Motoring Discussion > NOAH - didn't it rain! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 73

NOAH - didn't it rain! - Zero
I happened to be going to Bexhill today, and on the way at about 10:30 I found myself around the A23/A27 area.

The heavens opened and some of the heaviest rain I have ever seen* erupted out of the skies. Visibility was about 10 yards (thats not spray induced but pure rain) the roads couldn't cope, it was pouring off the South downs in rivers and across the road. The camber on the A27 around there varies a lot, so crown of the dual carriageway was the only passable spot. Many pulled over wherever they could as aquaplaning was the order of the day. I kept the ship on a straight course with a gentle right foot and light fingers on both side of the wheel.

*worse than the tail end of a hurricane in South Carolina I was in, but on par with a tropical storm I drove through from Johor Bahru to Mersing in Malaysia
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - R.P.
As dry as witch's whatsit up here.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - henry k
Well Zero, as you are probably aware in the Kingston area we had some rain this morning but not enough to sort out my garden. My empty water butt is now just full.
We are on heavy clay.Yesterday I could put my hands in the fissures in my so called lawn and today it is just the same.
My front lawn has been yellow for weeks. I watch the news and all the rain bypasses us.
Today we matget some more rain?
>> Well Zero, as you are probably aware in the Kingston area we had some rain
>> this morning but not enough to sort out my garden. My empty water butt is
>> now just full.
>> We are on heavy clay.Yesterday I could put my hands in the fissures in my
>> so called lawn and today it is just the same.
>> My front lawn has been yellow for weeks. I watch the news and all the
>> rain bypasses us.

Well its funny that, because my lawn is green and has been for a couple of weeks - we appear to have had more rain than you.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - legacylad
Still no rain here in Settle, although it may well be on its way

Surprisingly little water in the streams up in the Lake District yesterday.

Someone told me that if Noah had built his ark in Chelsea the animals would have gone in four by four.
Sorry
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Armel Coussine
It was bucketing down in the night and this morning with quite a lot of thunder and lightning (but I'm a late riser and there was some warm weak sunshine by the time I ventured outside). Then a thin sporadic drizzle resumed.

Doesn't seem to be doing the garden any harm. I look forward to some dry weather more normal for the season though, dammit.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 13 Aug 15 at 20:01
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Stuartli
Just starting here (North West coast) as I'm about to go and catch a bus and enjoy a pint.....
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - sooty123
Nothing around here either, been bone dry for last few days.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Old Navy
The South East always has it bigger, better, or worse than elsewhere in the country.
>> The South East always has it worse than elsewhere in the country.

Not really, you are in Scotland.

NOAH - didn't it rain! - Dog
Bin reigning ear since the Hurley ours. Stihl raining ... NFC {normal for Carnwall]
I feel sorry for the poor beggars camping with children. At least I have decent waterproof kit for extended periods of rain
>>I feel sorry for the poor beggars camping with children

So do I ... why on earth anyone chooses to come to Cornwall for their holidays never ceases to amaze me.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Manatee
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Spoke too soon. Heavy rain now.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Mike Hannon
What's popularly known as a 'cloudburst' hits the Home Counties for a few minutes. Yawn. Even my 94-year-old aunt warned me 'we're on an Amber 'be prepared' weather alert' at her old folks' home in West Somerset. Hahaha.
No rain at all fell on Weston-super-Mare yesterday. Now that's a REAL story...
>> What's popularly known as a 'cloudburst' hits the Home Counties for a few minutes.

Err no, I live in the home counties, have done all my life, have seen a cloud load of bursts, and this wasn't one of them.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Bill Payer
>> So do I ... why on earth anyone chooses to come to Cornwall for their
>> holidays never ceases to amaze me.
>>
We went once - never again!

Mind you, although it's improved in the last few days, apparently the weather in Florida has been terrible for a couple of weeks. It normally rains a bit, but it rained for days, and was (relatively) cold.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - helicopter
Pretty heavy rainfall in Horsham ....as in all the gutters overflowing like Niagara and thunder ,lightning and our lane more like a river than a road.

Funnily enough two of the heaviest storms I have experienced were inTunisia and Qatar which are not normally noted for rainfall. They do not have the infrastructure to cope and I vividly remember a wide hotel staircase in Tunisia which was more like a waterfall....

I also am very careful indeed driving through floods now having written off my Accord tourer in Northumberland floods a few years ago......one of those Oh b......r moments.

You can never be sure just how deep the water is so better safe than sorry, pull over and wait somewhere safe.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Alanovich
>> So do I ... why on earth anyone chooses to come to Cornwall for their
>> holidays never ceases to amaze me.
>>

I was in Boscastle for a week last October, half term holiday. Had a lovely time. Didn't rain too much thankfully................

