Motoring Discussion > Honda Jazz/Fit - 2002 Honda Jazz - Youngest daughter, first car. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 4

Honda Jazz/Fit - 2002 Honda Jazz - Youngest daughter, first car. - Fenlander
>>>Honda Jazz, sounds a good choice... Older daughter took over my Father's 2005 Jazz about 18 months ag0... Shame they are not more popular with young drivers

From the other thread where I mentioned the Jazz purchase... some coffee time reading...

Started looking for a car for youngest daughter when she passed her test a couple of months ago... admittedly interrupted by our summer hols but it's taken this long to find one. Started out with a broad selection of possible makes/models... obviously limited by insurance costs. Gradually looking at examples in garages...wanted to buy private but didn't want to hassle private owners with her getting her head round what each model was like.

Budget was wildly varied from a shorter term £1000er to £5000 at max... and even a new car from Ling on 2yr lease.

There are very few cars in percentage terms for sale privately so once we'd narrowed the choice down to Clio/Modus/Twingo, Suzuki Swift, Honda Jazz it was still hard to find a decent looking car that met my needs for spec/history but also fitted her wishes for paint and interior colour (paint preferred in a nice met blue, sea green or perhaps yellow or orange).

Some of our garage experiences were hilarious....

A £2600 Jazz that looked great from the road but when I got within a few yards had so obviously been very recently major crash repaired... something the sales guy denied even in the face of me opening the hatchback and finding the black boot carpet covered with white filler rubbing down particles. It made him go from introducing himself as "I'm Saleem, your car sale representative today"... to "they're all my brothers and I don't know anything about them".

Then the £2000 Modus that over the phone was apparently absolutely mint. In reality every panel had a ding... the tyres could have lost your licence driving off the forecourt... the smell of dog (despite a valet) was choking and the oil in the petrol engine was black like treacle.

And the Jazz which was apparently a "lovely little car" with again near bald Chinese tyres... failed aircon... obviously not serviced in years (oil filter red rust)... spare wheel well full of water... and a dent or scratch in most panels. The sellers answer to every issue was "if you buy I do that"... by the time I'd been round it I reckon he'd promised about £2k of repairs at retail prices... on a £1600 car.

Then up the budget a bit a £4000 high spec Twingo in a lovely met orange. High miles for year so a history was important to me. Over the phone it had a full service history but once at the place this was "yep, it's got a full service history... we know that because we took it from another garage who told us the guy trading it in told them it had"... but not a book or bit of paperwork to be seen.

Unfortunately privately there were issues too... usually the "it was my brother's ex girlfriend's so it's not actually registered to me" excuses. Despair started to set in.

Then two weeks ago just before our holidays only three doors away we noticed a nice new shape Beetle appear on their drive and the met sea green 2002 1.4 petrol Jazz they've had the three years we've lived here moved out onto the road. Yep they were selling it.... and for well under £1000. Agreed we'd look post hols and two days ago within a hour we'd looked, test driven, bank transferred, insured, taxed... and moved it 100ft to our drive.

It's a very genuine example but typical of a 13yr old car in maintenance terms. For past few years just had a small service in the village at MOT time... tyres KwikFit cheapies... aircon failed last year and not repaired.

But the positives were an immaculate interior, very clean body, engine runs like a sewing machine and same family from new. It's a high spec SE sport so has nice seats, alloys, all elec windows, elec sunroof and extra airbags. Most importantly I know it's started every morning for the last 3yrs and reliably taken the guy to the station on the first leg of his London commute.

Off to Eurocarparts in a moment for service and other parts... latex gloves on later.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 09:33
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 2002 Honda Jazz - Youngest daughter, first car. - Bill Payer
Didn't realise these had got so cheap. Mind you, if they'd tried to sell it on the open market people probably would object to the a/c not working.

It's 6yrs since we sold our 2003 Jazz - in some ways it felt like it would go for ever but they're not without issues. I still feel a bit miffed about letting daughter's 2007 Colt go for a grand last year - but could have easily spent the same again on it and I didn't want to risk selling it to anyone I know.
>>>market people probably would object to the a/c not working.

There are a few jobs to do inc catching up on the more major service items that are so often left on an older/cheaper car, tyres and so on... I was happy with those but the aircon made me think a bit as we looked at it.

However the car is otherwise so ideal it had to be worth the risk. Investigating what might be up with the aircon this evening.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - 2002 Honda Jazz - Youngest daughter, first car. - sajid
Reminds me i had two jazzes one a 2003 and the other a 2007 both se 1.4, in both of the car the abs failed, it was the modualtor but luckily i had the foresight to extend the warranty, otherwise it was £1200 for the part and £150 for fitting, at the local dealer.

Now got a civic 2.2 ex 2009 the facelifted spaceship, the idsi is a torquey car, personally its got better interior quality than the mk2, the plastics are more robustly built.

They good on the town easy to park, great visibilty and can keep up with the traffic on the motorway, however running cost varies, on the motorway they thirsty unless you drive like a nun, the best i managed was 51.3 mpg, that was driving 40 mph on the motorway in 5th gear, so they higher geared meaning engine revs more hence takes more fuel.

As for buying a jazz my advice is to go for the facelifted version, with fsh avoid the 2003 models, i had my gear box bearing changed on my 2007 jazz under warranty.

Be interested in what the mk3 jazz will be like but just one engine limit your choices unless honda release a turbo charged version of the jazz then that a different story.

The mk2 jazz improves further the engine is a ivtec so it got a faster 0-60 time and top speed, again the facelifted ones are the one to go for, as they improved some bits, like the back seats recline as well.

I agree there are some nice more modern touches in the facelift ones... but this was about getting the best car for the money so the older one will be fine.
Latest Forum Posts