Motoring Discussion > BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring.
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 83

BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - R.P.
So back to BMW it is. A change in work circumstances would have meant piling on the mileage in the the thirsty V40 - so it was little more than man maths this time. Sort of smooching around the local BMW emporium found a six month old 320d Touring X drive MSport. 2.2k miles ex-demo. Surprisingly good offer for the V40 from them, £500.00 shy of what Volvo benchmarked against an ex-demo V60. But they did knock off a £100.00 for the 5 year service pack on the BMW. Half what the Volvo cost to tax and close on double the miles per gallon. Seriously nice looking motor, well loaded with decent kit. BMW's new 8speed auto box. Cost around £50.00 a year more to insure....but the Volvo was very cheap. I'll miss the sublime 2.5 five pot in the Volvo and truly electrifying performance. Won't miss the fuel stops...! BMW comes n at a smidging less than 12K off the list price...shocking.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - sooty123
How long did you have the Volvo?
Nearly two years...! Long time for me that !
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Bill Payer
I'm amazed it was just sitting there - sounds like a good one and people seem to really struggle to find the right used BMW.
usedcars.halliwelljonesnorthwalesbmw.co.uk/showroom/3-Series/2.0TD-320d-M-Sport-xDrive-Touring/Llandudno-Junction/3727008-605152801-3497056.aspx?srcmdc=se_ce_re_

This is it. Good dealer reputation as well....if only they did Motorrad...
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - legacylad
Late July, whilst staying with friends in sunny CA, I had an offer accepted on a 63 plate 328 Touring. Mineral Grey with the required panoramic roof, auto plus lots of bells & whistles. Similar performance to my current 11yo 330 soft top. I flew home the following day, didn't card the £1k deposit whilst in the U.S. And within 48 hours someone else had bought it. A part of me still regrets it because it was the exact spec I wanted, but I am spending lots of time overseas at the moment so it was probably for the best. The 3 Touring is a perfect replacement for me when I can summon up the courage to let my current wheels move on to the next owner. Enjoy.
The ideal solution would have been a petrol one...but you know what's it's like ;-)......love it feel very retro inside...black as black thing. Proper old school BMW
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 10 Sep 15 at 22:49
Pal of mine has a black 235 with Oyster Red interior. Lovely combination. If you like black ( no offence meant). I prefer Mineral Grey or Estoril Blue.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Zero
I knew you were not a volvo man, you have a blue and white propellor heart, admit it.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Bobby
More and more 3 series on the road seem to be x-drives now.

Is this cause company car bosses were fed up with their reps unable to work during periods of snow???
Yep...swore blind I'd never buy another. The options under consideration were an Audi A4 Avant, A VW Passat (new shape) and possibly a Subaru...the Beemer did it for me straight away...
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - WillDeBeest
Used car hunting is easier if you want - or don't mind - a black one. Like RP, though, I appreciate the unfussy simplicity of the BMW interior, especially the superbly readable white-on-black instruments. Even the new 520d I borrowed for a day recently, with full navigational bells and hooters, was easier to get to know than any recent Mercedes I've been in, for example. Even the V40, while still a Volvo, doesn't have the same driver-centred design I valued in my old S60.
A neighbour has recently taken delivery of a 430d X drive. Looks v nice in a metallic gunmetal colour. Personally I would have gone for Red Oyster leather rather than black. As impractical ( given my circumstances) as mine. And waaaay out of my price league. I think the recent drop in diesel prices may have affected values of the petrol range, which is why I was surprised that my offer on the 328 was accepted. It was about £15k off full list, possibly more with so many options fitted.
>> More and more 3 series on the road seem to be x-drives now.
>>
>> Is this cause company car bosses were fed up with their reps unable to work
>> during periods of snow???
>>

At some level it becomes standard. Guy across the road from me has just got his missus a 3 Series GT (the hatchback one - with a young family I always thought hatchbacks were dead handy, but the BMW ones don't seem to have caught on).

