Motoring Discussion > Halfords fully synthetic oil deal Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 19

Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - Fenlander
Just a heads up that Halfords have a deal on in store at the moment with own brand (Comma made) 4l fully synthetic oil at £12. They had 5/30 and 5/40.

When I called in an hour ago there were two different labels available on the display and one met the BMW long life spec so a real bargain... particularly as I have 3 family cars to do this week as they've all got in sync with a summer MOT/service.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - Stuartli
Great price, but don't forget EuroCarParts and GSF, who are now remarkably competitive on a wide range of products.

Makes you wonder what profit margins they used to achieve before about six months ago? :-)
Yep bought all the filters etc from ECP after getting the oil at Halfords.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - Alanovich
Annoys me that some makers only sell 4l bottles. Most of my cars do/did take over 4 litres.

ECP's Triple QX comes in 5l bottles, so I always get that brand. £20 for 5l 5w/30 fully synth this week for the Mazda.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - RattleandSmoke
I am not sure if it is snake oil, but I was amazed how much better my engine sounded after I sourced some Shell fully synth oil for my service. The engine was sounding a little tappety but after the service it now idles more less silently. Maybe oil changes once a year is not enough for my Panda given my stop start driving nature.

I am not a massive fan of ECP though, my local branch is a joke.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - Dog
>>I was amazed how much better my engine sounded after I sourced some Shell fully synth oil for my service

I've only ever used Shell oil in my Forester in the 2.5 years I've owned it = Helix HX7 semi skimmed.

The pain dealers used to use it too, going by the service record book.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - Robin O'Reliant
I still use semi. Should I change?
>> I still use semi. Should I change?
>>

Why not? Fully synth is very cheap now, so long as you stay away from the rip-off overmarketed "premium" brands.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - spamcan61
>> >> I still use semi. Should I change?
>> >>
>>
>> Why not? Fully synth is very cheap now, so long as you stay away from
>> the rip-off overmarketed "premium" brands.
>>
I was looking in the user manual for SWMBO's 2012 Meriva for details of oil specs., seems if you're in most of Europe they want to buy their GM 'premium' spec. 'Dexon 2', but in Belarus and various other countries you can use 'normal' ACEA A3. I smell a rip off.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - Old Navy
>> I smell a rip off.
>>

So do I, buyer ignorance = profit.

It's the specification that counts, not the fancy name.
I'm a bit against 4l cans too.. if only because I still think in terms of oil 5l at a time.

Having said that now the Polos and Jazz take about 3.5l and the BMW nearer 7l so 4l works out fine.

ECP's oil pricing is a bit like the stock market fluctuations... I also bought 5l of the Triple QX fully syn today and it was £16.44.

Sorry spamcan... I'd not looked in the bargains thread to see you'd just posted.... personally don't like the grouping of that thread... I'm not desperate for a bargain in general but I might be interested in good value oil.
No worries, I did think it was maybe worth a separate thread in motoring anyway.

>>
>> Sorry spamcan... I'd not looked in the bargains thread to see you'd just posted.... personally
>> don't like the grouping of that thread... I'm not desperate for a bargain in general
>> but I might be interested in good value oil.
>>
>> Just a heads up that Halfords have a deal on in store at the moment
>> with own brand (Comma made) 4l fully synthetic oil at £12. They had 5/30 and
>> 5/40.
>>
I stuck some links to the specific oils in here (last post):-

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=19608
>>> I smell a rip off.

If you use the search by reg no facility on many sellers sites they tent to up-spec oil making broad assumptions that you might be on long life servicing or have a DPF when you don't.
At least that isn't as bad as most tyre sites, F. None of them can get the right size for my SAAB, or my forthcoming Volvo. Never search for tyres by reg number. I'd rather have overspeced oil than wrongly speced tyres!
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 19 Aug 15 at 15:38
>> >>> I smell a rip off.
>>
>> If you use the search by reg no facility on many sellers sites they tent
>> to up-spec oil making broad assumptions that you might be on long life servicing or
>> have a DPF when you don't.
>>

The Castrol site seems to recommend 'Edge' at some eye watering amount per litre for anything newer than a Grey Fergie.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - Robin O'Reliant
Talking of oil, I lent my neighbour a filter wrench this afternoon when he was changing the oil on his Pug 307 diesel. 173k on the clock and it was last changed when he bought the car five years ago with 120k on it.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - Bromptonaut
>> The Castrol site seems to recommend 'Edge' at some eye watering amount per litre for
>> anything newer than a Grey Fergie.

Yup. The In and Out fast change place in Northampton use Castrol and tried to tell me my 10 yo 1.9D IDI Berlingo required a fully synth.

I told them to put in the ordinary stuff per the specification in the car's handbook.
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - MD
That would be one messy handbook 0-)
 Halfords fully synthetic oil deal - Stuartli
>>I told them to put in the ordinary stuff per the specification in the car's handbook. >>

Good job you're not a member of the opposite sex...:-)
Latest Forum Posts