Motoring Discussion > Cover note Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 12

Cover note - J Bonington Jagworth
Are these still available? I want to go and look at a car, with a view to purchase, but my main current vehicle is a motorbike, so I don't have any car cover. My usual broker says he can't insure me for something I don't own, and another one wants £70(!) for one-day cover.

The last time I bought a car off Ebay, they offered a free short-term policy for exactly this purpose, but this option seems to have vanished.

Any ideas?
 Cover note - ....
Depends where you are buying from.

Most franchised garages offer 7 days cover, giving you time to go home and sort something out.

If buying from eBay then I suppose what you could do is get a quote online for what you are thinking of buying, buy it, then ring up and take out the policy.

DO NOT buy the car then start shopping around.
 Cover note - Zero
>> Depends where you are buying from.
>>
>> Most franchised garages offer 7 days cover, giving you time to go home and sort
>> something out.

Which is what I did. Aviva offer 7 days free cover through dealers. And funnily enough I have been with them ever since.
 Cover note - Stuartli
When I bought my current used Jetta from a VW dealership, insurance cover for a week was provided by VW's own insurance underwriters.

However, I only used it for a few days as I stuck with the insurance company I was already with, as the premium was still only half the cost VW wanted after registering the new vehicle's details...:-)
 Cover note - No FM2R
>>My usual broker says he can't insure me for something I don't own

Maybe he can't but a real broker could. How does he think people manage with a vehicle on HP, or a garage loan car?

1) Take a laptop, phone or tablet with you. If you buy the car log onto Confused.com and get yourself 24 hours cover and then sort it out in the comfort of your own home.

2) get a quote from an insurer that will be contactable for the hours you are viewing the car; Directline for example, get a quote on the vehicle and retain your reference. Ring them while you're standing by the car that you just bought and they will commence the cover straight away.

Cover note - Fursty Ferret
£25 / day through Aviva on any car for me if I need short term insurance. It's a stand-alone policy and designed for stuff like test drives etc.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 25 Sep 15 at 21:15
 Cover note - henry k
>> £25 / day through Aviva on any car for me if I need short term
>> insurance. It's a stand-alone policy and designed for stuff like test drives etc.
>>
Three years ago I just googled and picked an insurance co that gave me one days insurance.
IIRC it was about £25. I wanted to test drive My X type that was being sold by a private owner.
I was just not interested in any existing insurance hassle / promises etc.
I trusted the seller but I wanted complete peace of mind so I did not even ask and I could then concentrate on testing the vehicle.
 Cover note - Slidingpillar
2) get a quote from an insurer that will be contactable for the hours you are viewing the car; Directline for example, get a quote on the vehicle and retain your reference. Ring them while you're standing by the car that you just bought and they will commence the cover straight away.

This. Ok so it was a while ago - about 1997 I think, but I arranged with a broker for cover to start if I rang and said I'd bought the car. Slight hiccup as the vendor turned out to not be served by cellphone, but as I was trailing the bought car, not really a problem as I didn't need to go too far before I could make the phone call.

One might question the wisdom of buying an old car with no MOT for £15000, but not many of the model ever come to market and the current agreed value is £35000 so not really a problem.
Thanks, all. Actually, it's the cover for a test drive that I'm looking for, on a private sale. It seems to be a Catch-22, in that I don't have car insurance that might otherwise apply to other vehicles and even if the vendor has 'any driver' cover, that only applies to people who are already insured!
 Cover note - Manatee
www.rac.co.uk/insurance/test-drive-insurance
 Cover note - No FM2R
>> even if the vendor has 'any driver' cover, that only applies to people who are already insured!

Oh no, I don't think so.

If the Certificate says "Any Driver" then you are legal. You might not like the extent of cover, but you ARE legal. Irrespective of what the policy Ts&Cs or schedule say.

That certainly sounds more logical!

Manatee - thanks for the RAC link. At least they seem to acknowledge the difficulty.
 VED transfer - J Bonington Jagworth
Have now settled on the car (a 2002 Seat Arosa for my son to use), but is there a way of optimising the transfer 'moment' to optimise the VED situation, so the seller gets her refund for September, but my tenure starts in October..?
Latest Forum Posts