Motoring Discussion > Diesel price? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 52

Diesel price? - Old Navy
I was filling up the car this morning while Mrs ON was buying the human fuel. As we drove away she said "Did you notice that diesel is cheaper than petrol?". No chance, I never look at the price I just fill up, how long has their been going on for?
 Diesel price? - WillDeBeest
Diesel still 1p more at the one I noticed yesterday.
 Diesel price? - nice but dim
I've noticed a 3p drop to £1.159 at my local Tesco. They are also dropping the Fuel Save promotion from the end of next month, sods!
 Diesel price? - Alastairw
Diesel is usually cheaper than Super unleaded. Maybe thats what Mrs ON saw.
 Diesel price? - Manatee
According to petrolprices.com, within 5 miles of Tring the lowest (115.9) and highest (118.9) prices for unleaded and diesel are identical.
 Diesel price? - Bobby
Over in the West ON, the prices are the same in many places though I did find a Jet garage in Glasgow yesterday that diesel was 112.9 and petrol 113.9.

I filled the car and so far it hasn't stuttered to a halt!
 Diesel price? - Armel Coussine
Prices vary constantly round here, up and down by a penny or two, never all the same recently.

I try not to think about it. A tank costs 50 quid or more.
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
Mrs ON recons diesel was 114.xx and petrol 115.xx at Tesco. The ASDA nearby is usually a penny cheaper, I will check their prices next time I pass.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Jul 15 at 15:30
 Diesel price? - commerdriver
Price in Marlow, yesterday and today at BP was 113.9 / litre. Used 42 litres in between fills
 Diesel price? - Dog
>>A tank costs 50 quid or more.

£20 more than I paid for my first car :o)
 Diesel price? - VxFan
>> I never look at the price I just fill up

I always shop round. Prices in and around Oxfordshire can vary considerably and there's nearly always another garage down the road who's cheaper (or dearer).
 Diesel price? - sherlock47
In france at the moment, and diesel works out to about 82p/litre.

Makes buying an english diesel car a no brainer if you do 50% of mileage ( 11k a year ) abroad.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Fri 17 Jul 15 at 16:45
 Diesel price? - Skip
Just driven past the local Tesco and its £1.14 for both. Normally around here diesel is 5p a litre more expensive. Could the explanation be that there is a glut of the filthy stuff at the moment ?
 Diesel price? - CGNorwich
Diesel is always cheaper in the summer. It's basically stuff as heating oil.
 Diesel price? - Bromptonaut
>> Diesel is always cheaper in the summer. It's basically stuff as heating oil.

Cheaper than in winter maybe but it's several years since supermarket diesel was same price or less than petrol.
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
>> I always shop round.
>>

I don't need to, I have a ASDA, Tesco, BP, Jet, and Murco within 1.5 miles their competition keeps each other as honest as a retailer can be. They are always within a penny of each other.
 Diesel price? - Bobby
My car takes about 50 litres or so. I always pay attention to prices as I drive about and take mental note of who is cheapest and fill up there when I need it.
At the most I am probably saving about £1, £1.50 at the very most.

I also pay attention to beer prices and would go to a different supermarket if I knew my 12 pack was £1 cheaper.

But with anything else out of supermarkets I will just buy - whatever one I am in that's where I will get my shopping. Won't compare prices of every bit of food I get - if its needed or on the list, it goes in the trolley.

But for some reason fuel and beer have different rules applied!
 Diesel price? - mikeyb
Having gone back to petrol it was only this week I noticed the gap here is now just 1p.

Lexus has a stupidly small tank so from light on have not managed to get £40 in one fill
Passed the place again tonight that had the 1p difference the other day; back to 4p, so who knows? Off to the New Forest tomorrow and will need to fill up on the way home. Usually a little cheaper towards the South Coast (away from London?) than round here.
 Diesel price? - Mike Hannon
Still got two-thirds of a 65-litre tank of 83p Esso diesel from Caen but resigned to paying 118p or more soon. Won't be at a supermarket though.
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
>> Won't be at a supermarket though.
>>

Why not, does your car need something more exotic than EN590 spec diesel ?
Diesel and petrol both 116.9 at the big Tesco on Northampton's ring road. Long time since i saw that. Presumably just the usual summer thing with low demand for heating oil v the 'driving season' stateside skewing the spot market.

