Motoring Discussion > Tiny turbo petrol engine. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 35

Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Old Navy
I have been driving a 900cc three cylinder turbo petrol engine in a car too big for it. IMO it drives like a non turbo diesel and drinks fuel.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - ....
Shouldn't the massage be how you've been saving the planet and proving you no longer need a large engine to propel a large car.

900cc turbo is an extravagance in a 20 MPH zone.
Who are you saving the planet for? Humans are not a viable species and if they are they will be taken out by a natural event. I walked past the charging point at the local rail station today as a diesel train pulled out belching smoke, there was a PHEV on the charging point, no doubt there is a power station belching smoke somewhere to keep it charged.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 7 Jul 15 at 11:57
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Zero

>> charging point at the local rail station today as a diesel train pulled out belching
>> smoke,

Sod the planet, from time to time you need two mechanically blown 18-cylinder 88 litre two stroke diesel engines

Check out the deltic in the boats trains n planes thread.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Dave_
TG magazine's Paul Horrell on the economy of small capacity turbo petrol engines (and others):

issuu.com/joseaugustodantas/docs/top_gear_uk_-_july_2015/38

"In normal driving, all petrol superminis do 40mpg and all diesel superminis do 50mpg. All mid-size hatchbacks are 5mpg worse than that, bigger cars another 5mpg down. Subtract 5mpg for hot hatches. Crossovers are 5-10mpg worse than cars the same size. All supercars return about 15mpg, except for 911s which do 25mpg. This is actually true."
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - J Bonington Jagworth
"all petrol superminis do 40mpg"

Things seem to have moved on a bit. A colleague with a recently bought Mii (the Seat-badged Up) reports 70mpg. No turbo, though.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - CGNorwich
See point 9 in the link.
I'll quiz him more closely when he's had it a while, but even if it's 60mpg, that's quite impressive. It would be better still if we didn't have to have cats to satisfy the environmentalists...
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Lygonos
The laws of physics usually go out the window when someone needs to justify why they are driving a turd.

Ask Stu.

45-60mpg reported by these owners: www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/up-hatchback/readers-reviews/25975-5

Anyways....

joyreactor.com/post/1476931

Tiny turbo petrol engine. - IJWS14
>> The laws of physics usually go out the window when someone needs to justify why
>> they are driving a turd.
>>
>> Ask Stu.
>>
>> 45-60mpg reported by these owners: www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/up-hatchback/readers-reviews/25975-5
>>

So what!

On a run from Solihull to Stafford last year to visit the dentist mid afternoon 95% of the trip on M6 the trip computer recorded 84mpg.

Granted this was a gentle speed limit enforced 50-52mpg (both variable limits and roadworks with average speed cameras) and the traffic was flowing but this was achieved in a 140bhp Passat. Best full to full was over 60mpg and in that car a tank of diesel took you a long long way.

I tried a Passat with the 1.6 diesel but it was terrible - little engines are OK in little cars.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - PeterS
Our Up! (The 75bhp version) averages around 57 ~ 58 mpg calculated, which is an indicated 61 ~ 62 according to the OBC. It's 3 years old in September, but has only done 8,000 miles though... You can get it to indicate north of 70mpg on a journey, but it's tedious. Averaging 70mpg over an extended distance is probably achievable on the right route, but I wouldn't fancy it!!

Edited to add that the Up! is not turbocharged, but even so thrashing it will easily see fuel consumption in the high 30s rather than 50s...
Last edited by: PeterS on Thu 9 Jul 15 at 21:02
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Slidingpillar
Sod the planet, from time to time you need two mechanically blown 18-cylinder 88 litre two stroke diesel engines

Absolutely.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - madf
The day Green MPs and their supporters stop flying on holiday is when we know they are serious.

I assume they don't fly to Conferences round the world on saving the planet when they can videoconference? Oh they do..www.wclimate.com/wges-2014/

Don't do as I do, do as I say - the motto of the charlatan.
Last edited by: madf on Tue 7 Jul 15 at 15:34
Back in the 1.4 turbo diesel Yaris today, it feels exactly as it should, a nippy little runabout that can hold its own on the motorway. The Car in the OP (one of the family fleet) is parked on the drive until its owner is picked up from the airport in a couple of weeks. She is welcome to it!
My original post was tongue in cheek. Small petrol is great for motorbikes, lawn mowers and other light loads/work.
My wife's petrol hybrid cannot be used to tow anything including a lightweight trailer with a single 190kgs motorbike.
So was my reply.:-)
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Armel Coussine
>> Don't do as I do, do as I say - the motto of the charlatan.

And of the all-too-human parent or grandparent madf. Reproduction doth make charlatans of us all, what?
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Armel Coussine
And as for the OP, 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine in the tail, as in the ugly new Twingo, yes please.
>> And as for the OP, 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine in the tail, as in
>> the ugly new Twingo, yes please.
>>
Just proves the point, petrol is for weekend toys. A Twingo is not something you'd chose as a be all kind of car. Humph would be reduced to selling flips or flops but not both from one.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Stuartli
The mid-1990s Daihatsu Charade gtii had a three cylinder, 999cc 100bhp engine that provided 0-60mph in 7.7 seconds, quicker than a Golf GTi of the time.

