Motoring Discussion > Buying a Motorbike Abroad Buying / Selling
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 38

Buying a Motorbike Abroad - zippy
My youngest has earned a small fortune for his summer job and is very keen on getting a Honda CBR125. The prices for second hand bikes are outrageously high so he has decided to buy new!

In the UK it is £3599. In Germany it is 3575 Euros, which works out at about £2629, both prices are dealer ride away prices as I understand it.

Apart from the speedometer being in KM/H are there any other issues that we should be aware of as I am sorely tempted to jump on a cross channel ferry and nip over to Dusseldorf or similar and grab a bargain?

If it were a car then I know the warranty would be OK in the UK as well. Is this the same for motorbikes?

Ta
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - ....
The bike would be recorded as a German sale and would be under warranty from Honda Germany. Any claims in the UK would most likely* have to be settled in cash and reclaimed from Honda Germany - that's how it worked for me 3 years ago with my Suzuki when I had to have some warranty work done in Germany.

* You'd need to speak to Honda UK to see how they operate.

Speedo's on bikes are generally LCD these days and switch from MPH to KPH at the press of a couple of buttons. You might find the handlebars are on the wrong side though ;-)
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - Bromptonaut

Headlamp dip?

A bike forum might have more knowledge then here although it's possible our expats have the requisite info.
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - Robin O'Reliant
Headlamp dip does indeed need altering, but it is easy and cheap to do. I had a grey import 400cc Honda Bros nearly twenty years ago that had an analogue speedo with a transparent sticker over the glass with the MPH digits printed on it. Made it legal, but impossible to read after dark.
>> Headlamp dip does indeed need altering, but it is easy and cheap to do. I
>> had a grey import 400cc Honda Bros nearly twenty years ago that had an analogue
>> speedo with a transparent sticker over the glass with the MPH digits printed on it.
>> Made it legal, but impossible to read after dark.
>>
It depends on the bike, most sports bikes now have a flat beam that does not need adjustment.

My wife's CBR600 has the kmh in a dark blue colour. It's tiny, totally unreadable and inside the mph figures because of the odometer cut out kmh readout does not start until 60 or 80 kph.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 18:51
>>
>> Headlamp dip?
>>
>> A bike forum might have more knowledge then here although it's possible our expats have
>> the requisite info.

And so it proved....
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - Mike H
You might want to check what taxes are payable when you import it. Although our car was already 6 years old when we imported it into Austria from the UK, we had to pay 1700 euros in tax. You might think that a used car moving between EU countries wouldn't attract tax, but not so!

And yes, the point about headlamps is well-made. It may be possible to change the dip direction, or it may be possible to run permanently with a beam corrector, otherwise you'll need to buy a new headlamp. A second-hand pair of LHD xenons cost me over 300 euros on Ebay Germany, so the "bargain" might not be quite what it seems.
Really annoys me that it is another typical rip off for us Brits. (Checked the price in Calais is 25 Euros on top of the German one).

Effectively the bike is an astonishing 25% more expensive here! What an absolute rip off.

>> Really annoys me that it is another typical rip off for us Brits. (Checked the
>> price in Calais is 25 Euros on top of the German one).
>>
>> Effectively the bike is an astonishing 25% more expensive here! What an absolute rip off.

Partly what manufacturer and distribution network think the market will bear but don't overlook the vagaries of exchange rates. A few years ago £1 = 1.09Euro in which case you'd have saved very little indeed.

Another thought, is there a bikers equivalent of Drive the Deal?
>> Another thought, is there a bikers equivalent of Drive the Deal?
>>
Not that I'm aware of but there are some dealers who discount heavily.

OP might want to try Cupar Honda. They might not match the € price but they'll be within a couple of hundred and will deliver.

Or not...just looked £3495
www.perthmcs.com/used_bikes_detail.php?recordID=HWEB012
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 19:12
>>Another thought, is there a bikers equivalent of Drive the Deal?

