Motoring Discussion > More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 48

More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - VxFan
It starts off with a cyclist (with helmet cam) accusing a Peugeot 405 driver of overtaking him too closely.

tinyurl.com/q7yxbvl - www.cyclingweekly.co.uk

youtu.be/9BrWuJWE104

Yet again I wonder if the cyclist would have been so "brave" had it not been for his helmet cam. I just love these videos ;)

n.b. Warning contains strong language.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Aug 15 at 23:03
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - sooty123
I saw this one another forum, the slow mo at the end made me laugh. If I'm not mistaken the 405 bloke is from Norfolk, got a twang if I'm not mistaken.
I agree these sorts of videos have me laughing away. Totally lost it.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Bromptonaut
You're either brave enough or not. The camera is just a witness.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - sooty123
I think its a comfort blanket for some.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - rtj70
The driver should have accepted he was wrong and that was the end of it. Loved the bit when he falls in the road running after the bike. What an ***
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Armel Coussine
>> What an ***

Well, yes. Can't help noticing how impeccable the noisy prat's 405 is though. Has he just got it I wonder? It wouldn't have stayed like that for long where I come from especially if he had had that much mouth when not on TV.

''Ere! Wot you fink you're doin! Vass gonna cost yer vat is!'

'Oh good God, what's the matter with you man? Just a little scratch, metallic paint isn't a very intelligent choice for a driver of your calibre by the way, sod off why don't you?'

(Escapes with much wheelspin)
>> The driver should have accepted he was wrong

But was he? The cyclist didn't appear to wobble when the car drivers 405 went by. It didn't pass the cyclist too quickly either.

I also notice the cyclist didn't give way at the end of the road and almost hit the pedestrian crossing the road, and the other 2 pedestrians at the next LH turning.

I'm guessing the 405 driver was just about to pull up (possibly outside his house?) when he saw the irate cyclist behind him and decided to carry on instead.

If you look at some of the comments left by Joe Public:-
"I see this moron cyclist quite a lot in Reading and he's always looking for someone to argue with. That's why he has a camera to provoke a reaction."

"The driver's an idiot but the cyclist is well known in these streets in West Reading. He literally cycles around looking for idiot driver fodder like this berk, then winds them up. He has taken down loads of videos he posted similar to this if he doesn't get favourable comments. The police have warned him about being too aggressive and one day he will get his head pushed up his backside.."

It was damn funny seeing the motorist falling AOT while chasing the cyclist on foot though.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 12 Aug 15 at 02:00
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - MD
An enjoyable start to the day. The cyclist is going to get seriously done over one day methinks.

Pratt.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Old Navy
Having viewed a few of these "Bad driver" videos online it amuses me that the driver of the car with the camera could often do with a perusal of the HC and some improvement of their own driving. An example was one ranting about pedestrians crossing the road he was turning into.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 12 Aug 15 at 09:22
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Alanovich
The cyclist claims he was keeping out of the "door zone" when the car passed him, justifying his position in the centre of the road. However, the video shows no parked cars at that point and he could have moved left to facilitate a safer pass. He has deliberately stayed out to provoke the driver. The driver should still have hung back and not passed, however. One must be the bigger man in these circumstances. Hopefully one day someone will catch Johnny Cyclist, though, and give him what for.

Two plonkers, I'll call the cyclist out as the bigger one, though.

Zinzan Street, the street of a thousand discarded needles.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Mapmaker
I watched a cyclist row with a van driver the other week. He then started kicking the front of the van, hard, and causing some damage before cycling off.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Boxsterboy
I agree with AC, that 405 is far too good a car for an oaf like that driver.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Manatee
The pass was poor, but normal, as was the driver's lack of understanding of the peril for cyclists of overtaking parked cars with less than 4' of clearance.

But the cyclist was clearly seeking confrontation. People like him do cycling no favours, even when they have a valid point.

I have more sympathy for the driver whose main problem is ignorance (also normal, and should not surprise any cyclist - we have to deal with the world as it is, while we find a better way to raise standards than threatening people).

