Motoring Discussion > Owners manual Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 26

Owners manual - smokie
Anyone ever read theirs? Mine is a reference when I can't find something or work out how to use something, also quick ref for pressures and capacities etc.

For some reason (because I'm Dad, and I know best) I told my daughter she must read it from cover to cover when she got her Ceed. She said she's read better...
 Owners manual - Manatee
I can't lay my hands on it just now but I'm fairly sure the CRV one has 34 pages on how to use the seat belts.
 Owners manual - FuzzyDuck
I always found them depressing, as they had information on options I could either not buy or couldn't afford.
 Owners manual - Bellboy
m with smokie i only ever refer to any manuals if im stuck as they do my head in
silly thing is i found picture in picture on my telly the other night and ive had it 3 years so maybe a scan of a manual should be the law after all
 Owners manual - movilogo
I read them at least once from first page to last page. If I do not understand how something works in the car I check the manual.

I also usually keep a PDF version of the manual - mostly found from specific car owners forum

This time, I actually read the manual before buying the car. :-)
Last edited by: movilogo on Sat 17 Jul 10 at 18:20
 Owners manual - Old Navy
>> This time, I actually read the manual before buying the car. :-)
>>
>>

I did the same, pdf copy, haven't opened the one that came with the car. OCD strikes again !
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 17 Jul 10 at 19:00
 Owners manual - Ian (Cape Town)
smokie, photocopy and enlarge/download ALL the important stuff from the manual. ie, tyre pressures, recommended oils, fuse locations, jump-start procedures blah blah blah.
Add to that, AA phone number, and other useful info. At about 16 point bold typeface so it can be read in the rain/dark/cold by the light of a flickering match.

Print on both sides of A4 sheet, laminate, TELL daughter to keep it in the car.

*EDIT TO ADD* also, as a 'touch wood', one of those 'WHAT TO DO IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT' checklists.
Ta.
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Sat 17 Jul 10 at 19:16
 Owners manual - -
Hilux handbook 303 pages, good book with more technical stuff than most car handbooks.

Separate Toyota SatNav handbook 128 pages, and i still can't get to grips with it.

If you find a way to get a woman to read an instruction book, please post the how to and get it put up as a sticky.
 Owners manual - Old Navy
>> If you find a way to get a woman to read an instruction book, please
>> post the how to and get it put up as a sticky.
>>

No point, mine reads a recipe then ignores it.
 Owners manual - IJWS14
>> >> If you find a way to get a woman to read an instruction book,
>> please
>> >> post the how to and get it put up as a sticky.
>> >>
>>
>> No point, mine reads a recipe then ignores it.
>>

Mine writes out a shopping list, then ignores it til she gets to the checkout!
 Owners manual - Zero
Mine writes out a shopping list, and then leaves it at home.

Owners manual - Fenlander
With my new C5 I've had to read the manual loads as it's pretty well impossible to use any of the systems without instruction.... eg 20 buttons on the steering wheel alone.
 Owners manual - L'escargot
I've read most of mine, but not all at one session. The only omission that I needed to know was the wheel bolt torque.
 Owners manual - Mike Hannon
>eg 20 buttons on the steering wheel alone.<

That's yet another one off my shopping list then. Shame, it looks quite nice by today's standards.

I always read the manual(s) more or less from cover to cover. Did you know the XJS for the Japanese market was equipped with a warning flare?
 Owners manual - Fenlander
eg 20 buttons on the steering wheel alone.< That's yet another one off my shopping list then. Shame, it looks quite nice by today's standards.

Shame indeed if that factor alone put you off. It's a very comfortable, refined and thoughtful alternative choice to the usual suspects in its class.

I had to drive it on day one just minutes after the guy had delivered it.... initially I stared at the minor controls in bewilderment. Then I realised it had a steering wheel, gearstick and footpedals just like my last car and off I went. All the twiddly bids are now second nature after 6mths.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 19 Jul 10 at 12:09
 Owners manual - Boxsterboy
Of course if everyone took the trouble to read their manuals, there would be far fewer questions on forums like this ...
 Owners manual - Runfer D'Hills
Where do I find this "manual" of which you speak ? Mine's an automatic so maybe it doesn't need one.....

:-)
 Owners manual - Redviper
Ive got a PDF Version which I downloaded before I bought my car, and i read more or less cover to cover.

The hardcopy Manual that came with the car also re-read again when I bought the car becasue I accidently deleted the PDF*

* Re-Downloaded now :-)
 Owners manual - Slightlyfatdirector
"I always read the manual(s) more or less from cover to cover. Did you know the XJS for the Japanese market was equipped with a warning flare? "

What!???!!! Blimey, you have got the facelifted version Mike. Mine doesn't have any pyrotechnics (not even an airbag!).

What on earth was the flare designed to be used for?
 Owners manual - crocks
Is that the sort of flares that John Steed had on his Jaguar?
www.moviecars.it/images/auto/jaguar_xj_bigcat_b3.jpg
 Owners manual - Kevin
>Did you know the XJS for the Japanese market was equipped with a warning flare?

Is it because they knew that most of them would end up as boat anchors? ;-)

Kevin...
 Owners manual - Zero
>> >Did you know the XJS for the Japanese market was equipped with a warning flare?
>>
>>
>> Is it because they knew that most of them would end up as boat anchors?
>> ;-)
>>
>> Kevin...

Do you need a pyrotechnic, dont they self combust anyway? ;0
 Owners manual - hobby
Yep I read mine... though the hire car I have at the moment doens't have one with it...

Why don't car rental companies include the manual with the car?... in the old days when cars were simple then perhaps they weren't needed, but nowadays I feel they should be included...
 Owners manual - VxFan
>> Why don't car rental companies include the manual with the car?...

They probably do, but it could have been stolen by someone who didn't have one of their own, or mislaid, etc.
 Owners manual - hobby
That would seem logical, until you look at the "examination" they give the car upon its return... if it "walked" it would get charged for and a replacement bought... and I doubt people would nick it if they knew they were going to be (over)charged for a new one...

Personally I think that its dangerous to drive a modern car without at least having the ability to refer to the manual, if nothing else...
 Owners manual - VxFan
Most hire cars I've been in only have a laminated A4 sheet in the glove box giving the basics of what the controls do.

Maybe they just take the books out for 'safe keeping'.
 Owners manual - scousehonda
Slight thread drift but I've just bought a new TV and a DVD recorder. The manual for the DVD recorder is A4 size and runs to 96 pages. This is just about understandable given the complexities of actually getting info onto either the hard drive or, even more difficult, a disc but the TV manual is also A4 size and has 108 pages - for a telly!!
Latest Forum Posts