Motoring Discussion > BMW - And now, the end is near... Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 39

BMW - And now, the end is near... - legacylad
So finally having to sell my 2004 330 convertible.
Whilst overseas in sunny CA for two months my old Mum tells me that her leg is giving major problems and she can no longer get into the back seat ( or out of it ) and my 97 yo Aunt can only get in the front.
So, after scouring AT whilst abroad, I have decided on a limited choice of replacements.
The easy option is to send it to auction, but will try to sell privately first. After 7 years ownership it will be sad to see it go, and with a low annual mileage, and spending lots of time overseas, running two vehicles is madness.
All good things come to an end
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - rtj70
She chooses to tell you when away? Tell her to use Uber. :-)

Although keep the 97 year old aunt sweet if in the will. Otherwise why are you asking?

This is partly tongue in cheek!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 26 Jul 15 at 01:29
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - mikeyb
Shame.

You might find something crossover ish or 4x4 suits better for getting in and out
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - sooty123

>> So, after scouring AT whilst abroad, I have decided on a limited choice of replacements.
>>

What have you narrowed it down to?
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - Falkirk Bairn
With relatives in their 90's.......
Anything with leather seats & rubber floor mats will probably fit the bill.
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - Manatee
Won't appeal to you LL, but my 85 & 79 year-old uncle and aunt think the Roomster is very good for access. You can nearly walk through the back doors which are very tall and open wide, and there is a lot of leg room.

Most models also have adjustable-height passenger seats too AFAIK.
My mothers timing isn't the best. Two years ago I was about to board a plane on the west coast to fly home and when phoning to give her an ETA she told me that one of my best friends had just been killed hours earlier. Nothing I could do about it, but took the edge of the flights, which I would have enjoyed otherwise.

95% sure it's going to be a 3 series Estate. Got my eye on one now!
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - MD
Petrol?
Yes.
With my sub 10k mileage a diesel doesn't make sense, even though I do very few short journeys.
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - Clk Sec
xDrive?
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - Alanovich
>> Yes.
>> With my sub 10k mileage a diesel doesn't make sense, even though I do very
>> few short journeys.
>>

Set a specific budget to spend purchasing a car, and, if fuel consumption is the number 1 concern, a diesel will always make more sense (given the same make/model). The MPGs easily outweigh the extra couple of pence per litre. You can only win by buying a petrol engined car if you spend below your purchase budget.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 10:04
>> a diesel will always make more sense

Unlikely for sub 10,000 annual mileage.
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - No FM2R
>>a diesel will always make more sense

A diesel will generally cost more to buy, more to service and the fuel will be more expensive.

You have to be doing quite a lot of miles to fund that extra expense just with savings on fuel consumption.

Equally though, it makes sense to buy the car you want with the engine you want and enjoy it.

>> A diesel will generally cost more to buy, more to service and the fuel will
>> be more expensive.

My point has been missed here spectacularly. If your budget is £10k, and you want a Ford Focus (say), and fuel consumption is a big concern, then the diesel model is the best buy for that fixed budget of £10k. You can, of course, buy a petrol powered one for £9k. But then a diesel powered one for £9K will be a better buy, if fuel consumption is your main concern. Etc etc.

Of course, your final sentence is correct. But that wasn't what was being said by the OP. There's no argument to be had there.

If he prefers Petrol then petrol it is. But he said "diesel makes no sense due to my mileage" - I'm contesting that point. It only applies if you have no fixed budget to spend. As the OP has not stated a budget, we do not know if his budget is fixed or if he wants to be flexible downwards, or if he has a budget in mind at all.
>>My point has been missed here spectacularly.

And I'm still missing it...
>> And I'm still missing it...
>>

How? A £10k diesel Ford Focus is more fuel efficient than a £10k petrol Ford Focus. That's all.
>then the diesel model is the best buy for that fixed budget of £10k.

Aside from the fact that you'd be getting "more car" if you bought a petrol one for the same price, still you are assuming that the fuel economy would outweigh higher fuel price and maintenance costs.

Which at low mileages it may [will?] not.
Because of my low annual mileage, and the fact that the replacement for my 330 will be at least two years old, and I shall keep it for at least 5 years, probably more, I am slightly concerned about DPF issues etc. MPG is of no relevance to me, so apologies for the misleading comment I made earlier.
I've never owned a diesel car, but driven quite a few for many miles..A4, A3, Passat Insignia, and far and away prefer a petrol. I'll let you know the 330s replacement when it's in my garage...my sensible cap tells me to get the estate, and once back in the UK will look at one which has the spec I like, but boy am I tempted to buy a 5 yo M3 saloon.
Not sure the old girls will fancy dipping in and out of a 3 series. Still sounds a bit low. Have you looked at the X1?

Point taken on fuel, I prefer petrol too. I like the idea of diesel MPGs but I still might swap my diesel SAAB for a petrol motor if the gearbox is too pricey in the end (judgement day tomorrow).
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - Avant
"My mother's timing isn't the best."

Chain or belt? (sorry...)

If you can get a 4-door 3-series M-sport (or whatever it's called) that won't be any harder for them to get in and out of than a 3-series Touring. So go for it!

The X1 could be good but some crossovers are actually too high off the ground for old people: you'd need to check. Maybe a 530i or 535i would suit everyone.
I have two old relatives in-law who simply cannot get into the 4x4s I have.

rather than a 4x4, you need a car where the floor and seat are not too low and where the door opening is large enough to allow easy in/outs with other people's arms offering support when necessary.

I think a 3 Series will be ok on the height, but aren't the door openings smallish?

