Motoring Discussion > Reading to Milton Keynes avoiding M25 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 11

Reading to Milton Keynes avoiding M25 - nice but dim
I'm in Bracknell Thursday most of the day and have to do a few site visits after around 4pm in the Reading and Milton Keynes area.

Is it possible to cut out the M25 when going between these areas.

Google-mapping is seems easy, carry on the M4, head up the A34 then M40 and finally A421 to MK.

It would mean I would around Oxford at 5pm, is that a bad idea?

Any alternatives?
 Reading to Milton Keynes avoiding M25 - Alanovich
Oxford ring road is pretty much always a car park at rush hour. A34 can be and often is hell past Abingdon.

I'd advise the M25. Seriously. Get on the M4 at junction 8/9, not 10. The back road from Bracknell to Maidenhead for J8/9 is quite fast and pretty empty (by Berkshire standards).

Only other route I'd consider is A404(M) to Handy Cross and cross country from there via Aylesbury, but I have no idea what the traffic is usually like in Aylesbury so don't blame me if goes mammaries skywards.
 Reading to Milton Keynes avoiding M25 - Zero
As Alanovic says, avoid the A34 and Oxford ring road at all costs. With the exception of the M4 to M40 section, the M25 clockwise to the M1 is usually pretty good.
Yep. Earlier statement about getting on at J8/9 only applies if you're accessing the M4 directly from Bracknell, or from the northern side of Reading (i.e. Caversham, north of the Thames - if you're going to that northern part of Reading, then when leaving town head out to the A4 via Sonning and then get to the A404(M) and take your pick of north to the M40 via Handy Cross, or south to the M4 via J8/9 to get to the M25). Listen out for traffic announcements on local radio, and avoid Handy Cross if it gets a mention.
Thanks, I will take your advice and just try and avoid the M25 M4 - M40 section.

It was that reason I was asking, when I usually head from Epsom to home, I can spend an hour in that area.

I could also stop off for an hour have a bite and travel later maybe 6 - 6:30pm.

Thanks for all replies.
If you're in Reading and needing a bite to eat, let me know what sort of thing you like and I can probably recommend something. This bloke is usually spot on in his reviews:

www.ediblereading.com

Cheers Al, this ones not going on expenses this time so will probably just be a McGreaseFest and a read of Car Mechanics to pass the time.

Late home wont be a problem, I can request work from home days and will probably knackered after three days away.
Last edited by: nice but dim on Mon 21 Sep 15 at 11:07
>> Cheers Al, this ones not going on expenses this time so will probably just be
>> a McGreaseFest and a read of Car Mechanics to pass the time.

OK NBD, understood, but do take a look at the list of "Cheap Eats" on that website, might save you from that nasty McFate. Surprisingly we have an awful lot of really good independent eateries in Reading. It really isn't the town it was 20 years ago.
 Reading to Milton Keynes avoiding M25 - Manatee
I live near Tring and at the moment I travel fairly often between Basingstoke and home. I use the A33 to the M4 @ Reading, then M4 to the A404 to Handy Cross, then a variety of cross country routes for the last bit.

It's a bit of a seige from Handy Cross north if you don't know the roads, but I would go down to High Wycombe and then cross country via Hughenden Valley to Wendover; then skirting Tring to the north, onto the Leighton Buzzard southern bypass and follow the signs to MK (there is a new road from LB to Bletchley).

Waypoints for your satnav are Butlers Cross and Bulbourne. It should all flow reasonably well; the fiddly part is Handy Cross to Leighton Buzzard.

With a fair wind of course the M25 would be a few miles further, a bit quicker and less hassle; but it's in the lap of the gods and as often as not I seem to get half an hour of delays somewhere on that stretch between M4 and M1.

If you can avoid busy times it should be 90-100 minutes.

Route: goo.gl/maps/qUJFkM9xxCU2
Nice one, M. I'll try to remember that one. I once tried to get back to Reading from Stevenage avoiding the M25 on a Friday afternoon. Murder. 3.5 hours. Mind you, I've no idea if it would have been quicker sticking to the motorways, but radio announcements regarding the M25 were apocalyptic that day. I had a little stop in Amersham Tescos to pull myself together and have a pastie. I probably selected an unwise route if I went via Amersham, thinking about it.
 Reading to Milton Keynes avoiding M25 - Avant
As any Irishman will tell you, if you want to go from Stevenage to Reading, don't start at Stevenage....

I think on a Friday I'd have gone a bit further north and tried to go cross-country, making for the A41 and picking up the B4009 back through Chinnor and Watlington. Maybe no quicker than the M25 but more likely at least to keep going.
Thanks for all replies, not had much time to close this one.

Took the Handy Cross shortcut, was stuck there for about 10 minutes and the M25 was flowing with the odd hiccup so better than I thought. Six hours home to Doncaster - but I dawdle in the slow lane so that's expected.
Latest Forum Posts