Motoring Discussion > Continuous insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 5

Continuous insurance - J Bonington Jagworth
I've just replaced my trusty Suzuki GS500 with an Aprilia Pegaso 650 (and am much enjoying the extra grunt), but I still have the old bike, whose insurance I have transferred to the new one. I have kept it taxed, to allow prospective buyers to ride it on their own insurance, but I gather that it should be SORN'ed if it's no longer insured by me. How do dealers get round this..?
 Continuous insurance - Pat
>>(and am much enjoying the extra grunt)<<<

I bet you are;)

Pat
Thanks, Pat. Same power outputs, funnily enough, but the big single has nearly 50% more torque and at lower revs, which makes road performance much more fun. It pulls like a mule!
 Continuous insurance - No FM2R
www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

Motor traders

You don’t need to make a SORN on a vehicle if you’re a motor trader or vehicle tester and all the following apply:

it’s only temporarily in your possession (until you sell it)
it’s being kept at your business premises
the registered keeper has notified DVLA that the vehicle has been sold or transferred to you

You count as a motor trader if you’re a:

motor dealer
motor auctioneer
vehicle dismantler
vehicle insurer looking after a vehicle while a claim is being settled
finance company licensed to temporarily hold a vehicle following an order for repossession
No provision for private sellers, then? Quelle surprise! :-)
 Continuous insurance - Bromptonaut
>> No provision for private sellers, then? Quelle surprise! :-)

Private individuals with two vehicles are expected to insure both. I don't know about bikes but car insurers will sometimes allow an overlap for purpose of private sale. Unfortunately any concession not linked to something tangible like a business would be open to abuse. Look at Driving Other Vehicles extension on motor policies for an example of something that seems reasonable but is in danger of being abused to oblivion.

Latest Forum Posts