The car needs to offer grabrails for significant support, which usually rules out softtops because people tend to grab the top of the windows.
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - sherlock47
Whist people have said a large door opening is required, I would suggest that the height of the door opening above the seat squab is important for someone with reduced spinal mobility. I remember when my back was 'bad' the easiest car to get into was my Mini 1275GT - the most difficult was the Volvo 240. Not the obvious answer!
Both my 86yo Mum & 97yo Aunt have no significant problems getting into the front of my '04 3 Series soft top. The issue is getting out of the back seat. My Mum can get in ( just) but not out. I'm pretty sure the latest model 3 series Touring is higher than the soft top. Out of curiosity, when passing an Audi garage my Mum tried to get into a Q5. It would be impossible without a stool, which she used when I had a Defender for 6 months. Not that I would buy a Q5 you understand, although I could live with a Q3 equipped with the 2.5 petrol lump, but then again I vowed never to touch anything with a DSG box which comes as a no option standard fit on the higher powered models.
>>I would suggest that the height of the door opening above the seat squab is important for someone with reduced spinal mobility.

I agree, and also how far forward of the seat back is the opening.

You need to avoid a car where the seat is right inside, down and back, if you see what I mean.
Just like in mine. A few cushions on the back seat help, and in the soft top they are individual seats, set low and even I might struggle to get out after a few sherberts!
I struggle to think of a car compatible with elderly needs and your desires.

Given your planned absence, do you need a permanent solution now? Can you not sell your BMW if you're getting offered a good deal and just buy a cheaper stop gap aimed at the elderly needs - which is likely to be a tall Japanese hatchback with a piddly engine?

You could then address your requirements when a) you're in the UK more and b) you have a better view of your own plans for the next year or two..
They may be old but they are not decrepit! The 330 is probably worth chuff all in the trade, worth far more to me after 7/8 years ownership, but pointless and economically daft to run two cars.
If they can access a 3 series Touring ok, that is what it will be. Minimum of 200 horses though. I'm due home shortly ( cold weather boo, proper beer hurray) then not away until late Sept thru early Nov. best get rid of the soft top now rather than Nov methinks.
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - Auntie Lockbrakes
Should've kept that A3 diesel you were running around in...?!?!
It was cheap motoring...but.. A 1.6 Tdi. No sunroof. Barely 100 horses. It was fun to thrash on the odd occasion, but getting stuck behind a line of caravans, unable to overtake, both them & other mimsers, was too much to contemplate.
Lordy NO
Well, I have just made an offer on a vehicle
Unseen and several thousand miles away! The seller and I are fairly close on price, but due to the eight hour time difference I won't find out if the 'sales manager' accepts my offer until tomorrow. Fingers crossed. No part ex involved.
Anyone want a cheap '04 330 convertible?
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - Londoner
Don't keep us in suspense! :-)
What happened?
The offer was accepted, which I did not expect. Exactly what I wanted. Decent enough engine, although not a 6. Panoramic sunroof, my preferred colour, full spec, 18 months old and similar performance to the 330, being a 328.
However, have decided not to progress the purchase. I'm missing blue skies , 90+ temps, cheap Mexican food and lots of other stuff. Changed my flight and returning to CA & AZ a month early. Next month in fact. Unfinished business out there, the 'ancients' are on their own, and changing cars at a cost of multiple trips over several years ( at least 15 trips given my circumstances) is a no no.
Cheaper to rent a car for the day when back in UK.
No regrets, and my car won't depreciate lots over the next few years.
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - MD
Smart move.
>> have decided not to progress the purchase.

You won't be buying the car then?
;-)
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - ....
It reads like someone is gearing up to emigrate just hasn't worked out the date yet.
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - sooty123
Unfinished business out there,

Sounds like a woman on the cards ;)

Deffo selling the beemer?
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - Zero
>> Unfinished business out there,
>>
>> Sounds like a woman on the cards ;)

No he needs to get back to rescue his tent, huge forest fires in Northern California.
Yes Zero it's serious stuff. I was walking less than two weeks ago above tree level with one of my friends dogs, just SW of Lake Tahoe around 9,000' there had been a fast moving storm rumbling for a few hours when there was an almighty flash & crack with a lightning strike far too close for comfort. I jumped 4 ' in the air, the dog sideways, and we ran downhill as fast as poss to get into tree cover.
I took my friends wife 165 miles around the Tahoe Rim Trail camping in the dirt, and many of the supposed year round streams were completely dry and one 27 mile section was waterless. At least the TRT Association keeps updates on their website of the water situation. My friends use shower water for watering their plants, the lovely lawn I helped lay is a crispy golden colour and even Hway 50, a main route from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe was closed for the best part of 3 days following a wildfire near Kyburz. Strange , and worrying, times indeed.
Yes, yes and no!
I could do with a more practical car, but the 97yo is currently in hospital and not sure if /when she will be coming out. So, for the time being, keeping the BM. Looking on AT prices seem to have firmed up, although asking price & realised sale price could be poles apart. As I am returning overseas next month, and, at the moment at least, not returning until Nov, it makes sense to do nothing, although if I got the opportunity to sell circa £6k I probably would, then find an ex lease when I return.
Won't be emigrating until my old Mum passes on, although I may well buy out there before then depending on how circumstances pan out.
 BMW - And now, the end is near... - Auntie Lockbrakes
Makes sound sense. No point in tying up $$$ in a newer car that you will rarely drive or may want to sell in a hurry.

But keep the 330 for now; it owes you nothing and provide you have somewhere to store it, it can be very useful to have a set of wheels waiting for you in the UK.

Car rental charges soon add up.
Latest Forum Posts