Or are the issues around DPF etc pushing down diesel sales?
Not among the high-mileage drivers who actually buy the most, no.

Warm summer = heating oil demand reduced even more than usual. 117.9 for either at BP in Stratfield Turgis but others still 4p apart. Went mad in Lymington on the way home and put 47 litres of Shell V-Power Nitro diesel in the TDS to see if it likes it. We'll see.
 Diesel price? - Mike Hannon
I can only speak from my own experience. In France I use supermarket fuel all the time - there is a huge price difference and I have never had any technical problem. Having said that, my diesel car, a Honda I-dtec, definitely runs better and more economically on fuel from Carrefour than any other - a pity because there isn't a Carrefour near where I live.
Some years ago in the UK I was pushed for time and topped up the Legend coupe I had then with fuel from Asda. It ran badly for the only time in its long life, so my reaction was 'no more from UK supermarkets'.
 Diesel price? - Manatee
Went mad in Lymington on the
>> way home and put 47 litres of Shell V-Power Nitro diesel in the TDS to
>> see if it likes it. We'll see.

I use V-Power diesel all the time now.

When the Outlander cleans its DPF it gives itself away by using more fuel, which it squirts in during the exhaust stroke, causing the instantaneous fuel economy to drop to <=30mpg and the filter gets so hot that I can smell it it and hear it cooling when I get out of the car.

Fairly unscientific, and I'm going to start making a note if I can remember, but it seems to do that about half as often on V-Power as on ordinary Shell diesel. I put that down to its having less crud in it owing to the GTL content, as much as the magic additives, but who knows?

The oil level doesn't seem to be rising as much as it did on the standard stuff either - if that is in fact the case, it would corroborate the theory.

What I have noticed too, when the passive regeneration starts, is that using lower gears to maintain at least 2000rpm seems to shorten the process. Dragging up the A404 to Handy Cross the other day it completed in about 3 miles; I have known it take 8 or more. The fact that I am doing something different of course spoils my fuel-type experiment.

It's ridiculous enough that diesels with DPFs need to be used in a particular way to work properly; rather than fudge this issue the manufacturers would be better to include a light to inform the driver that a regeneration is in progress. That typically only happens after several failed or interrupted 'normal' regens. A colleague of mine was told by the main dealer that when this happened she was to drive at 50mph or more for 20 miles. This is not helpful when you (a) are stuck in slow moving traffic on the M25 and (b) have to be somewhere rather than driving around the countryside.
 Diesel price? - Bobby
I have a 2.0 diesel Hyundai ix35 62 plate and I assume it has DPF but I have honestly never been aware of it doing its regeneration.
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
>> I have a 2.0 diesel Hyundai ix35 62 plate and I assume it has DPF
>> but I have honestly never been aware of it doing its regeneration.
>>

I don't think mine did either, or my Yaris. The free flowing roads and distances up here seems to keep them clean.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Jul 15 at 16:14
>> Diesel and petrol both 116.9 at the big Tesco on Northampton's ring road.

Still a 1p difference at Sainsbury though - diesel 117.9 petrol 116.9.
 Diesel price? - sooty123
Both 114.9 the other day when filled up.
 Diesel price? - Skip
Diesel'd up today at the local Shell £1.19 a litre for the regular stuff. bit peed off that they have stopped selling v power diesel as that what I always buy - no demand apparently ! Will see if the mpg/performance drop off at all. Filled it as usual to the 3rd "click" - why do I always do that, what possible difference does it make, but I do it everytime !
 Diesel price? - ....
>> Why not, does your car need something more exotic than EN590 spec diesel ?
>>
I'd hope there was something exotic in UK diesel for the 20% premium charged.
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
It's exotic taxation. :-)
 Diesel price? - mikeyb
Crude has come down by about $10 a barrel over the past month so some downward price movement should be on the cards.

Noticed the Asda by work is now 1.14 for diesel and unleaded
 Diesel price? - Bill Payer
Filled up on Friday at what, bearing in mnd the prices in this thread, must be the dearest filling station in England - 123.9/litre for normal diesel. :(
 Diesel price? - Stuartli
Basic unleaded is 115p a litre and diesel 120p a litre in my area at present. Always a bit more than seven or eight miles away...:-(
>> Basic unleaded is 115p a litre and diesel 120p a litre in my area at
>> present. Always a bit more than seven or eight miles away...:

An interesting regional variation if still current today.

