Motoring Discussion > Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 14

Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - bathtub tom
www.classicsonthecommon.com/

Anyone else going? Looks like the weather's going to be dry and warm.
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - Observer
"Anyone else going?"

That certainly got people going.

I might be able to get there. Should I wear a deerstalker hat and white cricket pullover?
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - Slidingpillar
I can't get there despite Harpenden only being down the road.

But I strongly recommend it. You will see a few modern, and mostly old classics and a smattering of vintage cars. Completely random parking, so the only time one sees a group of the same thing is when a club turns up, all at the same time.

The first time I took the three wheeler, I parked next to a Porsche 911 and the owners face was a picture as it was flies round a jam pot season round my car with his scarcely getting a second glance.

I've seen genuine Cobras, road-going drag cars, noise and acceleration as one left was stunning, a pretty famous Riley special, some vintage trucks and plenty, perhaps 1200 more straightforward really all sorts, just nominally over 20 years old (the likes of modern Morgans are let in too) .

Not a major place for traders, but the few there can be worthwhile, I bought 5 litres of low detergent straight 50 very cheaply. The trike rather eats it as it total loss oiling, the predecessor of dry sump.
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - bathtub tom
The usual eclectic mix as described by sp.

What really caught my eye (and ear) was this Peugeot, 100cc (yes 0.1 litre), 9-cylinder, radial engined motorbike. Running on methanol, with model aeroplane engine glow-plugs for ignition.

About two thirds down the page: www.stanceiseverything.com/2015/05/wtf-friday-instagram-radial-engine-madness/
Brilliant contraption. Caractacus Potts would be most impressed
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 22 Jul 15 at 23:25
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - Mike Hannon
'The first time I took the three wheeler, I parked next to a Porsche 911 and the owners face was a picture as it was flies round a jam pot season round my car with his scarcely getting a second glance.'

Neatly sums up why I don't go to old car shows these days, with or without my own. I now find the attention embarrassing.
I prefer to see stuff on the road - sadly, this UK trip I haven't seen anything like as much as usual. Last weekend, over three days, I saw just three interesting motors and, oddly enough, they were all Sunbeams - an Alpine, a Talbot and, nicest of all, a '63-ish Rapier with a Webasto roof.
My son kindly gave me a recent copy of 'Octane'. Now I know why I don't buy magazines any more either. I did get a result while book-hunting in a charity shop though - 3 copies of 'Bus and Coach Preservation' for 30p. I still can't resist the hardcore stuff...
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - Zero

>> why I don't go to old car shows these days, with or

>> Now I know why I
>> don't buy magazines any more either.

You missed the "bah humbug" off the end of that post.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 23 Jul 15 at 08:20
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - Mike Hannon
Everyone who knows me in real life puts it in automatically. You should see the Christmas cards I get! Last year I got a sheep pattern mug full of humbugs. Very nice they were, too.
Not bothered about the attention, and I usually have a lightweight information board that hopefully answers most questions. I don't usually do it for adults, but if a kid shows interest and is polite, I often let them sit in it.

The trike has been to supermarkets and the DIY sheds as if I check everything to go somewhere specific, I'll use it for a few days for ordinary stuff too. There really is no reason why not, it can get around 45mpg, and although it needs more oil and grease than a modern car, not really a major expense.
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - Cliff Pope
I've always used classic and near-classic cars as my ordinary daily drivers, and that's how it should be, I think. It's interesting seeing an imaculate car in a show, but I'd rather see a scruffy one in actual use.
Our previous Triumph once got mixed up in a vintage parade by accident. My wife was just going shopping, and kept encountering event marshalls trying to direct her along the designated route. Just going to Tesco, she kept trying to explain, in an annoying traffic jam of classic cars.
My wife, is not especially a classic fan, was nonetheless chuffed recently to pass another 2000 in Narberth, and exchanged waves with the fellow housewife.

Our lane is on a favourite run for the annual vintage tractor society. I'm not a member, but on two occasions have been out pottering about on the Fergi moving logs when they have all chugged by. Lots of waving and invitations to join in.

Classic car people are a good crowd on the whole, but inclined to be a bit serious about it, and curiously chauvinistic about their own particular model. There is a hierarchy. A Stag driver only gives a patronising wave to a 2000, but a 1300 will wave at anyone
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - Runfer D'Hills
That says more about English culture than anything else to me. Our current house is on a relatively modern development which consists of a few 6 bedroomed houses, a greater number of 5 beds, even more 4 bedders and a few 3 bed semis.

I'd never lived in such a community before and had completely failed to appreciate the social dynamics. But much to my dismay and astonishment it really is the case that the sixes don't mix with the fivers or heaven forbid, the proletarian 4's or the apparently clearly underclass semi dwellers. The fivers are fairly snooty with the foursers and they in turn don't really see the semis as their sort of people.

Being invited to a party at the home of a multi bedroom owner is seen as something of an honour apparently.

Of course the total pariahs are the renters who are ignored by everyone.

It's hilariously and pretentiously small town preposterous but as real and visible as can be.

Idiots !

( I'm a fiver BTW and am seen as subversive because I often pass the time of day with bedroom deficient people, some of them are quite nice actually )

;-)
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - Dog
>>bedroom deficient people

Dormitorilly challenged, Shirley.

Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - Cliff Pope
>> >>bedroom deficient people
>>
>> Dormitorilly challenged, Shirley.

Sub-spatiosiora
Which is one the reasons I wrote an article for Radio Communication (the radio amateurs magazine - house journal of the RSGB) about being a good neighbour.

Taking averages, rural communities and the north of the country are far better than the south.
 Harpenden classics on the common. Wed 22/7/15 - No FM2R
>>I'd never lived in such a community before and had completely failed to appreciate the social dynamics.

I think its always that way, not just on estates and not just with the English.

The bit you miss, I think, is that there is often resentment towards the bedroom blessed as well.

Latest Forum Posts