I'd like to see some cyclist videos that give a more objective analysis of problematic road behaviour. They must exist.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 12 Aug 15 at 11:39
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Fursty Ferret
"WHAT ARE YOU, A ******* TANK?!"

Classic.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Zero
the cyclist tooled himself up for confrontation - two cameras? then at the slightest provocation (the pass wasn't "that"close) he chased the 405 driver around the back doubles to get himself involved in trouble.

Prick.
>> The pass was poor, but normal, as was the driver's lack of understanding of the
>> peril for cyclists of overtaking parked cars with less than 4' of clearance.

The cyclist was passing several car lengths of fresh air at the point of the car's pass. He could have moved over.
Inclined to agree that cyclist in this case is 'on a mission'. And not one I'd pursue in that style.

Difficult to tell how close the pass really was. It looks frightening on the rear facing camera but that might be on a boom on bike's off side. Rather less alarming from rider's eye view - presumably a helmet cam.

>>The cyclist was passing several car lengths of fresh air at the point of the car's pass. He could have moved over.

He could and should have tucked in after the silver VW but the overtake was well under way by then. The earlier gap, Porsche to Audi(?), was only a couple of car's lengths. Trying to move in and out of those sort of spaces is a mug's game - just adds risk for no gain.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 12 Aug 15 at 21:50
>> The cyclist was passing several car lengths of fresh air at the point of the
>> car's pass. He could have moved over.
>>

Not an issue in this case, but a major problem of doing this is when there's a string of cars behind is that you can't get back out when you get to more parked cars. The only solution is to stop and wait - for quite some time perhaps - or just move out, which annoys drivers and puts the cyclist in danger.

Incidentally, I agree that this guy was a knob for chasing the driver down, but on one occasion where I'd nearly been flattened several times while riding in a cycle lane (slightly narrow road, cars pulled into the lane when facing oncoming traffic) I saw red and remonstrated with one at the next set of traffic lights.

When receiving a "YOU DON'T PAY ROAD TAX, YOU ARE ON THE ROADS AS MY GUEST" bellow I reached in, removed the ignition keys and lobbed them over a nearby hedge. Obviously at that point I rapidly vacated the scene in a cowardly fashion and don't know what happened next.

Aggressive, pointless, thoughtless actions are not my forte. Sometimes though you can't control instinct.
FF's tale is a salutary one for all of us, and a reminder that it's best to drive a SAAB.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Duncan
>> FF's tale is a salutary one for all of us, and a reminder that it's
>> best to drive a SAAB.
>>

That's a very high price to pay.
>> That's a very high price to pay.
>>

VxFan or FF would not mind, they are reskinned Vauxhalls. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 13 Aug 15 at 10:31
Cyclist lays into motorist for not giving him "enough space"

Just how much room does he need then?

tinyurl.com/junt79x - Daily Wail

More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - No FM2R
What a complete dick. Its difficult to understand what was even in his mind.

What was it someone said about having a camera on your head turns you into some sort of stroppy, irrational, vigilante?
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - henry k
I agree a total plonker
Her response should have been " Stop harrasing me or I will call the police now".
I think she couldn't possibly have made him appear a bigger fool than by behaving just as she did.

However much a punch on the nose may have been tempting.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 17 Feb 16 at 15:22
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - DP
SWMBO had an incident like this in Farnborough a few years ago, when a bloke started e***** and jeffing that she'd cut him up. He hadn't spotted me in the back, as I suspected, was nowhere near as bold or aggressive when I got out of the car to have a quiet word with him.

All I said to him was "Do you only pick on women then mate?" He got on his bike and rode off. Prick.

People like this only pick on people they think are weaker. They are bullies. Nothing more. This moron wouldn't have confronted a 6ft 2 bloke like this.

Last edited by: DP on Wed 17 Feb 16 at 15:56
DP is absolutely spot on.
>> What was it someone said about having a camera on your head turns you into
>> some sort of stroppy, irrational, vigilante?

Suspect he was always stroppy and irrational. The camera is just an adjunct.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Haywain
Ah - a righteous lycra-boy - I'll bet he reads the Graudiad.

