Motoring Discussion > Face-to-face with a new Honda Civic Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 4

Face-to-face with a new Honda Civic - Mike Hannon
I’ve noticed some people on here have written ‘road tests’ of cars they’ve had through their hands, which presumably are aimed at helping potential buyers.
Well, I’ve just had a week with a nigh-on brand new Honda Civic 1.6 diesel, for reasons with which I will not bore you and, since it’s now a long time since I was paid for writing about cars, I thought it would be change to jot down a few thoughts which might be helpful to someone - and I’m killing time indoors because it’s still nearly 40C in the shade out there...
The Civic, in a garish sort-of-pearly white and contrasting black which didn’t appeal to me at all, was built in Swindon and appeared to be well put together and finished - a contrast to my Accord, built in Japan, on which the paint and finish is a disgrace. The Accord has made me believe that Japanese workers are now going the way of most of the rest of the world and don’t care like they used to. The Jazz for the French market is, apparently, built in China which, I’m a bit ashamed to say, puts me off the idea I once had of buying the hybrid version.
Anyway, the Civic’s seats were comfortable and there was, if anything, slightly more useable back seat room than the Accord has and the rear doors opened wider.
It had the latest 1.6 Euro V diesel which, when introduced over here, was advertised as guaranteed for a million kilometres together a six-speed manual gearbox - not something I am used to on both counts.
The engine was smoother and quieter than the 2.2 litre version I have and pulled well, as diesels do. The gearchange was smooth and positive, after just 2,000 kilometres. It was, to my surprise, a pleasure to drive with light electric power steering which also had a degree of proper feel to it (unlike the Accord, which is burdened with self-steering technology) and suspension which provided confidence-inducing handling and coped well with the road humps - some absolutely vicious - that have proliferated around here in recent times. But I am even more convinced now than ever that no car, particularly if diesel-engined, needs six gears! What a waste of effort - five intelligently-spaced ratios would have been ideal.
Through the 500km or so of local motoring I put on it, the computer said it was doing around 55mpg - not bad I thought but, of course, far from the manufacturer’s claimed figures.
The car seemed to be a mid-range version, with an odd choice of gizmos. It had good, if noisy, automatic aircon, cruise control with speed limiter, HID lights, pretty alloy 16in wheels, heated (cloth) seats but no power folding mirrors, no auto lights and wipers and no reversing sensors or alarm. I don’t know about the wireless and stereo - I didn’t turn it on and was reminded that it was ‘disabled’ every time I turned on the ignition. It also had a hands-free telephone system. I would describe it as ‘well equipped’ in any normal way, but after being used to the Accord, which has ‘the lot’ the choice of ‘extras’ didn’t seem particularly well thought-out.
As for the looks, well either you like it or you don’t - I once described the last version as designed to appeal to young buyers whose previous vehicle was a motor scooter - but I soon realised that when you are in it, it doesn’t really matter. The view out of the back window(s) and sides is no worse than the Accord but, like almost everything now, it has pointless dark tinted glass. I did miss those reversing sensors. The rake of the windscreen pillars made vision at odd angles a bit iffy too but at least the windscreen didn’t distort anything, as the Citroen C3 does.
As an everyday motor and in the light of the past week’s experience I might be tempted to buy one if the colour was right - there was a nice dark metallic red one in the showroom that I thought transformed the look of the whole car. But there’s no diesel automatic so it would have to be the 1.8 petrol, which wouldn’t be a great hardship except, this being France, for the wallet.
The one thing I would most certainly specify along with reversing sensors is a spare wheel of some sort. The Civic came with a tube of gunge and an electric pump. No thank-you - and the boot seemed amply big enough without the extra space under the floor.
At around €22,000 for the whole shooting match I guess most of the French will go on buying the local product, for 2 or 3k less but I would pay it - it appears the quality and reliability is still in evidence.
So there you are - hope I haven’t been boring and that this might help someone.
 Face-to-face with a new Honda Civic - Londoner
Thumb.
I always enjoy reading a review from a forum member. Thanks for taking the trouble to write it. :-)

I've always been an admirer of Honda as a company. (I've got a book about ""Honda Management"" somewhere on my bookshelf which I found impressive).

The Civic has many qualities, as you say, but I just can't get my head round the looks - both inside and outside.
 Face-to-face with a new Honda Civic - Dog
Good write up Michael, avez vous ever considered taking it up for a living.

:o)
 Face-to-face with a new Honda Civic - Falkirk Bairn
European Jazz are / were sourced from Swindon for the last 5/6 yrs - a few years ago there were Chinese Jazz on sale in Europe.

The new Jazz models due this summer are coming from Japan.

The New Jazz's sister - The new HRV is Mexican -despite being Mexican it will not get the turbo engine of 4wd in the UK - Not a Speedy Gonzales - it will be a cooking sherry 130BHP 2wd.
 Face-to-face with a new Honda Civic - ....
We have had a similar experience to yourself Mike with Japanese product and strange options.
Flawless Bluetooth, folding door mirrors though not automatic and cannot be programmed allow this function.
No auto lights or wipers and the safety button on the drivers door to disable the rear electric windows also disables the front passenger door function.
The car does have Auto park function with sensors both front and rear. You'd think a car that can park itself could switch on the lights and wipers.
You can take the list price with a pinch of salt, you'd easily get 3k€+ off. When we were looking at the end of last year, 1.4 Petrol Civic were available for 14k€ in Germany which was way below the book price.
Latest Forum Posts