Motoring Discussion > Too close, too fast Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 24

Too close, too fast - Armel Coussine
Hurrying through the lanes today, met a car coming the other way on a bend, deemed that there was sufficient space to scrape past and continued at undiminished speed, 30 or 40 mph and plenty for the circumstances believe me.

The car was a bit out from the verge, clumsy but widespread in this area. When it came to it my car lashed through a lot of greenery on the nearside and shaved past the horrified opposition (who had come to a virtual halt without having the sense to goddam move over just a bit) by the merest whisker. Someone in my car even uttered a noise.

Another piece of crap reckless conduct by one old enough to know better. Hope the driver of the little black car doesn't know who I am and can't be bothered to find out. Damn damn damn...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 25 Jul 15 at 20:29
 Too close, too fast - bathtub tom
Get an in-car camera: www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Legend-HD-Vehicle-Recorder/dp/B005Q6CJI4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437863141&sr=1-1&keywords=in+Car+Camera

I bet even Lud could afford that!
 Too close, too fast - Dog
>>I bet even Lud could afford that!

Butt wood e'e want to, with 410 negative reviews?
 Too close, too fast - Slidingpillar
I've sort of had the inverse of that.

Driving briskly along a narrow country road, I saw another car appear, applied brakes and was stationary by the time it passed. The driver of the other car mouthed off about sports cars driving too fast (I was in a four wheeled Morgan) but it completely escaped their notice that had we hit, I was stationary, and they were moving. So the one that was driving too fast was them, not me.
 Too close, too fast - Manatee
Clearly your fault S-P. Had you been going more slowly you could have done a better job of getting out his way.
I was right over to the left, you could have driven a bus through the gap I left.
 Too close, too fast - Manatee
>> I was right over to the left, you could have driven a bus through the
>> gap I left.

Did I need to put a smiley on my comment?

This speed thing on country roads is a bit like the Micawber model of personal finances.

There's a speed that is just about safe, though it can be tiring to maintain it. 5mph slower and it's comfortable, time to look ahead and around, and to pick your spot/line when you need to. A couple of mph over, and you risk depending on somebody else to bail you out.

Clearly you were living well within your means if you were stationary at the scene of the near-accident.
That's the trouble with fora, no-one can see you being a bit mischievous and a smiley is often overdoing it.

This is not a terribly serious post and no animals or children were harmed in its production other than a slightly bruised tail on an overly inquisitive cat.
 Too close, too fast - Cliff Pope
>> (who had come to a virtual halt without
>> having the sense to goddam move over just a bit)

All too common I notice. A lot of drivers, perhaps half, seem to either freeze in those circumstances and forget that they have the option of steering, or else they find the effort of turning a power-assisted steering wheel more than about 5 degrees beyond their powers.
 Too close, too fast - Zero
>> All too common I notice. A lot of drivers, perhaps half, seem to either freeze
>> in those circumstances and forget that they have the option of steering, or else they
>> find the effort of turning a power-assisted steering wheel more than about 5 degrees beyond
>> their powers.

You find them in the car park, doing 6 manoeuvres with 1/2 a turn of the steering wheel, rather than 2 with a full turn of the wheel lock to lock. I am convinced they seriously don't think the wheel turns more than 90 degrees.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 26 Jul 15 at 13:20
 Too close, too fast - Old Navy
They might be trainspotters who don't understand the concept of having to steer. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 26 Jul 15 at 13:56
Its usually people who have to buy smaller cars because they can't cope with bigger ones.
 Too close, too fast - R.P.
You city slickers, normal cut and thrust driving around here....awful when the tourists are here, oh and some woman who drives a Rangie down our lane, can't reverse for toffee. Happy to put the side stand down and wait for her to sort herself out.
 Too close, too fast - Robin O'Reliant
Same down here, though occasionally it all goes wrong and you hit someone...
Where do these holidaymakers who are cluless on motorways, fast A roads and country lanes come from? They can't all be public transport using city dwellers.
 Too close, too fast - CGNorwich
I sometimes make mistakes when I am driving. Where can I learn infallibility?

>> I sometimes make mistakes when I am driving. Where can I learn infallibility?
>>

The same place I lost the smiley.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 26 Jul 15 at 21:46
>> I sometimes make mistakes when I am driving. Where can I learn infallibility?
>>

Not taught in the east of the country I'm afraid.
>> Its usually people who have to buy smaller cars because they can't cope with bigger
>> ones.
>>

I am not too old to remember my HGV driving days including the ones fitted with blue lights and sirens.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 26 Jul 15 at 16:46

>> I am not too old to remember my HGV driving days including the ones fitted
>> with blue lights and sirens.

I can remember when England wont the world cup, thats past history never to be repeated as well.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 01:34
At least I have done a little driver training beyond a basic car licence.
Ah memories.
>>Ah memories.
>>

I agree, the important ones may save your life one day. Unobtrusive rapid progress while staying safe is the aim.
At least I have done a little driver training beyond a basic car licence.

I got a day's training in four wheel drive and mud out of Vauxhall! After doing the first course once I realised what I'd been told in terms of manoeuvrability of the long wheelbase Frontera was wrong, it could do the corner if placed just so - so I did it in one and got round easily. I was copied by one other man, nobody else had the guts/judgement etc.

It was though a useful course.

Doesn't redeem the fact that the Frontera was by far the worst new car I ever bought and the dealers had to be pushed to talk to Vauxhall, despite them having specific contact details to speak as dealers.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sun 26 Jul 15 at 22:35
 Too close, too fast - Armel Coussine
My first cousin, a sort of sister because she lived with us in the forties, was treated to driving lessons from a wicked old Flying Squad driver, by her military grandfather.

She was a scatty girl in many ways but a damn good driver: just like that, 'unobtrusive rapid progress'. A different person almost when she took the wheel. And I'm a harsh judge, grudging with accolades.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 01:14
Latest Forum Posts