He had all the time in the world; he didn't have to slow down until he turned in to chase the lady.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Robin O'Reliant
I much preferred being a cyclist when it was a geek sport. The current boom has attracted some of the most self righteous plonkers on earth onto two wheels. I hope the police see that and have a word with the dick.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Ted

Complete dong !

Anger management course or coronary care ? your choice, Knobhead.

He's risking a big broken nose if some passer-by had objected to his behaviour.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - movilogo
People* who ride mountain bikes are usually much more easy going cyclists than those ones with road bikes running on sleek tyres.

* = I fall to this group :o)

The cyclist is from Eastbourne, it happened in the Lidl carpark in St Anthony's and the man has since been "given advice" by the police. I found his name as well, but since I can't prove for sure its him, I left it out.

However, given the level of abuse he's taking on his Facebook page and just about everywhere else, I suspect that he won't be doing it again soon.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 17 Feb 16 at 17:16
I love the bit approx. 1:57 into the clip.

youtu.be/otxVIddsub8?t=1m57s

"I still got a life"

Really? Are you sure about that.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Boxsterboy
>> People* who ride mountain bikes are usually much more easy going cyclists than those ones
>> with road bikes running on sleek tyres.
>>
>> * = I fall to this group :o)
>>

I ride a mountain bike, a road bike and a Brompton - but not at the same time :-)

What does that make me? (OK, you don't need to answer that!)
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Clk Sec
>> He's risking a big broken nose if some passer-by had objected to his behaviour.

I guess he feels safe and secure with a camera on his helmet.

More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Haywain
"I guess he feels safe and secure with a camera on his helmet."

Point to something at the side of him, then knee him in the crotch.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - R.P.
Wasn't Ronnie Pickering again was it ?
Who?
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - MD
Do you know who I am?
According to my friend who is forced, on occasion, to ride a bike through Rochdale - where the basic skill in passing a driving test lies in knowing whom to bribe - sticking a camera on his helmet resulted in far more considerate driving from the natives.

I think the overtake-and-turn-left issue is more to do with the fact that many people are nervous on the roads, and the bit of their brain available for driving is filled with "must overtake, must overtake" and the "oh, you should turn left here" only gets an edge in once they're past.

The above rarely happens to me anyway - what I can't stand are the closes passes at speed when there's loads of room on the right. I bought a rear-looking radar* for the bike and now drift to the left as the car passes, which solves the problem.

* the future, innit?
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Runfer D'Hills
Cycling isn't difficult, driving isn't difficult, walking isn't difficult. People are difficult though.
What was he thinking? Tons of room, he didn't need to brake or alter his line one iota for the car entering Lidl's car park - which has nice dedicated entry lane.

Compare with the Bretts lorry 'left hook' in London we discussed a few weeks ago. Cyclist there was properly positioned and on the ball and while momentarily discombobulated he had the space and skill to get out of a very real left hook trap without drama.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 17 Feb 16 at 20:44
You come up with some totally biased rubbish Bromp, any cyclist (or driver) who gets alongside an HGV deserves all they get. HGV drivers only have one pair of eyes.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 17 Feb 16 at 21:02
>> You come up with some totally biased rubbish Bromp, any cyclist (or driver) who gets
>> alongside an HGV deserves all they get.

From my perspective the HG driver got alongside the cyclist - in fact he overtook and then slowed down. My point was that by riding out from the kerb and being on the ball the cyclist coped.

We all knew the lorry was going left; if it'd gone straight on (and I'm not convinced even the driver didn't have that thought for a bit) the clip wouldn't have been on You tube.
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Pat
>> (and I'm not convinced even the driver didn't have that thought for a bit)<<

Not that driver, he's been doing London on multidrops for most of his driving career and he's almost as old as me too!

Pat
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - Focusless
Pretty accurate...

www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/helmet-camera-cyclist-thinks-hes-judge-dredd-20160218106352

:)
 More roadrage involving a cylist and motorist - R.P.
Modern version of the village stocks
Latest Forum Posts