The issue was discussed on the radio this morning. Usual seasonal factors plus increased refining capacity for diesel fractions coming into service were stated as drivers.
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
This mornings local prices are, ASDA both £1.14. Sainsburys petrol £1.14 diesel £1.15. Murco in a tiny village petrol £1.17 diesel £1.20.
 Diesel price? - VxFan
"The price of diesel has fallen below petrol at some supermarkets for the first time in more than a decade, after the big chains announced price cuts."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33594585
 Diesel price? - VxFan
>> This mornings local prices are, ASDA both £1.14. Sainsburys petrol £1.14 diesel £1.15. Murco in a tiny village petrol £1.17 diesel £1.20.

So, you do look at the price after all ;)

"I never look at the price I just fill up" - www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=20227&v=t
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
>> So, you do look at the price after all ;)
>>
>> "I never look at the price I just fill up" - www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=20227&v=t
>>

OK, OK. b***** pedants. To put your mind at rest, my normal routine is to fill the car on a Thursday morning while Mrs ON buys the food. I don't give a stuff what it costs, or how much I have used. If I am long distance driving I just fill up as required, usually at a supermarket, they have a cafe and loos. Definitely not at a motorway services.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Jul 15 at 13:47
 Diesel price? - legacylad
I'm filling up the Toyota Sienna today so will check prices of gas in this part of the world. From memory, Valero & Chevron seem cheaper than Shell though.
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
When I first visited the USA it was 22 cents a gallon, I think it might have gone up a bit. :-)

EDIT-

And the exchange rate was $2.50 to the £.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Jul 15 at 16:45
 Diesel price? - ....
>> When I first visited the USA it was 22 cents a gallon, I think it
>> might have gone up a bit. :-)
>>
>> EDIT-
>>
>> And the exchange rate was $2.50 to the £.
>>
They still short changed you on the "gallon" though ;-) Or, did they do proper gallons back in the day.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 20 Jul 15 at 17:46
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
>> They still short changed you on the "gallon" though ;-) Or, did they do proper
>> gallons back in the day.
>>

Small gallons and a big tank. As it was a fully funded 5.something V8 in an Oldsmobile Delta 88 I doubt if it ever exceeded teens to the gallon whatever size they were.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Jul 15 at 18:32
 Diesel price? - Armel Coussine
>> As it was a fully funded 5.something V8 in an Oldsmobile Delta 88 I doubt if it ever exceeded teens to the gallon whatever size they were.

I remember petrol costing around 35¢ for a niggardly little American gallon over most of the US in 1973. Cheapest was in Oklahoma at 29¢.

That US gallon is like getting a schooner in Oz when you think you've ordered a pint. Bit of a swizz. Of course to any European petrol was dirt cheap in America even then. Yee-hah!
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
>> This mornings local prices are, ASDA both £1.14. Sainsburys petrol £1.14 diesel £1.15. Murco
>> in a tiny village petrol £1.17 diesel £1.20.
>>

Just passed Sainsburys again now both petrol and diesel are £1.15.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Jul 15 at 16:47
 Diesel price? - Old Navy
Diesel is still coming down, local ASDA diesel £1.12 petrol £1.14.
 Diesel price? - sooty123
Diesel 115.9 petrol 116.9 this morning at the local station.
Mine too (Esso in town) this afternoon. Can't remember when diesel was last cheaper than petrol.
 Diesel price? - Alastairw
Saw petrol at 111.9 yesterday. Unfortunately it was Morrisons, who don't do super unleaded so I didn't avail myself of the bargain.
 Diesel price? - Zero
Never see fuel so variable by outlet. I was in Southampton this morning, and the price of diesel varies from 2p litre dearer than petrol, to 1p cheaper, and thats in the space of about 6 miles. Unleaded varied from 114.9 to 118.9
 Diesel price? - Alanovich
The real reason for this, of course, is that I've just laid up my diesel powered SAAB whilst I cogitate and ruminate upon its gearbox situation, and I am using our petrol powered Mazda day to day for now.

The situation will automatically reverse should I return to needing diesel on a daily basis.
 Diesel price? - Ted
Brimmed up the Vitara with DERV today at Tesco for 114 less 6p earned off the shopping. Petrol was 116 a litre
Latest Forum Posts