Motoring Discussion > A close call... Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 9

A close call... - No FM2R
Bear in mind I live in a drive on the right country, so it'll all seem backward to you.

I was just, like 30 minutes ago, driving along a busy main road - Avenida Tobalaba if you care to try and find it.

Three lanes in my direction, two in the other direction, no central barrier, about a 50mph limit, I think.

Not 25 yards in front of me a large Toyata SUV pulled out with enthusiasm from a side road to my left and turned to go in the same direction as me. Except instead of crossing the opposing traffic he stayed on that side of the road and ploughed head on into a Mercedes and a Nissan. Utter destruction and exploding bits of car everywhere. The Merc ceased to exist from the engine forwards, the Nissan lost a quarter. The Toyota seemed superficially to be more normally shaped, but it looked like his engine had taken the brunt.

As it happens they all seem to get out ok, although goodness knows how they'll feel tomorrow.

But what in God's name was the Toyota thinking? Another 5 minutes and I'd have been coming back the other way.

The poor woman in the Merc, doing nothing wrong and then that happens. It was a CL of some description, I think.
 A close call... - Mike Hannon
UK expat? God knows, it can happen.
 A close call... - Old Navy
Why a UK expat? Many countries drive on the left.
 A close call... - WillDeBeest
Not many (any?) in the Americas, though. Quite a lot of mining-related commerce between Chile and Australia, so that's a possibility.
 A close call... - CGNorwich
>> Not many (any?) in the Americas, though. Quite a lot of mining-related commerce between Chile
>> and Australia, so that's a possibility.
>>
Guyama, Jamaica, Barbados, Antigua and more all drive on the left.
In Jamaica they drive on the left. In Chile they drive on the right. In Brazil they drive in the shade.
 A close call... - Zero
>> In Jamaica they drive on the left. In Chile they drive on the right. In
>> Brazil they drive in the shade.

In Naples they drive anywhere they damn well want.
>>UK expat?

It could be. It'd have to be something like that or drunk.

Even then though, not seeing two lanes of solid, oncoming and fairly quick traffic coming straight at you is going some.

Mind you, the traffic does come along in waves because of a major junction a bit further up, so there are moments/minutes of no traffic followed by a tidal wave.
 A close call... - Focusless
Did something a bit like that once here:
goo.gl/maps/Rj8pH

Coming from bottom left and intending to go bottom right, I (and many others) often used to avoid going all the way around the roundabout by turning sharp right a quarter of the way round directly onto the dual carriageway. The last time I did that was when I turned right too early and ended up facing 3 lanes of traffic pointing towards me...

A close call... - Alanovich
I see people pulling that schizz on the Showcase roundabout too, Fl. Am yet to witness the fire they must be on their way to.
Latest Forum Posts