Motoring Discussion > Shell Garages - many closing? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hobby Replies: 13

Shell Garages - many closing? - hobby
On my way into work there are (or were) three Shell garages, all doing great business... Two have recently shut, one in the centre of Birmingham and used by lots of Taxis and Minicabs and the other at a major junction which attracted lots of passing trade...

Both sites are now being "redeveloped", though one has been like it for about 12 months now...

Its a shame as I like Shell diesel and its getting a pain to try and find it... both sites are still shown on the Shell website btw!

Anyone know whats going on?
 Shell Garages - many closing? - Old Navy
Sell the plot to a developer and retire, many family owned car dealerships went the same way.
 Shell Garages - many closing? - Zero
well thats two less shell stations to get your card cloned at.
Never had that problem round here, Zero...

I just wondered if anyone else had noticed any others closing... incidentally, both sites would be unsuitable for housing developments!
 Shell Garages - many closing? - swiss tony
>> I just wondered if anyone else had noticed any others closing... incidentally, both sites would
>> be unsuitable for housing developments!
>>

That will be more Tesco's then......
 Shell Garages - many closing? - rtj70
Cheapest diesel near us is always Shell.... but I buy most/all from Tesco. But the Shell on the A34 often has queues.
 Shell Garages - many closing? - rtj70
So are they selling low to hope to keep the franchise? This makes me wonder now.... not a loss leader but a revenue generator?
 Shell Garages - many closing? - smokie
I once heard - maybe here, or t'other place - that the big petrol stations only existed to generate ready cash, which was then gambled with on futures markets & currencies etc which is where many cash businesses (Tesco included) make their real money. Doubt it is true but there may be something in it.
 Shell Garages - many closing? - Brentus
Yeah smokie i heard that somewhere about 10 years ago. Nowadays i can't remember the last time i saw someone pay in cash. With todays laws on money laudering making it difficult to dispose of large amounts of cash ?.
 Shell Garages - many closing? - Manatee
Lots of Shell stations are franchises, and the sites are more profitable for development. One near here now has some 'executive apartments' on it.
 Shell Garages - many closing? - Cpt. Flack
On my way to work I have clocked 8 garages that have gone over the past 10 years. Including Esso, Texaco, Q8 and Shell.
Last edited by: Cpt. Flack on Sun 18 Jul 10 at 22:38
 Shell Garages - many closing? - WillDeBeest
Brentus, I suspect Smokie was using 'cash' in the sense accountants do - roughly 'money that a business can use immediately' - rather than our more common one of notes and coins.

Cash flow is a problem for many businesses at the moment, even those with otherwise healthy profit-loss balances. Customers are buying, but taking longer to pay, which reduces the cash available for everyday matters like paying the staff. In extreme cases poor cash flow can bring down a profitable business.
Would that apply to service stations, though? They get their cash straight away for any goods sold?
 Shell Garages - many closing? - WillDeBeest
Sorry, Hobby, didn't mean to imply a connection to your Shell situation; rather that if businesses are looking for means to generate extra cash inflows, there could be accounting reasons for it rather than simple P&L. Where's Avant when I need him?
}:---)
Latest Forum Posts