Motoring Discussion > Lexus lS200 - Tyre fitting & my ex! Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 5

Lexus lS200 - Tyre fitting & my ex! - legacylad
Called in a favour and was collected by an ex at the airport last night.....she lamented the fact that her '03 IS 200 had failed its MOT for the first time. Turns out that both OS tyres were worn down to an illegal limit on the inside which she had not noticed. The national chain sold her two new ones, and fitted both of them to the OS. She queried it but was told that was acceptable.
Surely the two new tyres should have gone on the back, and the NS rear should have been swapped to the OS front, then the tracking aligned to eliminate the problem of the two OS tyres wearing as they did?
Apologies if this should have been posted in technical
 Lexus lS200 - Tyre fitting & my ex! - Zero
maybe the tyres were directional? you can't just take off the NS rear wheel and put it on the OS front.
 Lexus lS200 - Tyre fitting & my ex! - legacylad
Nope. Not directional. I checked that out
 Lexus lS200 - Tyre fitting & my ex! - VxFan
>> Surely the two new tyres should have gone on the back

I've never adopted that recommendation, and never will do. I will always put new tyres on the driven wheels (only owned FWD cars)

That aside, it sounds like the tyre garage couldn't be bothered, hoping she'll come back in a few months for a couple more tyres when the new ones have worn unevenly again.
 Lexus lS200 - Tyre fitting & my ex! - Zero
Silly I know, but I always want the best grip on the wheels that steer.
 Lexus lS200 - Tyre fitting & my ex! - Falkirk Bairn
Inside edge wear is a known issue with IS200 with 17" wheels - 16" are apparently OK. The issue is something to do with the rubber mountings of the steering.

So much so that Dunlop made tyres with reinforced shoulders to counter the issue. A son was paying something over £90 a tyre for the specials - his 11 year old car which he has had for 10+ years has always suffered with the problem.

Car is now in semi-retirement and only does <3K per year as the standby car - last tyres were £50 each for a set of 4 - nail in new tyre at <100miles was a write-off so they worked out at £60+ each!.
Latest Forum Posts