Anyway, wandered over there to have a look, assuming it would be a 318 or something and was gobsmacked to see he'd got her a 335d, on which x-drive is standard.

We've just got a new VW Tiguan, and to get auto you have to have 4Motion. A bit annoying for us, as we don't need AWD but it meant a £3K uplift for auto. Having said that, I think if you're going have an SUV it really ought to be AWD.
Wow. A 335d. Shovels and smelly stuff comes to mind. I had a look at the GT version when my car was in the Colne main dealer for its recall. Something to do with the passenger airbag....a 30 minute drive away and bfast at Boundary Mill next door, although I thought I would be carded at the entrance thinking I was not old enough to gain admittance.
Anyway, I thought the proportions somehow did not look quite right, although I was impressed with the interior load length and build quality. The Touring is still far more practical though. Should I ever get there...
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 11 Sep 15 at 11:28
There are two hatchback choices in BMW's middle range now. The 3GT is the practical option - room in the back for me behind me, and a better boot than the bigger 5GT. It's a strong contender to replace the LEC if the Beestlings get too big for the back seat.

Or you can have a 4 Gran Coupé. Same length as the regular 4 but with rear doors and a hatch. Very sleek, but a little snug in the back if your my size. Beats the A5 for style, though.
>> hGood dealer reputation as well....
>>

I've never gelled with their Chester branch - to the extent that while the default marque in my business is BMW, I drive a Mercedes.

People have frequently told to take a trip to Llandudno Junction and do the car dealer tour, but I bought a car an hour away before and it became a pain. Also I got nicked for speeding by an unmarked car in Colwyn Bay about 30 yrs ago so said I'd never go to N Wales again!
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - DP
Nice car, R.P.

The F30 Tourings are lovely cars. I've been delighted with mine, which is not quite as salubrious as yours, being the ED model, with no leather, but even then I've got very few complaints to be honest. The 8 speed auto is a masterpiece, and suits the engine perfectly. At coming up 9k, it's yet to blot its reliability record in any way, and there's a sense of build quality and solidity that was missing from the earlier 2012 car I had.

The 2.0 diesel engine feels punchier, and is significantly quieter and smoother with the automatic transmission than with the disappointingly agricultural manual. I note yours has the paddles (Sport Auto) which mine doesn't. Should be fun :-)

If I had to grizzle, the fuel economy at 47 mpg is acceptable rather than impressive, and in non M-Sport / Adaptive damping spec, the handling is still very uninspiring. But as a package it is so complete and ridiculously capable that you can't help but respect it.

Enjoy the car :)

BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Clk Sec
>> I think if you're going have an SUV it really ought to be AWD.

I agree. It's a shame, though, that some manufacturers assume that buyers of petrol SUVs only want 2 WD, so that's all they offer.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - ....
I think it's more to do with getting the average emissions down to 95g/km per vehicle by 2020 as *agreed* with the EU than giving the masses what they want.

You don't know what's good for you, be happy there are people telling you what you want.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 11 Sep 15 at 12:18
RP, what model of V40 was it please....assuming a large engined petrol? Wondered how it compares performance wise to the 328 Touring which I almost bought, and whether worth considering. MPG is pretty much irrelevant as I only covered 6k miles last year, and I'm happy with the 30/32 I get out of the 330. Living in the sticks insurance is pretty cheap also, and the IAM people will price match. No town driving, just pootling around the Dales and to/ from the Lakes up the A65.
V40 T5 AWD (Cross Country).....250+ BHP...as mentioned seriously quick..
Thanks
Similar power to my 330 and the new 4cyl (boo) 328
AWD would be useful ( possibly) cos I live in the upper Ribble valley just outside Settle. With a seriously steepish short road to my place. Plus cow poo on the minor roads.
Might have a look on the dealers website to see how much they want for it.......
Out now to Renovo my fabric roof, Soft Top Canvas Cleaner then Ultra Proofer. No wonder it looks like new. Probably work up a thirst for early doors.....
You might be confusing the V40 with the V60 or 70 ll.
The V40 is roughly Ford Focus in dimensions, you'd need to keep your 3 convertible and/or trailer of you intend in carrying any loads.

