Motoring Discussion > Road tax changes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 18

Road tax changes - Bobby
Daughter bought sister's car of her - tax was due to run out at end of August and she bought it mid July.
Just had letter from DVLA saying that car is not taxed because under the new rules, upon change of ownership, the previous owner gets refund of any tax still left on disc and new owner must tax from a fresh?

On a £20 a year Aygo, am sure the part month refund wasn't worth the paper it would have been written on!
 Road tax changes - Bobby
Daughter just showed me the printscreen - car changed hands on 27 July and message is saying that the car hasn't been taxed or Sorned since the beginning of July!

So it looks like when the car has changed hands they have backdated the road tax to the beginning of that month? Weird!
 Road tax changes - No FM2R
I guess since you can't tax a car from 27 July, you have to tax it from 01 July.

Seems daft that they're still working in full months though.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 6 Aug 15 at 15:21
 Road tax changes - commerdriver
Would be interested to know how much other daughter got back, I guess it was the complete month.
As was pointed out when it came in sorning it for a couple of days seems to be the only way to stop an extra month tax being required.
Sounds as though it needs to be the original owner who sorns it to be absolutely sure.
As you say in this case, not a huge sum anyway
 Road tax changes - Westpig
>> Would be interested to know how much other daughter got back, I guess it was
>> the complete month.

No, owner 1 gets nothing because they taxed a car until the end of July, used it until the 27th, so have 5 days worth at the end of the month not used, which they've lost and in effect have had to donate to DVLA.

Owner 2 has to tax it from the beginning of the month, yet will not have used it until the 27th, so they are paying for a whole month and donating 26 days to DVLA, for the privilege of being taxed for the 5 days at the end.

Cake and eat it for DVLA.
 Road tax changes - CGNorwich
OP said it was taxed until end of August so one month refund.
 Road tax changes - Westpig
>> OP said it was taxed until end of August so one month refund.
>>

Ah...thank you.
 Road tax changes - ....
SQ4LB

>> Cake and eat it for DVLA.
>>
Set up a business and try and charge two customers for the same thing and you'd have some government body all over you.
Councils do a similar thing with residential parking. Sell 50 licences for 20 parking spaces.

store.badtshirts.com/dostgodolico.html
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Aug 15 at 23:20
It has always been like that - you can only pay for the tax in whole months. With the new electronic system it would be theoretically possible to tax the car from any date but obviously that would have resulted in a reduction in revenue to the government.

The car has only been untaxed for 5 days though.
 Road tax changes - Stuartli
All explained here:

tinyurl.com/pagf4ya
 Road tax changes - Rudedog
So I'm guessing that best thing would be to try and make the sell/buy on the first day of the month if possible?
 Road tax changes - ....
Declare SORN on the last working day of the month, sell/buy on the 1st of next month. If selling on the 1st without declaring SORN the seller will still pay for that month as you are only refunded complete months.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 6 Aug 15 at 21:17
From the buyers point of view yes. If the car is taxed the seller will lose a whole month's less one days tax though.

However you manage there will always be a loss of one month's tax in total shared between the buyer and the seller.
 Road tax changes - RichardW
It's only untaxed when you tell DVLA it's changed hands, if you get my drift... I suspect many cars will 'change' owner on the 1st of the month now!
"I suspect many cars will 'change' owner on the 1st of the month now!"

Only if you can persuade the seller he should lose a month's tax.

Road tax changes - No FM2R
>> I suspect many cars will 'change' owner on the 1st of the month now!

Couldn't be a***d.

Average price of a car, average price of a month's tax?
 Road tax changes - Cliff Pope
>> From the buyers point of view yes. If the car is taxed the seller will
>> lose a whole month's less one days tax though.
>>
>> However you manage there will always be a loss of one month's tax in
>> total shared between the buyer and the seller.
>>

Supposing the seller declares SORN at one minute past midnight on the morning of the first day of the month. They get back the tax for the previous month?

Then later in the morning the buyer comes round, and taxes the car online starting the first of the new month - no loss?
 Road tax changes - Kevin
>So I'm guessing that best thing would be to try and make the sell/buy on the first day of the month if possible?

No.

The best thing would be to write to your MP and ask them to explain why DVLA are allowed to operate in this way when there is no technical reason why records and refunds could not be calculated down to the millisecond.

Trying to find loopholes is not the solution. The system needs to be fair.
 Road tax changes - ....
That depends on how you define fair. Some government apologist will be a long to explain it is the same for everyone. What is unfair about that?

I'm waiting for the day the RFL is disconnected from the vehicle and applied to the driver on a 1:1 with the vehicle.
You and your wife have a car each. You have to be 'taxed' to drive your car and again for your wife's car. Similarly, your wife has to hold 'tax' for both cars.
You must insert the registration for the vehicle in a special holder on the windscreen. If the drivers face does not match the image stored with the licence ANPR pings the newly setup roads enforcement agency.
All visitors to the UK have to pay a one off fee for a UK electronic licence.
Want to hire a car for the weekend, certainly Sir! You'll have to pay 1 months tax though, that's the smallest unit we have.

Thankfully we do not live in that world and no government would ever come up with such thoughts.
Latest Forum Posts