Motoring Discussion > Anyone lost a car? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 18

Anyone lost a car? - Old Navy
tinyurl.com/nb4sco3
 Anyone lost a car? - Stuartli
Thought this paragraph was very enlightening...

"Since the start of the year, more than 40,000 cars have been stolen in London with a quarter of these using keyless technology."

PS

You'll have to be more careful in future as one or two of this forum's members hold their hands up in horror at such links to a certain publication...:-) :-)

Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 22 Sep 15 at 22:23
>> PS
>>
>> You'll have to be more careful in future as one or two of this forum's
>> members hold their hands up in horror at such links to a certain publication...:-) :-)
>>

Not my problem if we have some narrow minded forum readers. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 22 Sep 15 at 22:39
 Anyone lost a car? - Zero
>> Thought this paragraph was very enlightening...
>>
>> "Since the start of the year, more than 40,000 cars have been stolen in London
>> with a quarter of these using keyless technology."

Clearly then keyless technology is more secure than the other 75%
 Anyone lost a car? - No FM2R
Last year 69,547 cars were stolen in the whole of the UK. (Which strikes me as a HUGE amount, but apparently down by 70% over the last 10 years).

According to that quote in Stuart's note 40,000 [5,000 cars per month] have been stolen in London. So this year the number of cars stolen in London will be roughly equivalent to the total number of cars stolen in the UK last year despite only being half of Greater Manchester's figure last year?

I have my doubts.

Still a lot mind you, whatever the accurate figure is.
>>Not my problem if we have some narrow minded forum readers. :-)

Whereas the accuracy of the report is presumably acceptable for your requirements?
>> Whereas the accuracy of the report is presumably acceptable for your requirements?
>>

Is anyone daft enough to take any media as gospel? It is at best only one side of a story slanted towards the publishers opinion.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 22 Sep 15 at 23:21
>>Is anyone daft enough to take any media as gospel?

Sadly I think a great chunk of the world's population is exactly daft enough.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 22 Sep 15 at 23:27
 Anyone lost a car? - sherlock47
>>Is anyone daft enough to take any media as gospel?<<

The really worrying thing is the number of copies of the DM in sold each day.

sales figures for the lat 6 years, in reverse order,
Daily Mail 1,688,727 1,780,565 1,863,151 1,945,496 2,136,568 2,120,347

Now, since statistics can prove anything, is the sales decline due to,

a) Improving educational standards & better teachers, with pupils becoming more selective in their choice?

b)Declining educational standards, with fewer people who can actually read.

c)The english language becoming a minority tongue in the uk?

d)The DM readers emigrating faster than the swarm landing at Dover.

Anyone lost a car? - WillDeBeest
(e) A steep decline in sales of all print media.

As with the car thefts, the numbers mean little without context.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 23 Sep 15 at 07:14
 Anyone lost a car? - Focusless
>> (e) A steep decline in sales of all print media.

...and especially relevant to the DM, whose website became the most popular in the world (or something like that) recently. Why read yesterdays news (allegedly) in the paper when you can read today's online.

EDIT: most popular news website? Overtook New York Times IIRC?
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 23 Sep 15 at 08:01
 Anyone lost a car? - Tigger
>> ...and especially relevant to the DM, whose website became the most popular in the world...

The content can sometimes annoy, but the technology works well - both the website and the Android app (don't know about the IOS one). As someone who works in digital tech, I think they do a better job than any of the other players, including the guardian, telegraph etc.

If only they would raise the quality of the journalism!
 Anyone lost a car? - spamcan61
>> Is anyone daft enough to take any media as gospel? It is at best only
>> one side of a story slanted towards the publishers opinion.

Aye, I'd realised that by the time I left school, and hence have never been a regular newspaper buyer, despite now being in the over 40 age range.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 23 Sep 15 at 10:28
 Anyone lost a car? - Crankcase
For a while I was getting my news online and Mrs was reading it in the paper. This led to constant conversations where I would say "What do you think about..." to get a blank look, as she hadn't read it in the next day's paper yet.

Similarly, she would say "have you seen that thing about..." she'd just discovered when it was all over and done with twelve hours before.

It's like we were 24 hours apart in time.

Anyone lost a car? - Mapmaker
I don't bother with hard copy papers, I've already read it on the app on my iPhone.

Back on track, re keyless ignition:

"It is believed that ALL of the stolen vehicles were equipped with keyless ignition, which the criminals managed to breach by using reprogrammed keys to start the cars up and drive off.
Car manufacturers, insurance companies and police forces are facing an uphill battle against the sophisticated method."

But then less believable:

"In upmarket Kensington and Chelsea, officers are now stopping high-end vehicles being driven in the area after midnight, when many vehicle thefts take place."

K&C is gridlocked even after midnight. With high-end vehicles.
 Anyone lost a car? - Westpig
I would never buy a car with a keyless set up.
>I would never buy a car with a keyless set up.

Why not?

If you mean for the sake of security then I think you are wrong. What is the difference between the nickability of a 1980s Ford and today's Ford?

Both have keys, both have steering locks, one has electronics. Kind of suggesting that its the electronics that deliver the security, not the little bit of shiny metal or the ignition lock.
 Anyone lost a car? - Westpig
>> Why not?

tinyurl.com/p6b59wh

... and, I want to hear the thing 'click' and/or the lights flash when I lock it, not stroll off and hope it has.
Last edited by: Westpig on Wed 23 Sep 15 at 17:13
 Anyone lost a car? - ....

>> PS
>>
>> You'll have to be more careful in future as one or two of this forum's
>> members hold their hands up in horror at such links to a certain publication...:-) :-)
>>

www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/warn-young-children-about-daily-mail-sidebar-say-experts-2013052069327
Latest Forum Posts