The T5 5 cylinder can easily be remapped to 280hp which the AWD can handle.
Thanks. Neighbour has a V60 which looks similar in size to a 3 series. I'm easily confused. Even when sober.
They were going to move it along..I believe to a Volvo dealer in Hull. Volvo would retail it around 19k
Thanks.
My offer (accepted) for the fully specced 63 plate 328 Touring was not much more than that. Think I preferred the Beemer, albeit a 4 pot. Although an S4 Avant was/is still on the short list.
My FiL has a 12 place F30 328 Saloon. He's looking to change soon...wonder what he'll get.
>> My FiL has a 12 place F30 328 Saloon.

This will table a whole new line of discussion, still I always thought those things went Like a knife through butter.
Trust you to spread it around...
:-)....self correcting computer slapped.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Bromptonaut
>> :-)....self correcting computer slapped.

What was the word it replaced with 'place'? I was thinking pot but not in a 3 series surely.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 12 Sep 15 at 13:17
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Bromptonaut

>> What was the word it replaced with 'place'? I was thinking pot but not in
>> a 3 series surely.

Bleedin' obvious actually isn't it; plate.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Crankcase
Hope it came with mats.
>> Hope it came with mats.

Coasters
>> Coasters

Could be prosecuted.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 12 Sep 15 at 15:14
Well picked it up tonight. All rather hurried as I needed to get home rather sharpish. Initial impression on being left alone with it was "It's a BMW !" Yes...unmistakable driving position, excellently small steering wheel, very tactile and typically BMW everything is to hand almost instinctively. iDrive is light years ahead of the original version. Being left handed it works just fine for me ...came to basic terms with it in minutes. Brilliantly you can turn the display off...something I figured out was missing in the Volvo. I got used to the multi button console in the Volvo over 20000 miles but the iDrive certainly performs more functions with less hassle. They've kept the novel and useful feature of being able to direct warm air to the centre two vents, the can be split between the two front occupants...how hard is that for other makers.....!!???!? Brilliant but simple feature. Interior build quality is well up on my old 2008 3 Series. Interior fittings - especially around the seating is miles ahead.

Instrumentation is classic BMW two majors and two minors, totally clear - uncluttered and beautifully laid out. No better than the Volvo's TFT screens but I like them.

Ride quality on the RFs has finally been cracked, definitely on a par with the Volvo's excellent ride which was rather good. More road noise than the Volvo. Took it out to play on the excellent roads around here earlier, in normal "comfort" or Eco-Pro" mode its very good. In the tightened up "sport" is truly stunningly good, no doubt helped by the X drive. The trick Auto box is miles ahead of the Volvo's - from reading the techy stuff - seems it's linked to the Sat-Nav to anticipate gradients....damned clever. Tried in flappy paddle mode, instinctive and intuitive to use - but I thnk Auto will be for me !

Immensly capable car...more to come. Love the trick tailgate and glass hatch...right up my street

>> Brilliantly you can turn the display off...something I figured out was missing in the Volvo.
>>
You should have asked, it's in there, just not where you were looking. My Car --> Settings --> Screensaver tick the little box and off the screen goes 60 seconds or so after last being used. With SatNav it comes back to life with the next instruction.

