Motoring Discussion > Trailers with curved roof Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 8

Trailers with curved roof - TheManWithNoName
Apologies if this has been raised before.
Lorry trailers with curved roofs (rooves?) - is this an aerodynamic advantage or some other reason.
I can't imagine boxes are going to fit in the curved space.
 Trailers with curved roof - WillDeBeest
When M&S introduced them, they had an inscription on the side or back proclaiming their energy-saving credentials.
 Trailers with curved roof - Stuartli
I seem to recall it being raised in the past, but quite some time ago.

I presume you mean this type of setup:

www.tc.gc.ca/eng/programs/environment-etv-menu-eng-2939.html

www.seai.ie/Your_Business/Technologies/Transport/Aerodynamics_Transport_Guide.pdf
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 21 Aug 15 at 17:10
 Trailers with curved roof - CGNorwich
This sort of thing?

www.carstyling.ru/resources/studio/large/2002_Colani_Mercedes-Benz_Spitzer-Silo_Truck_03.jpg
 Trailers with curved roof - Stuartli
>> This sort of thing?>>

Oh yes..!!!
 Trailers with curved roof - Manatee
I cannot believe that thing still has mirrors instead of cameras...
 Trailers with curved roof - Harleyman
>> I cannot believe that thing still has mirrors instead of cameras...
>>

Cameras rely on electronics; mirrors don't.

Straying onto the subject of truck mirrors, though; as most of you know I deliver animal feeds and consequently spend a fair amount of my driving time on very narrow farm lanes. One of the real PITA's, especially on a wet summer's day, is that I'm frequently having to stop and re-position the mirrors after negotiating my way past low-hanging branches. Like most cars there is electric adjustment, but when the arm itself is moved the driver has to stop, get out and re-position it. Not just a damn nuisance, but has the potential to cause an accident.

Many cars nowadays seem to have wing mirrors which retract for parking, etc. I wonder why the truck manufacturers haven't come up with something similar?
 Trailers with curved roof - Pat
>> I wonder why the truck manufacturers haven't come up with something similar? <<

....because lorry drivers would never get any exercise if they did;)

Love the pdf link above Stuart, some good stuff in there I can us, thanks!

Pat
 Trailers with curved roof - Harleyman
>> >> I wonder why the truck manufacturers haven't come up with something similar? <<
>>
>> ....because lorry drivers would never get any exercise if they did;)
>>

Speak for yourself! :-)

You must admit though, Pat, it is a damn nuisance; easy enough in many artic cabs to simply open the passenger window and stroll across the cab to fix it from the inside, but not as easy for those of us who actually venture away from the motorways and onto more challenging roads occasionally. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts