Motoring Discussion > Is it me? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 12

Is it me? - Fursty Ferret
Or are Sunday drivers actually getting worse? The usual combination of middle-lane mimsing, frightened yet aggressive inexperienced motorists, ill-maintained cars and the usual incompetence of people who fail to read the enormous overhead signs until they actually see the junction they want sliding by.

Just a bit hacked off after the normal 45 minute home took nearly two hours. Personal thanks to the taxi driver who decided he was in the wrong lane and pulled back onto the motorway across the hatchings at 20mph.

Good brakes on the Volvo but horn sadly lacking in volume which made it difficult to express my displeasure at the quality of his driving. I'm assuming the two fingered salute he gave me from the window meant he got the hint, though.

I readily accept my driving is crap, but when I can spot it in other people it really must mean the average standard is dropping.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Sun 19 Jul 15 at 16:00
 Is it me? - Old Navy
One of the good things about being retired is you can avoid the weekend warriors who get little driving practice, clutter up the retail emporiums, and make visitor attractions untidy. Life is far more pleasant when they are all at work.
 Is it me? - smokie
Yeah but have you tried getting round a supermarket on a cold weekday when the oldies have come in for a warm and a chat? :-)
 Is it me? - Old Navy
It is great only having deadlines for the likes of FF to fly us somewhere hot and sunny. I am sure the workers are infuriated by, and envious of our relaxed pace of life. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Jul 15 at 17:28
 Is it me? - bathtub tom
Don't get me started on road positioning.

Got stuck in a queue today behind some idiot who couldn't position their car in the box for turning right. A long queue built up behind them of vehicles trying to go straight ahead, through a traffic light junction, which because of folk blocking the junction caused queues all round.
 Is it me? - mikeyb
I don't generally notice Sunday to be much worse, but today it was obvious.

Not sure if it was the sun being out, but lots of oldies dithering - one who kept touching the brakes in a 40 while only doing 30
 Is it me? - Old Navy
>> Don't get me started on road positioning.
>>

It wasn't me!!

Poor positioning is one of my pet hates along with lane wanderers on roundabouts. I am convinced most motorists are totally unaware that positioning exists. I will only straight line a roundabout if there is no one else near it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Jul 15 at 21:16
 Is it me? - Roger.
A good thing about retirement is that all days of the week are the same!
Today, for instance, I had to think really hard before deciding it was a Sunday.
I know it's Monday tomorrow, though, as SHE has mandated a really early trip to at least two supermarkets "to avoid the rush" :-)
 Is it me? - legacylad
I knew it was Sunday because of the larger than normal number of people out on the river....kayakers, rafters, inner tubers.
Thankfully it will be a lot quieter tomorrow, yet surprisingly little traffic on the roads today in these parts.
 Is it me? - Harleyman
>> A good thing about retirement is that all days of the week are the same!

Had three months of that foisted on me last year by my leg injury. Confirmed that my decision to stay at work till 70 (or beyond if I'm still fit and still enjoy it) is the right one.
 Is it me? - Cliff Pope
>> A good thing about retirement is that all days of the week are the same!

How boring. But at least your last day will be different. n:)
 Is it me? - RichardW
It's holiday season - lots of people on the m-ways who only drive on them once a year, and have no idea how to do it. Saw lots on the M1 / M6 yesterday....
 Is it me? - Paul Robinson
Yesterday was typical of my usual Sunday driving experience on our part of the fosseway - not too slow, but stupidly fast... Yesterday I had two racing bikers heading straight for me until they suddenly noticed at the last moment. Then another near head on with an F type Jag driver who pulled out to overtake and discovered he hadn't got quite as much power as he thought....
Latest Forum Posts