Enjoy your new car, sounds like you're back home and happy to be there. Those 8 speed autoboxes sound cracking. I want one in my next car.
Yes, I've heard good reports on the BMW auto from several sources. Mind you, I have no complaints whatsoever re the manual 6 speed on my '04 3 series. Still a cracking drive. Would love to compare the old school straight six with a new 4 pot 328 over a few thousand miles. Probably losing two cylinders is one reason why I am loathe to change. That and the fact that I am getting far more enjoyment out of spending the dosh doing more interesting stuff.
Is that torque band really that narrow that you need 8 gears?
Hahaha...I remember that Screen Saver setting now ! Never tried it ! My FiL has a 328...he misses the 6 cylinder roar for certain !
101 miles work related trip. Caernarfon to Bala via the A487, A470 and the A4212. The former were busy with commercial and late holiday makers, several known speed van spots. The latter unwound a perfectly graded and maintained tarmac ribbon across the mountains. Two known spots for vans - so an eagle eye kept for flashing or waving drivers, set the suspension and gearing to "sports" from "Eco Pro" and let rip. Superb chassis, seamless gear changes made the run as near perfect as anything you're likely to get, weather was fine and dry. Never a wheel out of place, slower than the Volvo on paper, but the chassis and gearbox of the BMW made it effortless. Trip computer averaging just a notch over 50mpg....great car.
>>More and more 3 series on the road seem to be x-drives now.
>>
>>Is this cause company car bosses were fed up with their reps unable to work during periods of snow???

Is the non x-drive BMW really quite as bad in snow as some would have us believe, or is it no worse than any other RWD motor?

BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Skip
>> Is the non x-drive BMW really quite as bad in snow as some would have
>> us believe, or is it no worse than any other RWD motor?

I dont think that the 50/50 weight distribution in a BMW helps.
A colleague who has recently swapped his 09 320d coupé for a new 420d X-drive tells me yes, they are. Not sure how much 4wd will help, though; tyres probably matter more. I've been in Frankfurt in the snow and no-one there was sliding off the road regardless of how many driven wheels they had.

Means nothing here, of course. If it snows, winter tyres and 4wd will just get me further from home before getting stuck in a heap of abandoned vehicles that set out without the right equipment (or technique) and got stuck. I don't work in a fire station or a hospital, so I don't need to go out.
>> Not sure how much 4wd will help, though;

It might make things worse as it'll get you going. Without winter tyres you'll have a problem stopping though.

>> If it snows, winter tyres and 4wd will just get me further from home before getting stuck.

That's fine if it starts to snow when you're at home. My concern is that I could be 100-200 miles away.
>> Is the non x-drive BMW really quite as bad in snow as some would have
>> us believe, or is it no worse than any other RWD motor?
>>

A colleague said his 5 Series never get stuck in the 2009/10 winter then he replaced it with an E Class and it was undriveable in similar conditions.

They seem to vary, I suppose based on a combination of the car itself, how good its (summer) tyres are, the driver and the road and weather conditions. Merc's are notoriously bad, but you'll always get someone who seems baffled by that and says his is fine.
I never got stuck in any of my 2wd BMWs either, never bothered with winter tyres other than on my old X1 (which was a 4x4), that never got stuck either.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - No FM2R
>>he replaced it with an E Class and it was undriveable in similar conditions.

Mine was certainly undriveable in snow. Absolutely awful.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - PeterS
>> >>he replaced it with an E Class and it was undriveable in similar conditions.
>>
>> Mine was certainly undriveable in snow. Absolutely awful.
>>

Living on the south coast, the little snow we get has never troubled me in any of my RWD cars, E class included. In fact the FWD A4 on 18" wheels was far worse than any diesel automatic estate car in snow. I have however managed to get the E class stuck in mud in my own garden / drive :)
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - MD
Turning off traction control helps RWD to make progress in snow.
Disappointment #1....BMW's new key design. Gone is the little oblong key box with logical buttons...it's now not quite oblong and bigger. Buttons are totally logical but now the key ring does not secure to the box or the hidden key. It secures between the key and the electronics box, so remove the key (using a little tab thing) the key comes out and the box falls off the ring. What a stupid design.
....otherwise, a totally engaging car to drive over the last 10 days of ownership...covered nearly 600 miles (!) in that time. Keep finding little nuances of design. One engineering one is the limitation in engine speeds when cold, linked to lots of gear-changing...also the value of the oil temperature gauge - what a good idea, psychologically making you keep a lighter foot until the oil's warmed through.

