Motoring Discussion > The old speeding in a MICRA Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 34

The old speeding in a MICRA - henry k
Not your usual speeding event !

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-33929339
 The old speeding in a MICRA - Old Navy
My geriatric policy is never be in a hurry and never hold up the traffic. Go with the flow, excluding mimsers of course. :-)
 The old speeding in a MICRA - Armel Coussine
He may well have been driving perfectly well. The police comments quoted are utter balderdash.

Silly of him to get clocked of course, but it can happen to the best of us. Doing a ton is perfectly all right in itself.
>> Doing a ton is perfectly all right in itself.

But the beeb and its website clearly expect us to be shocked and horrified by the figure itself.

Slow down! Slow down! If you keep doing it there won't be any movement so there can't be any crashes! Anyway not at illegal speeds, and that's what really matters (not people being run over and crushed by bored, hypnotized, hopeless drivers. That's only to be expected. You can't have everything when the citizenry are systematically infantilized. The automobile has always been a mixed blessing even in competent hands. Poop-poop!).
 The old speeding in a MICRA - WillDeBeest
Disappointed that nobody took your bait the first time, AC?
>> Disappointed that nobody took your bait the first time, AC?

Not in the least. If anyone wants to argue they need to make sense. I make these posts because I'm genuinely outraged by this baby stuff about speed. It isn't 'bait'.
 The old speeding in a MICRA - No FM2R
A Micra doesn't seem the ideal vehicle to do 100mph in and an 84 year old man must have slower reactions if something goes wrong.

He could be driving perfectly, but if some other driver does something dumb, or something happens to the car, then at 84 yrs and 100mph he is not going to cope as well as someone 35yrs at 70mph.

daft to defend it.
>> could be driving perfectly, but if some other driver does something dumb, or something happens to the car, then at 84 yrs and 100mph he is not going to cope as well as someone 35yrs at 70mph.

That applies to anyone at any speed: the unexpected from an unexpected quarter can get anyone any time. If you don't know this from experience you're still a learner. Moreover the 84 year old might well cope better than someone younger and jumpier. Accurate and measured reactions, with good long anticipation, are a damn sight more use than fast wild ones. They're only cars, not spaceships.
 The old speeding in a MICRA - Manatee
Most people's reactions in an emergency, speedy or not, are the wrong ones. Few press the brake pedal hard enough, or actually remember they can steer.
>> Few press the brake pedal hard enough, or actually remember they can steer.

... or are quick and rational enough to release the pedal sufficiently to regain steering... very heavy braking can lock all wheels especially the front ones.

Hairy moments of that sort are best avoided in advance so to speak. Terrible for the heart. Been there and done it, more than once.

>> daft to defend it.

We can't credibly defend him because we don't know if he is as sharp as a tack or completely gaga.

But we have all done 100mph on a motorway, and while it might be illegal it isn't that fast in the right circumstances.
 The old speeding in a MICRA - CGNorwich
Have we?

>> Have we?

D'you mean you haven't CGN? What, never ever? Hell's bells!
No I haven't. Is it that extraordinary?
>> Is it that extraordinary?

I don't know really. Seems eccentric to me though.

Most cars aren't as fast as they pretend by quite a margin. But they can usually manage a whining juddering 100 down a decent hill surely?

Actually that Micra looks better than that. Tidy-looking little jalopy.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 14 Aug 15 at 21:43
 The old speeding in a MICRA - Zero
>> Have we?

you will have, if Norfolk ever gets a Motorway.
That doesn't make sense.
not going to bother to explain it.
I doubt that even you could unravel that confusion of tenses.
>>I doubt that even you could unravel that confusion of tenses.

Is it wrong?

Yes.
Given that I'm sure you know what he meant, how should it have been written?
You might, should Norfolk ever get a motorway.
>>You might, should Norfolk ever get a motorway.

If Zero will forgive me making statements about his intentions, he didn't mean "might", he meant that there was certainty.

So that would be more appropriately;

"You will, should Norfolk ever get a motorway".

But then one might wonder "will what", so that would be;

"You will have driven at 100mph should Norfolk ever get a motorway"

Or, as he wrote, a little lazily but acceptably since the subject was well known;

"You will have should Norfolk ever get a motorway"

Obviously he further implied that it was unlikely that Norfolk would get a motorway, so he wrote;

"You will have, if Norfolk ever gets a Motorway"

So I'm not really sure which bit you feel makes no sense, or that is materially incorrect?

Or were you just trying to be clever?
I rather think you are the one trying to be clever. If Zero wished to explain what he meant I'm sure he would but he doesn't.
A bit of ageism in that report. Maybe his reactions aren't as good as they were at 24, but a competent driver rarely needs quick reactions.

Of course he could be completely gaga...
>> a competent driver rarely needs quick reactions.

Just so. Virtually never really.
>> A bit of ageism in that report. Maybe his reactions aren't as good as they
>> were at 24, but a competent driver rarely needs quick reactions.

If he is a good driver, he was doing 100mph it was because it was clear there would be no need for quick reactions.

>> Of course he could be completely gaga...

then he didn't know he was doing 100mph.
 The old speeding in a MICRA - henry k
>> If he is a good driver, he was doing 100mph it was because it was
>> clear there would be no need for quick reactions.
>>
>> >> Of course he could be completely gaga... then he didn't know he was doing 100mph.
>>
Or had a big smile as he must have taken a while to wind up to that speed and be driving the nuts off a Micra.
Radar guns always get the speed right ! right?
There are some good hills on the M62. Not difficult to get to 100.
The Beeb is packed with loony left car hating cyclists, no surprise at the tone of the report.
I applaud your ability to get an anti-cyclist dig into just about anything!
I left out the sandals, I wear them sometimes. And ride a bike. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 14 Aug 15 at 18:58
 The old speeding in a MICRA - J Bonington Jagworth
I am an occasional cyclist, but I still find them annoying when I join a queue of traffic behind a lorry that can't get past a cyclist on a single-carriageway road, which they all are where I live. I've driven a couple of miles in this sort of convoy, and when it invariably occurs to me that the nominal saving in fuel by the cyclist is completely offset by the extra consumption of all the vehicles following in a low gear!

The old speeding in a MICRA - J Bonington Jagworth
I'm not sure what's relevant about his status as a grandparent. Most 84-year olds are.
Latest Forum Posts