Motoring Discussion > Tyre repair kits. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 6

Tyre repair kits. - VxFan
There seems to be quite a variety on the market, all claiming to do the same job.

eg - www.amazon.co.uk/Tubeless-Tire-Tyre-Puncture-Repair/dp/B0031Q198W (n.b. other kits are also available elsewhere)

Has anyone used one, and if so with what level of sucess?

Reason I ask is because I have had a slow puncture for 2 or 3 weeks and at the weekend I discovered a nail in one of the tyres.

New tyres on order as they've only got around 2 or 3,000 miles left on them, but was wondering how effective these kits are?

1. Do they make a permanent repair, or is it purely a "get you home or to a garage" repair?
2. If the puncture is near the edge of the the tyre, most garages will not repair it (as in the case of mine). Would the same apply for these kits too?

Tyre repair kits. - Manatee
It's a temporary repair, a simple plug. Used to be fairly common to repair tyres that way I think. Chances are it would be fine but strictly speaking the tyre should be removed from the rim to check for damage not visible from outside.

I don't think it's illegal as such but it a plug repair won't meet the relevant British Standard that tyre depots should adhere to.

If it isn't repairable with a mushroom patch then I wouldn't want it plugged either.
 Tyre repair kits. - sherlock47
IIRC this type of repair (known as string) was made illegal in the UK a long time ago. However it was still being used on the continent 5 years ago, and avoids taking the tyre of the wheel. Mushroom plugs are ok if fitted correctly.

www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Minor-repairs-to-passenger-car-and-light-van-tyres.pdf

www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2009/july/jul0109-british-standarsd-for-puncture-repairs-/
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 3 Aug 15 at 13:48
 Tyre repair kits. - Stuartli
Any tyre "repaired" using one of these kits will not be repaired afterwards by any reputable tyre fitters.
 Tyre repair kits. - Boxsterboy
I would take the wheel and tyre to a tyre fitter and get them to plug it (assuming they can - i.e. the damage is not too bad). Tyre gunk can ruin the valve whether or not it seals the tyre.
 Tyre repair kits. - Shiny
These kits are great, and I have done about 20 and none have leaked, even after 5-figure mileages. Upon removing the tyre, once worn out I inspect them and they are in supertight and form a mushroom head on the inside when you remove the tool.

The one in the link is a couple of pound overpriced and should come with a storage pouch really. You also need some rubber cement to put on the string, it acts as a lube too, to help you force it in.
There are lots of videos on youtube showing how to use it.
Only suitable for screw/nail hole.
If you stick the rasp into the hole and feel metal wires you should get a new tyre, as the steel belt may be damaged.
There is no law against this, BS standards are just standards - as in a benchmark or repeatable way of doing something.
Last edited by: Shiny Tailpipes on Mon 3 Aug 15 at 17:26
 Tyre repair kits. - Stuartli
Sorry, rushed my earlier reply. I thought it was one of those "inflation and sealant" type kits that was under discussion - should have opened the link...:-)

Recall having tyres fitted in the past being repaired with a plug - always proved perfectly satisfactory - but, fortunately, not had a puncture for many years now.

Wish I hadn't written that...:-)
Latest Forum Posts