Seats are powered sports leather - not quite as good as the ones in the Volvo, front Squab has an extension piece, but still feels a tad unsupported under the upper legs. Has a good mix of drives - plenty of poke on the fast A roads.

Fuel consumption between 45 and 52 mpg.

That slidey-outy bit is a puzzle, isn't it? With legs as long as mine (they have to be to reach the ground) you'd think I'd want it pulled right forward, but I've not yet found the ideal position for it. And the gap it leaves fills up with fluff and crumbs in seconds, however careful I am to keep both out of the car.

In fact, overall I've not managed to get as perfectly comfortable as I so easily did in the Volvo. Fortunately, the fully-electric seat means I can fiddle easily and safely on the move, and often end up in an entirely different position from the one I set off in.
Yep....noticed the crumbs, dust, fluff when I went to get something from the car earlier, I never eat in the car either !! Baptism of fire mileage wise...back still in order !
S'funny I never get any crumbs or debris in the extension bits of the front seats on the 3 series. Once a month I take a lukewarm soapy sponge to the front seats....slightly worn leather now on the drivers OS bolster, but it is 11 yo so acceptable. I find the seat exceptionally comfortable, although the cheapskates only fitted the 3 way memory to the drivers chair, the NS is just plain leather leccy with no memory.
>> Yep....noticed the crumbs, dust, fluff when I went to get something from the car earlier,
>> I never eat in the car either !!

Do you drive in the nuddy?
Fluff was there last night when I stepped in...no eating in the car...??? Anyway 1800 miles later in a month..! It's great just fine, gave it some beans tonight on the way home from Bala - niggles...not many to add. The poor design of the luggage cover, it has a habit of riding up its channel and blanking the rear screen out. Unable to control both zones of the heating as you've always been able to do.....and that's it. Comfy, fast and smooth..rock solid on the road....oh and the silly reflections in the windscreen...come on BMW you always manage to do better than that....
>> The poor design of the
>> luggage cover, it has a habit of riding up its channel and blanking the rear
>> screen out.

This drives me nuts!
Fluff was there last night when I stepped in...no eating in the car...

Is it from those Speedos?
Or me budgie...
First long distance trip was to the bike show last week. Over 300 miles all told. Comfortable over a long distance - no aches to the back. Around 52mpg on a mix of A roads and M ways. Good car.
Glad you are still enjoying the car. I am very fond of mine too although am about to change jobs so we will be parting company in the new year.

I'm driving a 320i XDrive Touring at the moment while the 320d is in the body shop after someone reversed into it.

One big effect of the XDrive system that I've noticed is in terms of the turning circle. It's caught me out a couple of times already in manoeuvring situations the rear drive car would have comfortably have "made". There's a whole metre difference apparently.

The 320i XDrive isn't a good drive train choice either. Meh performance and about 25 mpg in mixed driving. Although this model is a fully loaded Luxury spec so it's a very nice car to be in.
Last edited by: DP on Sat 12 Dec 15 at 06:37
I remember you asking me about the 2.0i engine after I tried one in a 220i; lighter, of course, and RWD only, but seemed to go well enough. No idea about its true fuel consumption, of course.

I struggle to see the point of AWD in a middling road car. Apart from anything else, what does all that extra hardware do to the 50:50 mass distribution that's supposed to be integral to the BMW experience? And 25 years of reasonably enthusiastic, let's-get-there driving in 2WD cars, I can't think of one moment of thinking I wish this thing had two more driven wheels.

One on my list for next family car is the 330d GT, but that's not available without X-drive. Might settle for four cylinders instead.
328 4 cyl should have enough poke. I was flabbergasted by the load area space in the GT when I looked at one several months ago. However, to my eyes, the proportions somehow just don't look right, so still prefer the Touring variant. And as for X Drive in a 2.0, why o why?
Wouldn't the 328i GT be X-drive only too? In any case, I know it's only a 2.0 but I can't see the 328i engine being an economic proposition in a body that big - especially if DP is reporting 25mpg from a lower-powered, smaller-bodied estate.

