Motoring Discussion > Seat covers & airbags Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Redviper Replies: 15

Seat covers & airbags - Redviper
Hi all
I want to get some seat covers For my car however I've got these airbags in the side of the seats .
The ones that I want are not airbag "friendly".

What would happen if I did get these non friendly ones in the event of a accident, would it really matter as the rest of the car would be in a sorry state if the airbags have been deployed.
 Seat covers & airbags - Runfer D'Hills
Not sure what would happen exactly but I bet it would be quite funny......
 Seat covers & airbags - VxFan
>> What would happen if I did get these non friendly ones in the event of
>> a accident, would it really matter .....

From what I understand the seat airbag is there to help act as a initial barrier between you and the B pillar should someone T-bone you. Restricting it with a cover not designed for seat airbags *could* have all manner of end results. One of which being your car insurance being void as you've altered a safety device that is used to help calculate the euro ncap rating.

There are plenty of seat covers on the market that are designed for seats with airbags.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 18 Jul 10 at 00:46
 Seat covers & airbags - Mike Hannon
I can remember when a 'seat cover' was something nice to look at, sitting next to you.

I'm down and I'm gone...
 Seat covers & airbags - Iffy
...seat cover something nice to look at...

A hep cat.
 Seat covers & airbags - FotheringtonTomas
You are an unreconstructed AM CB-er AICMFFSCs.
Restricting it with a
>> cover not designed for seat airbags *could* have all manner of end results. One of
>> which being your car insurance being void as you've altered a safety device that is
>> used to help calculate the euro ncap rating.

Good Point I never thought of that,

The reason I want one, is that after a day stood at the side of a race track (or going to) my overalls can be quite dusty, and sometimes its not possible for me to get changed so I would just like something to keep the dust and dirt off the seat

Seat covers & airbags - Zero
I have been in a crash where the side airbags deployed. They give you a bad enough punch in the side when allowed to deploy properly,but if restricted in deployment pattern its entirely possible they could do you severe damage.

Funny? hmmm wouldnt bet on it.
 Seat covers & airbags - VxFan
>> The reason I want one, is that after a day stood at the side of
>> a race track (or going to) my overalls can be quite dusty, and sometimes its
>> not possible for me to get changed so I would just like something to keep
>> the dust and dirt off the seat

Why not just chuck a blanket over it, or something similar to a 'throw' that you'd use on your settee.

Alternately those disposable plastic seat covers that mechanics use (or are supposed to!) when you take your car in for servicing.
 Seat covers & airbags - Zero
the ones they charge you for?
 Seat covers & airbags - Bellboy
>> the ones they charge you for?
>>
>well they do cost 17 new pence each..........
Yes good Idea, Thanks ill look into it.
 Seat covers & airbags - henry k
The thin plastic jobs seems the best idea. I cannot see them affecting an air bag deployment.
Obviously fit it when exiting the car on arrival :-)
 Seat covers & airbags - movilogo
>> What would happen if I did get these non friendly ones in the event of a accident,

Airbags save lives!

Do you want to mess with them??
>> Airbags save lives!
>>
>> Do you want to mess with them??

Not Really thats why I was wondering :-)
 Seat covers & airbags - rtj70
I would imagine a side airbag going off inside a seat cover will push you forward in an accident. Not what you want... might be interesting what injury that may entail when the seat belts have tightened too.
Latest Forum Posts