still, it keeps my tone deaf other half happy on long journeys.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - DP
Have my first ever DAB radio in the 320d.

I was excited at the big list of stations, and then quickly disappointed when it became clear you can't listen to any of them without losing the signal every couple of minutes, and that it sounds awful.

I've used it no more than three times. Rubbish.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - Focusless
The DAB on the A3 seems pretty good, at least between Reading and Bath - I think I might have had the odd drop-out, but don't remember any in the last few journeys. Wasn't so good up in Scotland though.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - Alanovich
>> The DAB on the A3 seems pretty good, at least between Reading and Bath -
>> I think I might have had the odd drop-out, but don't remember any in the
>> last few journeys. Wasn't so good up in Scotland though.

For a moment there I was wondering which Brigadoonian versions of Reading and Bath were connected by the A3. Then I realised I must have missed a thread about a new car........

I have trouble keeping hold of Radio 4 (FM) in our Mazda when I drive between Reading and Corsham, but it's fine in the SAAB. So it must be a poor system in the Mazda.

I had aftermarket DAB in the old Galaxy, it was mostly OK locally but dropped out on leaving town and needed retuning. The head unit is on my garage now and has been for about 2 years. I have not refitted it to any subsequent vehicle......
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 30 Jun 15 at 09:54
>> For a moment there I was wondering which Brigadoonian versions of Reading and Bath were
>> connected by the A3. Then I realised I must have missed a thread about a
>> new car........

:)

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=19596
Have my first ever DAB radio in the 320d.

I was excited at the big list of stations, and then quickly disappointed when it became clear you can't listen to any of them without losing the signal every couple of minutes, and that it sounds awful.

I've used it no more than three times. Rubbish.

DAB is not rubbish, but as one might expect, some car manufacturer's implementation is. Generally speaking, the weak point is the aerial as something that is right for FM is rubbish for DAB (FM is 87.5 to 108 MHZ, BBC DAB is 225.648 MHz and the others are in the same area).
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 30 Jun 15 at 09:39
Which system do you have in your 3, DP? I've read negative comments from owners about the standard E90 unit, and I admit that part of what drew me to the one I bought was the premium amp and speaker package, complete with little Harman Kardon logos on the tweeters in the corners of the front windows.

It took a little tweaking with the equalizer to remove a harsh mid-treble resonance (female voices or piano right hand) and it's best with the fader biased forward, but it's now doing a decent job of keeping me from missing the Volvo. I still think the Volvo system was superior because that just worked with all the knobs set to neutral, but this is a fine substitute and probably better than Volvo's current audio range. But the DAB is strictly for Test Match Special; it's just occurred to me that I don't know whether the radio can receive LW.
Dunno if it's still the case but some radios used to treat LW as an extension of MW. You got there via the medium wave and then just tuned in.
That was the case with the Volvo, Slidey. The selector had three positions: FM, AM and CD. AM went from about 150-1500 KHz.

I don't really care. I never use MW (or even SW, which is bizarrely available from the Mercedes unit in the LEC) and I only ever used LW for cricket, and 5 Live Sports Extra is the one area where DAB has a genuine advantage over analogue radio. This isn't our holiday car, so even the occasional fading whistle of TMS as we cross the Loire isn't a consideration.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 30 Jun 15 at 14:25
>> It took a little tweaking with the equalizer to remove a harsh mid-treble resonance (female
>> voices or piano right hand) and it's best with the fader biased forward, but it's
>> now doing a decent job of keeping me from missing the Volvo. I still think
>> the Volvo system was superior because that just worked with all the knobs set to
>> neutral, but this is a fine substitute and probably better than Volvo's current audio range.
>>
I'd very much like you tell you you are wrong but you're not. Since Volvo buried the rear speakers at the bottoms of the doors,
in the foot wells, the depth and richness has gone.
Sound is best described as OK on the premium sound system.

Zero was right further up the thread. After retuning on Sunday morning driving around Pinner & 'arrow resulted in DAB working. Monday morning left for Gatwick and lost the signal before the M40.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 30 Jun 15 at 14:26
Oh dear. In their eagerness to stick tweeters where they can be seen, people seem to forget that midrange is directional too and isn't going to sound convincing if muffled by soft furnishings and passengers' legs.

Does the new S60 have speakers in the rear shelf? I used to reckon those contributed a lot in the old one, partly because they were set in steel, partly because if fed Steve Earle's Amerika v6.0 they could make the view in the mirror vibrate, but mainly because they were high up enough to reach my ears rather than my trousers.

The HK midrange speakers are all above armrest height, in the front doors and the rear side panels. They're not huge, but they don't have to be; there's a subwoofer under each front seat to do the heavy lifting. I think I'd notice if they weren't there but they're well-enough integrated not to be obvious, which suits me fine.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - rtj70
As Focusless says (should he be called A3 now?), the DAB in the Audi A3 seems pretty good. On occasion it can briefly have an issue even close to home - atmospheric issues?

You can see the grills where all the speakers might be on the A3. I have the mid range upgrade so I think 10 speakers including a sub-woofer and a centre dash mounted speaker. But the higher spec stereo comes with 14 speakers I think.

>> - atmospheric issues?

Nah, DAb doesn't suffer that, its loss of signal, nothing more nothing less. Usually its stuff (trees, buildings, hills, structures) in the way.
 Volvo S60 - DAB radio reception - rtj70
>> Nah, DAb doesn't suffer that, its loss of signal, nothing more nothing less. Usually its stuff
>> (trees, buildings, hills, structures) in the way.

But when it happens, it usually at the same place. Except it normally always works fine. Hence me thinking something other than environmental.
>> As Focusless says (should he be called A3 now?)

Focusless is technically accurate, and a name change would only confuse any female lorry drivers who happened to be reading the forum.
The new S60 does not have speakers in the rear shelf and as you say it was those that have depth and richness in the P2 car.
I believe the boot space is the restriction with the newer cars. If you had rear shelf mounted speakers and full under floor space saver spare wheel kit you'd have about 12" of useable height making the difference between getting two cases in the boot or not which is ridiculous for a full four seater.
Boot space was sacrificed for rear legroom.
They also ditched the telescopic boot hinges for old fashioned arms which also eat up the space.
Latest Forum Posts