And that smaller body is a problem too: my family simply won't fit in a 3 estate; the Beestlings are quite a snug fit already in the back of the E220, and they're not getting any smaller. But a static test has shown me that I can sit comfortably in the back of a 3GT behind a driver the same size as me, and that excuses any slight inelegance of proportion. It would be a slight come-down as a four-up load carrier from the LEC but we could work with that; it's certainly a more practical car than the enormous but underbooted 5GT. But it will need a diesel engine.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 12 Dec 15 at 09:40
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Boxsterboy

>> And that smaller body is a problem too: my family simply won't fit in a
>> 3 estate; the Beestlings are quite a snug fit already in the back of the
>> E220, and they're not getting any smaller. But a static test has shown me that
>> I can sit comfortably in the back of a 3GT behind a driver the same
>> size as me, and that excuses any slight inelegance of proportion.
>>

I'm surprised to hear that the rear of a 3 GT is more accommodating than that of your LEC. I had to get rid of my E-class estate after no. 3 child moaned about their legs straddling the transmission tunnel. They are far more comfortable in the back of Mrs BB's S-Max, but even happier when I take them in my Transporter (which has a boot so large that even Mrs BB cannot get remotely close to filling it, despite many attempts!)
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Runfer D'Hills
Kind of with you there WdB. I've had 4WD, FWD and RWD cars over the years. Huge annual mileages in all of them in all weathers. Never been properly 'stuck' in any of them. You just have to adapt your techniques to the dynamics of the car.

I loved my RWD BMWs. My last, of course, being the glorious 325. The deal on this one was very good the X drive being part of the spec of a car that I liked very much from the moment I clapped eyes on it. As Humph says you adapt to the dynamics of the car. The x-drive on this one s very subtle...will do amazing standing starts in "sports +" mode.....indeedy..Having loved the V40 whilst I owned it...the BMW delivers in a much calmer way
Presumably it's not the amazing standing starts that are the X-Drive's subtle contribution, RP.

To be honest, most of the time I'm not aware that my 325 (a d) is RWD; it just goes. But every so often - there's a tight uphill left-hander on my way to work that's nice to take in third - I can feel the power acting at one end and the steering at the other. I imagine power in the Volvo's quantities might cause a bit of front-wheel drama, but perhaps I should just try an X-drive BMW up the same hill and see for myself.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Avant
Interesting comments above about the 2.0i engine. I've had my eye on this in a 2-series Active Tourer, and this week at last have had a test drive. The dealers seem far keener to sell diesels, but after five diesel cars in a row I love my current petrol Octavia vRS, and I really don't want another diesel.

The signs were very good in the automatic 220i I tried: the transmission didn't seem to sap the performance, and the strong torque that is such a feature of the Octavia seemed to be there too, although a 225i might be even better. And it was beautifully quiet and refined.

So it seems that the x-drive option in the 3-series isn't popular: maybe it compromises the purity of the RWD handling that is much admired. Personally I've had FWD cars for 45 years so 4wd on a normally FWD car should only be an advantage, especially as we live now in rural Dorset on the side of a steepish hill.
My comments about the 320i XD performance as "meh" is probably quite accurate. It's not slow or gutless, and the 8 speed auto is as smooth, efficient and genuinely brilliant as ever, but it's just not 24 mpg quick. The 320d is no slower on paper, much, much gutsier feeling in daily drive situations, and does more than twice the distance on the same quantity of fuel. I suspect the significantly (+60 bhp) more powerful version of the 320i's engine in the 328i is barely less frugal and has a heck of a lot more shove.

I also think XDrive is unnecessary in a car with this level of performance. You can feel its benefits pulling out of T-junctions in the wet, and I suspect it's a welcome boost in snow, but otherwise, the car simply doesn't have the grunt to really trouble 2WD, so doesn't really benefit much from 4WD in most situations. It feels lazier turning generally, and the turning circle penalty is surprisingly irritating too. I don't doubt on a 330 or 335 it's a different proposition.