I have been looking and without much success (most motorbike supermarkets tend to be for clothes and helmets only).
If you're going to get a good discount it'll be November time, not many people buying then and those with the cash are waiting for next years bike.
>> You might want to check what taxes are payable when you import it.
>>
In that case don't you just tell the dealer you are exporting it, he sticks it on red export plates, you reclaim the 19% MwST in Germany and pay 20% VAT on the paperwork when you import to the UK ?
Nah ! That's sounds far too easy.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 18:57
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - CGNorwich
You will need to pay UK VAT and reclaim German VAT. You will also need to pay Vehicle Tax.

A complete guide to the process of importin a vehicle:

www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-and-tax-vehicles-from-within-the-eu
>> >>
>> And yes, the point about headlamps is well-made. It may be possible to change the
>> dip direction, or it may be possible to run permanently with a beam corrector, otherwise
>> you'll need to buy a new headlamp. A second-hand pair of LHD xenons cost me
>> over 300 euros on Ebay Germany, so the "bargain" might not be quite what it
>> seems.
>>
I doubt a second hand headlamp for a 125 Honda is going to break the bank. There are loads of those bikes around, mostly ridden by young learners so the breakers will be well stocked with crashed ones.
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - Focusless
>> on getting a Honda CBR125.
>>
>> In the UK it is £3599.

I'm not a biker, and the fact a little 125 costs the best part of 4 grand... sheesh. A brand new Dacia only costs £6k.
How much would it cost the typical 125 rider to get insurance on a brand new £6k car ?

17 years old, provisional licence, done the CBT (no equivalent for a car) to show they are not out to kill themselves.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 20:00
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - Focusless
>> How much would it cost the typical 125 rider to get insurance on a brand
>> new £6k car ?

Not saying those 125 riders should get cars instead - just surprised at the cost of the bike.
Bikes are not cheap to run however when you start thinking about what you are getting in performance terms then the comparisons swing towards bikes. A set of tyres (£200-300) every 2,500 miles seems expensive but how much for a set of tyres for a car that does 0-62 in 2.5 seconds and top 180MPH ? What is the purchase price and how much is the insurance ? I pay <£300 for a 180MPH sportsbike.

A 125 will need tyres every rotation of the sun by the earth if that, fuel about every 70 miles/gallon however you rag it.

Zippy has the right idea though, get the lad to spend the money on the kit. A decent helmet can run to £500-700.

And avoid the cheap and nasty bikes. Better to save for an extra year and get something known.
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - Westpig
My bike was a European import.

The speedo is still a kmh one, I've never changed it. It does not have mph on it, but you soon get used to the mental arithmetic. MOT's aren't a problem.

Don't forget some people don't like imports...so when you come to sell it be prepared for that.

Personally I can't see it being worth the hassle.
>>Personally I can't see it being worth the hassle.

With a car I would agree because you can get good discounts from reputable on-line brokers like DTD.

£700 is a lot of money for a 17 year old and he would spend the difference on a decent helmet and clothing.

It is more the principle of being ripped off yet again just because we live on an island.
>> £700 is a lot of money for a 17 year old and he would spend
>> the difference on a decent helmet and clothing.
>>
Go for it zippy, good to see someone with a sensible guardian. Kit is more important than the bike.
You can get in touch with me via the mods if you want me to do some shopping around. I'm in Cologne at the moment for the next few months. I'll do the leg work for you if you want. I love shopping for bikes.
Forgot to add. No charge, if you get a deal through me we can meet and have a beer (I'll buy) the night before he collects.
>>Forgot to add. No charge, if you get a deal through me we can meet and have a beer (I'll buy) the night before he collects.

Thanks Gmac!

He may take a while as he is just about to start his second year at college, but I will happily take you up on your kind offer!

Z
No problem, mail me when you're ready.
I'm either here or I'm not. Like I said, I'm here for a few months and happy to help.
It's an excuse for me and a few of the blokes from the office to go down the local bike dealers. Like we need an excuse !!!
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - No FM2R
>£700 is a lot of money for a 17 year old

So is buying his own bike. Good for him. I'm impressed.
>>So is buying his own bike. Good for him. I'm impressed.

Total change in the last year. Near 100% attendance at college. A's for his AS levels.

Work ethic, polite, talkative (last year was all grunts) truly loves being with his grandparents and wants to see them and studying throughout the summer holidays despite working 5 days a week.