Thought Eden project a bit over-rated, but enjoyable nonetheless.
SQ 4 LB
>> Thought Eden project a bit over-rated, but enjoyable nonetheless.

To be honest, i can see no reason why anyone would want to cross the tamar.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 14 Aug 15 at 12:46
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Alanovich
Because it's there. Usual human failing.
>>To be honest, i can see no reason why anyone would want to cross the tamar.

Neither can I, which is why I intend to stay in Cornwall, until I catch my last breath.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - CGNorwich
I thought you wanted to go back to Tenerife.
I could live anywhere in the world 'in my position' CG. The 'hot' countries are okay for a month or three, but you soon get fed up with the 90 degree heat eventually.

I've lived in Cornwall for 18 years now, and am almost Cornish :) .. Sure, it rains every day, and twice on Sundays; but, where I am at least, it couldn't be more peaceful, and that means a lot to me.

Great new webcam over 'my' beach, if you click on the image, it becomes 'live'.

wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Focusless
>> Great new webcam over 'my' beach, if you click on the image, it becomes 'live'.
>> wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074

Access DENIED!

Is it a nudist beach? :)
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - smokie
I can see it, and no it isn't!!
Works fine on my iPad. Isn't technology wonderful, when it works. These days I book cheap last minute ski holidays, and being able to view live webcams allows you to see real time snow conditions all over the resort.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Focusless
>> Works fine on my iPad.

yeah, it's just a very prudish filter on my work laptop
>> I can see it, and no it isn't!!
In that case I shan't bother
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - BiggerBadderDave
I worked onsite last week near the Old Street roundabout. Absolutely glorious and not a drop of rain although the editor admitted to being a bit wet on Friday at the pub. My green eyes apparently.
If we get bad weather or flooding in the North, the TV news channels might deliver a minute or two's coverage - if it's anywhere south of Watford it's virtually the entire programme about the southern softies' predicament...:-)

But don't get me wrong. Being flooded out, for example, must be utterly heartbreaking and take a long time from which to recover.
>>If we get bad weather or flooding in the North, the TV news channels might deliver a minute or >>two's coverage - if it's anywhere south of Watford it's virtually the entire programme about the >>southern softies' predicament...:-)

Thats because if the southern softies can't work, they can't pay for your benefits or old age pension.
>> Thats because if the southern softies can't work, they can't pay for your benefits or old age pension.>>

Another southern softies' misconception. I never had a day out of work during my career...:-)

PS

One of my best friends is a millionaire several times over.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 14 Aug 15 at 16:58
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - smokie
Just the one? :-)
One of my best friends has been a millionaire several times, probably not what you meant:)
>> One of my best friends has been a millionaire several times, probably not what you meant:)>>

No, meant mine exactly as I wrote it...:-)
>> >> Thats because if the southern softies can't work, they can't pay for your benefits
>> or old age pension.>>
>>
>> Another southern softies' misconception. I never had a day out of work during my career...:-)

you aint working now.
>> you aint working now. >>

So what. I don't require your financial contribution, large or small, or from anyone else living south of Watford thanks all the same...:-)

We who live north of Watford also generally have a far more genteel, less stressful lifestyle than those south of it..:-) :-)
>> a far more genteel, less stressful lifestyle

God that sounds boring. 'Genteel' eh? Not for me comrade.
I think it's north of the Watford Gap you mean. There's a whole lot of the South which is north of Watford. ;-)
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Duncan
>> I think it's north of the Watford Gap you mean. There's a whole lot of
>> the South which is north of Watford. ;-)
>>

No. It's meant to be Watford. It started out as a joke, see!
It started outs as the traditional divide between the South and the North, where the accent changes markedly and is the natural route to the north, the Watford Gqp in Northamptonshire.

Nothing to do with Watford in Hertfordshire
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Old Navy
Some people think that anything north of the M4 is a foreign country.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Duncan
>> It started outs as the traditional divide between the South and the North, where the
>> accent changes markedly and is the natural route to the north, the Watford Gqp in
>> Northamptonshire.
>>
>> Nothing to do with Watford in Hertfordshire
>>
>>

No. It was a joke! J O K E
Yes its a joke but the phrase is still " North of the Watford Gap"

NOAH - didn't it rain! - tyrednemotional
>> Yes its a joke but the phrase is still " North of the Watford Gap"
>>
>>

www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/north-of-watford

Yes, north of Watford is often used but is result of the confusion between the town of Watford and the Watford Gap which is the traditional North//South divide.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - No FM2R
I am not confused, I used to work in Watford and go home up past Northampton on the M1.