I've owned a few 4WD cars in my time, an original Quattro, Sierra XR 4x4 and surprise, surprise, a few Legacy estates. My current 330 has around 230 horses and 99.9% of the time that is adequate. I really don't think I need more power than that, and unless you live well off the beaten track at altitude, or have a high powered car, I don't think 4 WD is necessary. I don't envisage myself having one again. In fact, if I were sensible, rather than splurging on a second hand 328 Touring, a 1.4 Leon ST estate with only 150 horses, or a petrol Octavia Vrs would more than suffice.
Something to consider come March '16.
Another minor issue. Heated rear window on the Volvo came on on its own if the temperature was low enough. BMW should have thought of that...
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah but, at least you won't have to go to the gym tonight now. All that exercise turning it on and all...

;-)
:-)....I now have a very strong left index finger. Well you know what I'm saying. Little touches and all that....
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - MD
Sometimes 'they' prefer a firmer push!
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - VxFan
>> Heated rear window on the Volvo came on on its own if the temperature was low enough.

Even my humble Astra has that feature.
 BMW - 320d X drive Msport...Touring. - Alanovich
Swedish cars are, unsurprisingly, designed to make life as easy as possible in a Swedish winter. It's one of the reasons I've become so attached to my Swedish model. Wish it had the Eberspacher heater on it to warm it up before I open it.
Exactly. I hate the "feature" that cuts HRWs off after a while. Of course in common with all recent cars the BMW does it. Especially irritating in that car in recent weather conditions. A HRW will dry off a screen, the BMW's rear screen gets filthy after a couple of miles - I can't remember a car where I've used the rear wiper so much...allied to the timer on the HRW it's damned awkward...and of course the switch panel has the HRW on the "incorrect" side. Although far more logical than the Volvo's floating console with its myriad of switches...this is dumb as is the adjacent switch for knocking off the TP announcements...a RHD compromise that BMW missed, bearing in mind that the rest of the instrument panel and dashboard and centre console have been moulded for RHD

I am being picky. It is a superb dual carriageway cruiser in every respect. I may have to clean it in the spring.
R.P.. Just wondered how the 320d X Drive is doing?
I'm still looking for that elusive 328 Touring at a price I'm prepared to pay but might have a look at the petrol equivalent in 2.0 form. As well as a few other alternatives, some already test driven and discounted.
It's fine....quite a few more miles on it by now. It is pleasant to drive, returns around 55mpg. Plenty of oomph when you get the cogs in the right order. Not missed a beat since I've had it. The auto-box is very civilized - its comfortable and all the creature comforts you could wish for. I miss the active cruise from the Volvo, the Volvo's blistering performance is missed occasionally but its thirst isn't ! Very relaxed to drive. Perfect dual carriageway car and it likes A roads. Huge capacity for luggage as and when required.
Over twelve months since I bought it and 20k up by now. Proving to be a fine motor. Occasionally hanker after a petrol version, but no real reason to change. Nothing gone wrong (touch-wood) - last major outing was to Cardiff and back in a day - can;t think of a better way to do it four wheel wise, right in every situation and the auto box is an asset. Tyres still have wear - at a loss to say anything else.
My ex BMW mechanic pal advised me to stay clear of German diesels out of warranty. The long life servicing doesn't do them any favours if you plan to keep for a few years. ... I sold my petrol 330 when it was 12 yo. It was faultless for 6.5 years since I bought it.
He's just given my 1.6 diesel Focus its annual oil change and full pre winter check, up on the ramps, and I asked him (again) about a reliable, fastish, means of petrol transport. Seems the motor engineers where he works have had a few BMW 2.0 petrol motors just out of warranty jobs in. Expensive. V expensive repairs His current recommendation is the 2.0 VAG petrol, as fitted to the GTI, Vrs & Leon. Or an old Honda or Toyota petrol if you don't want as much oomph.
Thread drift. Apologies.
Latest Forum Posts