The basic Japanese K cars with similar engines but restricted to 64hpb didn't hang about either...!

Was one of two passengers in a 2014 one-litre (125bhp) Ford Focus the other night and it seemed to pull fine.
I had a FIAT 500 1.2S overnight last night. Did 52 miles in it, the first 10 or so I thought this is terrible changing up around 3000rpm it felt gutless then I remembered it's a small Italian car, drive it like you stole it and rev the head of it. Totally different character and 24 MPG. Think I'd rather a 6 cylinder or take the hit and go 8 cylinder for that consumption.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 10 Jul 15 at 21:01
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - idle_chatterer
SWMBO had an ecoboost (?) Focus as a hire car in the UK last month, I think it was the model with around 100PS. she said it was gutless at low revs and returned about 40mpg over 500 miles. Not that great really, I bet the 1.6 it 'replaces' would have been nicer to drive and just as economical.

Tiny turbo petrol engine. - mikeyb
Interesting comments around the ecoboost engine - I've driven quite a fewfocus (both 100 and 125) on hire and they have all averaged high 40's into low 50's

I wonder if its just a case of adjusting your driving style to get the best from them?
>> I wonder if its just a case of adjusting your driving style to get the
>> best from them?
>>

Most of us are not mimsers. :)
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - mikeyb

>> Most of us are not mimsers. :)
>>

Last one I drove was Gatwick to Somerset - some traffic around M25 so average speed 55 - 60, but 85 mph past reading, so not being "gentle" with it
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 11 Jul 15 at 17:25
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - WillDeBeest
...85 mph past Reading...

Understandable.

Aren't we back to the point Manatee made in his insightful piece the other week? A turbo in almost any engine makes the power more accessible. A small engine - especially one with fewer cylinders - reduces waste and friction when going nowhere slowly, but power always comes at a cost in fuel, so the more we use it, the more we'll burn.

The magazine link earlier is spot on, in my experience. The TDS in my hands (over nearly 2000 miles so far) has returned within a gnat's crotchet of 40mpg (40.04 if you want spurious precision.) The LEC, a size larger and automatic, gives me 37. That's over 40,000 miles with us, and apparently regardless of what I do or where I take it; it goes a little over 500 miles between fills, and has never sunk to 35 nor risen to 40. It's just what it does, and my driving style over 500 miles will always regress to the mean.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Alanovich
>> ...85 mph past Reading...
>>
>> Understandable.

Unless you fancy a kebab, right?
"Totally different character and 24 MPG."

Much like the Kawasaki 750 triple of the 70's (aka the 'widowmaker') which could easily break 20mpg if ridden hard.

A softly tuned V8 would be my preference, although perhaps not in a bike.. :-)
madf

There is even a twitter hashtag for it, #greensgobyair

Their message doesn't apply to them, of course.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Notdoctorchris
This weekend we drove Weston super Mare to Whitstable and back in our Dacia Logan MCV with the same tiny 0.9L petrol turbo that ON experienced, in a fairly large estate car.
Going out to Whitstable the mpg was 57, measured tankful to tankful. OK, not a fast journey due to many traffic jams and slow bits due to roadworks and congestion controlling speed limits. Where we could we cruised at satnav 70mph with faster bursts to overtake. Kept up with the big boys when overtaking.
After one year's ownership, 10,000 miles I still love this car. In addition, it's the first car, since a Mazda 323 bought in 1984, that has needed no repairs under warranty.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - conquest
I've had a 1.2tsi 105 Seat Altea for a couple of trouble free years now. I've kept an accurate check on the fuel consumption (actual fuel used, not computer which over-reads almost 5%). At an overall 40 mpg it uses around 10% less fuel than the similarly powered 1.6 petrol C Max and two 1.6 petrol Scenics I have run in the past. As you might expect, it seems to be particularly economical around town - on the motorway there is probably little difference.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - madf
The DT has an article on the cars they drive for months. The 1.0 Turbo Ecocrap Ford Fiesta they have averages around 39mph. The 1.8 NA petrol Civic averages around 39mpg.

Smoke and mirrors...

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/long-term-tests/
Smoke and mirrors... ? More horses for courses I'd say.
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - Duncan
Nice to see you back, conquest!

Been any where interesting?
Thanks Duncan. Nothing special to report, but you've just made me realise it's over 2 years since I last posted on here. Keeping my head below the parapet I suppose, I''m a sensitive soul....
 Tiny turbo petrol engine. - IJWS14
>> Sod the planet, from time to time you need two mechanically blown 18-cylinder 88 litre
>> two stroke diesel engines
>>
>> Check out the deltic in the boats trains n planes thread.
>>

The railway Deltics were not mechanically blown - turbocharger sat on the end of the engine, Quite a small unit for the output.

Latest Forum Posts