I think he has been cloned! :-)

We will help him with the insurance (and I expect that to cost the same as the bike!)
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - Westpig
>> £700 is a lot of money for a 17 year old and he would spend
>> the difference on a decent helmet and clothing.

How much of the £700 is going to be used up by:

- swapping the headlamp
- swapping the speedo if he isn't comfortable with constant mental arithmetic
- difference between German VAT (19%) and UK VAT (20%) and having to re-claim the German one.... translation of docs? phone calls? £35 difference between the two VAT systems.
- travel and accommodation costs to collect it or have it transported
- beer for GMAC
- anything else I haven't thought about

.... and then there's the pain in the 'arris for any warranty work.
Last edited by: Westpig on Sun 6 Sep 15 at 10:55
>> >>
>> .... and then there's the pain in the 'arris for any warranty work.
>>

Aren't warranties now pan European?
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - R.P.
It's a Honda...no warranty problems ! (touch wood)
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - Simon
Some of the new little Honda's, particularly the CBF125 are suffering from build quality and rust problems. I can't explain why but it does seem to be affecting more than the odd one.
>>I'm not a biker, and the fact a little 125 costs the best part of 4 grand... sheesh. A brand new Dacia only costs £6k.

Tell me about it, but a Honda CBR125 is a top of the range small bike. Honda do sell bikes for a fair bit less.

The lad has earned his money on a zero hours, weather dependent contract, on the minimum wage for a 17 year old (£3.90 something an hour) and hasn't worked as much as he wanted to because of the wet summer.

You can get Chinese imports for about £1,500 but a relative's lad got one and it has been a load of trouble. What is really annoying is when searching for a CBR125 on MCN (Autotrader for bikes) some dealers advertise their Chinese Bikes as matching the Honda - grrrr.

Buying a Motorbike Abroad - MD
What a wonderful gesture from Gmac.
Not really MD, I've seen the same from others on here.
It's a few hours of my time and a reason to be there rather than just drooling. Having local contacts helps in the negotiations too.
I sold my original GS at a whopping price to a Belgian importer in 2010. He subsequently had it on his site with a good margin. It needed a ECU re-program and a speedo card and a LHD headlamp unit. Second hand bike values on the continent were very firm, possibly disguised by € rate changes..
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - Harleyman

>> You can get Chinese imports for about £1,500 but a relative's lad got one and
>> it has been a load of trouble. What is really annoying is when searching for
>> a CBR125 on MCN (Autotrader for bikes) some dealers advertise their Chinese Bikes as matching
>> the Honda - grrrr.
>>
Whilst some of the Chinese and other Asian imports have improved over the last few years they do not have anything like the same build quality as bikes made by the "big four" Japanese manufacturers. It's not uncommon on the cheaper ones for the warranty period to outlast the bike.

Having been through the process myself nearly forty years ago I can understand why your lad wants the top of the range model; but you and I know full well that he'll soon get his first lesson in depreciation values when he sells it!

My friend is looking to replace his 2007 Lifong (or other spelling) Chinese 125. He's owned it from new, ridden it all over the country and twice to Belgium. It's seven years old, broke down once (on the way to the 2014 Dragon in torrential rain). He stripped it back to the frame over the last couple of weeks and rubbed down and painted the subframe, centre stand etc. He had an advisory for the last MoT whereby the indicator lenses had lost their amber tint ! To be replaced for this next MoT with a set of Triumph ones ! Had 2 batteries from new (original and replacement) is used in every weather all year round. Generally lavished with neglect. Owes him nothing for the £800.00 he paid for it.
 Buying a Motorbike Abroad - J Bonington Jagworth
There are lots of other 125's, all of which appear to use the Honda engine or a copy of same. I don't know off-hand which are the ones to avoid, but it's a pretty simple design and given that even Hondas are made in Thailand now, I suspect there are some bargains to be had. Worth investigating to save £2k, IMO.
A quick scan of the German Autotrader gets the price down to 3190€ for a new unregistered bike:

m.autoscout24.de/angebote/honda-cbr-125-r-wei%C3%9F-274943361
Latest Forum Posts