However, I always say "north of Watford", even though I well know the original phrase.

Its more about wit than geographical accuracy.
Indeed. As the smiley on my original post indicated.

I wonder if there is a definitive source.

"North of Watford" seems logical enough. I'd put my penny on that.

Watford itself is north of London and on the M1; and makes a better joke than Watford Gap which literally is the North to a Londoner.
>>One of my best friends is a millionaire several times over.

Pah! .. you can't buy an ex-council flat in parts of London for less than £1000,000 these days.

www.theguardian.com/money/2015/aug/13/ex-council-flat-in-central-london-sold-for-record-12m
>>Pah! .. you can't buy an ex-council flat in parts of London for less than £1000,000 these days.>>

Why would anyone seriously want to live in London if they enjoy a more relaxed, less stressful lifestyle up North? :-) :-)
Electricity, running water, moving pictures, flushing toilets.....
flushing toilets.....
>>

Cor can I have a go mister?
No, back to your gutter, snipe!
Pfft, how the other half live eh...
Best tek yard cloth in with yer... we're out of toilet paper and I forgot to get the Sun today...
>> Electricity, running water, moving pictures, flushing toilets.....>>

All ticked off. We've even got Flushing Meadows and 76Mb fibre broadband, although I opted for 38Mb as it's fast enough pace wise up 'ere in Norf; in fact my road and many others in the town were fibre cable equipped just over 20 years ago and now run by Virgin.....:-) :-)

Don't see many of these on the Thames...:-)

tinyurl.com/na6q5te
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 14 Aug 15 at 19:43

>> Don't see many of these on the Thames...:-)
>>
>> tinyurl.com/na6q5te

Actually me ole mate, you see considerably more up the thames than you do up the manchester ship canal.

>> tinyurl.com/na6q5te

Nearly all of those are hideous gin palaces for foreign billionaires. Only two or three ships you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen on. Even they look fairly awful.
>> Actually me ole mate, you see considerably more up the thames than you do up the manchester ship canal.>>

Does that include the ships from Australia that deliver the wine in huge plastic containers ready to be uploaded for the bottling plants in Salford Quays..:-)

Love it when a plan comes together...

tinyurl.com/nppzcfr

:-) :-)

>> Does that include the ships from Australia that deliver the wine in huge plastic containers
>> ready to be uploaded for the bottling plants in Salford Quays..:-)

No because we don't drink cheap grape juice from plastic drums down here, we get ours bottled in the vineyard
>> Love it when a plan comes together...
>>
>> tinyurl.com/nppzcfr

Love it when DH gets his fingers burned

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
>>No because we don't drink cheap grape juice from plastic drums down here, we get ours bottled in the vineyard>>

Same here - you get exactly what you pay for wine wise...:-)

Faustino Number 1 is a particular favourite.
>>Why would anyone seriously want to live in London if they enjoy a more relaxed, less stressful lifestyle up North? :-) :-)

8.6m people choose to live there, so it must have a modicum of appeal I suppose.

^_^
I also consider anything South of Barnsley to be pretty much Southern. As for flushing loos, after three weeks with an orange trowel in the woods ( or not) even a 'long drop' at a trail head was utter luxury.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Westpig
>> 8.6m people choose to live there, so it must have a modicum of appeal I
>> suppose.

The 'modicum of appeal' is quite often the money.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - Bromptonaut
>> The 'modicum of appeal' is quite often the money.
>>
>>

Together with being told London is where career opportunities are.

>> Together with being told London is where career opportunities are.
>>

In fairness, it does depend on the career.
>>>> Together with being told London is where career opportunities are

In my line most of my work in England is either in London or heavily linked to it.
If you are young and single, there is no better place in the Uk than London to work in.
S'not bad if you're old and married!! I love the place.
>> S'not bad if you're old and married!! I love the place.

Certainly isn't. Young and single, old and married, what's the difference? Always was where it was at. Forget the damn provinces, they don't count.
 NOAH - didn't it rain! - J Bonington Jagworth
"The 'ouses were soon under water
And folks to the roof 'ad to climb.
They said 'twas the rottenest summer
That Bury 'ad 'ad for some time."

From 'Three ha'pence a foot', performed by Stanley Holloway and describing the arrival in Lancashire of Noah, who, "not liking the look of the weather, were thinking of building an Ark".

Our car (xxx NOA) is also called Noah, not least because the day we bought it was wet from dawn to dusk. At least it established how waterproof the car was, which had been a concern as it was my first vehicle with frameless side windows.
Latest Forum Posts