Motoring Discussion > Moving MOT date Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: .... Replies: 18

Moving MOT date - ....
My bike MOT runs out at the end of the first week in a month. I want to move the MOT date to the start of the following month when the weather is better and it's more convenient - no major public holidays getting in the way.

The RFL starts at the beginning of the current MOT month but if I do not MOT it until 24/25 days later will I have to SORN the bike in order to move the MOT date ?

I realise I will not be legally allowed to ride the bike while MOT is lapsed and will have to have a pre-booked MOT arranged to take the bike to at the start of the following month.

The question is really around the RFL. Do I have to stop the tax (SORN the bike) in order to stop an automated fine of some description or, is it a case of the is MOT is valid on the day the tax is due, therefore no issue?
 Moving MOT date - Manatee
I don't know, but if it were me I would just "forget" to MoT it until the date you want to do it.

My son did that accidentally last year and nothing unpleasant ensued, even though he was using it - you could park yours up as you suggest to avoid any possibility of being caught using it without MoT.
 Moving MOT date - ....
I've no intention of using it while it is not MOT'd I just want to make sure I'm not going to get some computer generated nastiness making me out to be public enemy no. 1.

Have a fine and some points type nonsense, that's what I want to avoid.
 Moving MOT date - bathtub tom
Are you aware you can MOT it up to a month before the current MOT expires and the expiry date will remain the same?

The advantage of doing it early means you can sort out any problems picked up on the MOT and still use it on the old MOT (as long as they're not in the dangerous class).

You don't get points for no MOT AFAIK.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Wed 2 Sep 15 at 19:29
 Moving MOT date - Dave_
A valid MoT certificate has to be in force on the day the vehicle tax starts.

A valid MoT certificate has to be in force on any day the vehicle is used on the public highway.

That is all.

There is no penalty for owning a vehicle not currently MoT'd, only for using one on the public highway. Otherwise cars in museums, cars undergoing long-term repairs in workshops and MoT failures waiting to be collected by the scrap man would all incur their owners a fine.

Relax.

Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Wed 2 Sep 15 at 19:38
 Moving MOT date - martint123
You can renew the tax if the MOT is valid on the 1st of the month you are taxing it for.
I never like tax, insurance and MOT to be due around the same time for daft reasons like this.
Over the years I have them well spread around now.
A car and two bikes were taking a bit too much from the wallet at the end of Feb for them all.
 Moving MOT date - Westpig
You don't get points for no MOT, it is a minor offence.

Last year I made a major boo-boo and managed to forget to MOT one of our cars for 5 months.

One of our 2 cars has the MOT coincide with the service... and the other one does not and I got them the wrong way round.

No one noticed, I just got it MOT'd quick and that was that.
 Moving MOT date - ....
SQ4LB

>> No one noticed, I just got it MOT'd quick and that was that.
>>

Just out of curiosity, what was the date on the late MOT ? Was it valid for the full year or was it back dated ?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Sep 15 at 01:19
 Moving MOT date - Westpig
>> Just out of curiosity, what was the date on the late MOT ? Was it
>> valid for the full year or was it back dated ?
>>

The new MOT started when it was MOT'd... so looking at the car's history file, there's now a 5 month gap.

Moving MOT date - ....
>> Are you aware you can MOT it up to a month before the current MOT
>> expires and the expiry date will remain the same?
>>

Yes, thanks. That's what I've been doing but in Spring this year I got soaked to the skin and thought if I put it back 6 weeks the weather is generally better.

A few years ago with the other bike I was riding it in snow for the MOT.

Maybe I could start a winter tyres for motorbike thread we must be getting around to a winter tyres thread any day now.
 Moving MOT date - RichardW
Get it MOT'd now, then it will be due in the 'Summer' (!) next year.
 Moving MOT date - Fullchat
Only no Tax and/or no Insurance require SORN.
 Moving MOT date - ....
>> Get it MOT'd now...
>>

That's not an option at this time. Good alternative thinking unfortunately does not work this time around.

It looks as though I tax it as normal, let the current MOT expire, do not use it until I get it tested at a pre-booked appointment.
 Moving MOT date - rtj70
>> >> Get it MOT'd now...
>> That's not an option at this time.

That's an option at any time. You could MOT it before the current one expires to move the MOT date.
 Moving MOT date - sooty123
Perhaps it's not fit for an mot right now.
 Moving MOT date - Duncan
>> Perhaps it's not fit for an mot right now.
>>

Perhaps he hasn't got the dough?
 Moving MOT date - ....
>> That's an option at any time. You could MOT it before the current one expires
>> to move the MOT date.
>>
Until I figure out how to be in two places at the same time it's an issue.
The bike is currently stored in a secure location and I am not in the country, dealer collect and return is therefore not an option. Next time I will be reunited with the bike is in winter which gives no benefit in moving the date from the current spring date. I want to move the due date to summer not the middle of winter.

Some of the speculation here cracks me up. If I couldn't afford the £30 for an MOT or any of the other running costs for that matter I would sell the bike.
 Moving MOT date - No FM2R
Obviously your approach is the simplest, but I am a little worried that you think any part of the year *will* be predictably free of rain. I can see a flaw in your plan.

Personally I would MOT the bike at a convenient time of the year for my normal movements/usage. I don't think I would worry about trying to improve my weather experience.

No MOT will not impact your insurance. Even insurance that insists on an actual MOT can't do much in its absence.

However, if you had an accident on the bike when it did not have an MOT AND it was not roadworthy with something which would have been detected in an MOT you may be on a very sticky wicket.

I guess my point is just be careful if you know that there is something wrong / iffy with the bike and absolutely do not use it other than to the MOT until it has passed. Its not the penalty for no MOT to worry about, its the state of your insurance in the case of a claim with no MOT.
 Moving MOT date - ....
I know you can't guarantee the weather. I prefer the warm, wet rain to the hard, slippery stuff. Again, no guarantees as seen in Brum this week.

The bike is fine, low miles, 3 years old with full history, always checked before a ride, always checked and cleaned before being stored. I don't take any chances with two wheels. Coming off can smart a bit when A&E start dusting off the wire brushes.

It'll be a one off move of the test date. I should have waited when I bought the bike new until the start of the following month, I was like a kid in a sweet shop though.

With a car the wait would have been no problem.
Latest Forum Posts