Motoring Discussion > 1937 Riley history Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 12

1937 Riley history - Ambo
Can anyone suggest where I can find out what happened to my former father-in-law's Riley, new 1937, sold about 1973? I haven't been able to get anything out of the Riley Motor Club so far.

1937 Riley history - No FM2R
Do you know its licence plate? I should think looking it up on the DVLA website is the first step.
 1937 Riley history - Zero
Putting the reg on here where it gets picked up by a web crawler and ends up in a google search might get some results, it certainly did with me when i quoted my old mans Austin 7 reg.
 1937 Riley history - Armel Coussine
I Googled 1937 Riley models and got a load of pix including dinky toys and cars that weren't Rileys. But a lot were, everything from biggish saloons through very smart barchettas to stripped racers. They were classy cars all through the fifties, made their own engines like Lea-Francis. In the end BL incorporated Riley into the conglomerate and vulgarized it with Austin/Morris engines and bodies. I think the last real Riley was the early Pathfinder.
 1937 Riley history - Slidingpillar
If you have the numberplate, try the Kithead Trust:
www.kitheadtrust.org.uk/
It is no. FMF 959. DVLA indicates it is still registered but the colour given is blue, whereas it was originally BRG. Mrs. Ambo reckons it was a Sprite but I believe they were all two-seaters, whereas this had 4. I have was driven in it once or twice and remember it had a pre-selector box.
From what I have now seen, the car looked more like a Riley 9 Lynx Tourer.
 1937 Riley history - Manatee
Google fmf959

Lots of pictures of it and a name that might help.
Amazing! The very car. Thanks a lot.
 1937 Riley history - smokie
How interesting, ain't the internet great??

I see it was driven in the Welsh rally in it's year of manufacture by M.G. Shorey. Is that the former f-i-l?

www.alamy.com/stock-photo-1937-riley-lynx-driven-by-mg-shorey-1937-welsh-rally-35001631.html

Also the Torquay rally

www.motoringpicturelibrary.com/Images?item=19677&order_by=2012-P-364.jpg&unique_name=Images&filter=lynx+cars
>> M.G. Shorey. Is that the former f-i-l?

No, his name was Bevan. As the car was registered in February 1937, he must have been the second owner, or maybe he photographed the car while M.G. Storey was driving it.

He took a lot of photos at car events, carrying a big old plate camera that often got him waved into press enclosures. He took the famous photo of Raymond Mays, looking puzzled as one of his rear wheels flew off, during a race at Shelsey Walsh in 1924. (Like a true gentleman, Mays was wearing a shirt and tie.)
 1937 Riley history - Manatee
>> Amazing! The very car.

I see there are two '37 Riley Lynxes entered for Kop Hill in September; reg numbers not shown unfortunately. I should be there on the Sunday so I will try to remember to look for FMF.

www.kophillclimb.org.uk/

>>I see there are two '37 Riley Lynxes entered for Kop Hill in September; reg numbers not shown unfortunately. I should be there on the Sunday so I will try to remember to look for FMF.

If you find it, a phone or email contact would make my day.
Latest Forum Posts