Motoring Discussion > How long have you owned your current car(s)? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 52

How long have you owned your current car(s)? - RattleandSmoke
I was known to always change my cars but since I bought my Panda new in 2010 I haven't had any reason to change. There has been times when I have been tempted, but the lore of the hot sun in the Med always seemed like a better thing to spend money on than a box with wheels.

My plan is now to keep my Panda until things start to go wrong, it does need new rear shocks now but that is not a big job. I've had my car five and a half years now which seems like a long time but I still don't have that much desire to upgrade.

Next year I may change my mind but I now is not the right time financially to sell at as it has lost most of its value and the rate it depreciates will only slow down from now on. I think my thing with cars will always be to buy cheap basic cars brand new, then keep them for as long as I can. I just place so much value in brand new cars simply because I lost so much on that Corsa :(.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Bromptonaut
Older Berlingo 10yrs and 6 months.

Newer Berlingo 2yrs and 1 month.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Westpig
Triumph 2000 mk1 auto, 1968 'G'...owned since 1989.....26 years
Jag S Type 3.0SE auto, 1999 'T'......owned since 2002.....13 years
Honda Blackbird, 1998 'S'...............owned since 2002.....13 years
Jag X Type 2.0d SE est, 2005 '54'....owned since 2005.....10 years
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - bathtub tom
>>it does need new rear shocks

Why do you think it needs new shocks? Not been visiting Kwik Fit have we?
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Zero
The Lancer is the longest I have ever had a car. 6 Years in december. Put 120k miles on it

It is currently 8.5 years old, Suspension is shot but has been for two years but keeps passing the MOT. 2nd cam belt change is due and it needs two new tyres going to cost me 500 quid, WBAC would offer me 380 quid, If I stick it on autotrader with a new MOT I would get 1k.

Its now true bangernomics territory, do I spend 300 quid on a cam belt change or not. head says yes, heart says get a new car.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Enderman
Is that the same type of Lancer that Warranty Direct place in top position on their Reliability Index?
If so, do you agree with their assessment? (just curious)
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Zero
Yes I think so and yes 100%. 130k miles and two new broken drop links is the only non service item requiring attention

It's been reliable with a capital RRRRR
Was an advisory on the MOT, I can feel it is a bit bouncy and it now knocks. I suspect it is due to all the pot holes round here and speed bumps etc.

My dads i10 is younger than the Panda and has already needing new bushes when it was just two years old (done under warrantty). The Fiesta would fail the MOT every year on bushes or other suspension issue.

Edit just leaving the cam belt on mine, is a none interference engine and as I don't really do any high speed motorway driving I will risk it. It is quite rare for cambelts to snap on the 8V FIRE engines anyway.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 2 Oct 15 at 16:14
>> Why do you think it needs new shocks?

I've just put 4 new ones on my X Type... (one was weeping at the back, so that meant two anyway)...

I thought: I do Scotland from Devon 2 or 3 times a year with the thing well fully laden, inc a roof box.. and I don't hang around, at all... and the car is 10 years old with 94k on the clock...so why risk things when the dearest people to me are all in the same car.

Same principle with tyres. Two new ones going on in 2 weeks time just before the next Jockland visit... and they'll be Pirelli P7's.

Trouble is, the two most recent bills (shocks and 4 x injectors) have come to £2K on a car worth £1600 - £1800 Trade and £3k Retail.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Bromptonaut
>> Trouble is, the two most recent bills (shocks and 4 x injectors) have come to
>> £2K on a car worth £1600 - £1800 Trade and £3k Retail.

The comparator isn't the cars current value but what it would cost you to change to a suitable successor. That's why I stuck with my Berlingo through the stuff with rough cold starts. Once the problem was properly diagnosed and appropriately repaired it's been fine.

Problem now is the steering's getting heavy. Hopefully a joint somewhere and not the PAS gear..... Going to a new (to me) garage next week.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - henry k
>>..... tyres. Two new ones going on in 2 weeks time ... and they'll be Pirelli P7's.
>>
I could not wait to get rid of the original from new, Pirellis. Unbelievably noisy.
I fitted o Kumos all round and last month, in an emergency ( puely a time factor) I had a pair Hankooks fitted.
The main problem since I binned the Pirellis is that I can hear the wind noise around the door mirrors.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Manatee
Boy's Panda is just 10 years old now, has been more or less neglected (it's his, not mine) and not much has gone wrong - it has a sticky brake piston that might cost a new caliper at some point, and it had a battery a couple of years ago. No rust. I'm pretty sure it does more miles than yours.

My Outlander is 4.5 years old, her Roomster about 16 months (she kept the Civic for 12 years before that). My almost 18 year old MX5 I have had for just over 4 years.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 2 Oct 15 at 16:04
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - commerdriver
Current car (company car) 18 months
Commer 28 years, but been in wife's family since 1975
Wife's car bought new March 2001 so 14 years, her 3rd car since we married in 1981
Daughter's car Inherited from my late mum 2011, owned by her since new in Sep 1999

apart from my regularly changed company car (this will be the last), we don't change much
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Lygonos
59 FRV 1.8 auto - 5.5yr and 80,000 miles - fresh MOT with no advisories - planning to probably drive til it dies. Cost 12.5 grand as a pre-reg, WBAC offer £4,900.

2000X Forester 2.0 Turbo - 2.5yr and 8,000 miles (fancied something to tinker with and had a Swift at the time which I wouldn't trust on a house visit up a snowy lane and wasn't so good for taking crapola to the dump - almost no snow past 2 years of course!) - not entirely standard so WBAC value pointless

63 Suzuki Kizashi 2.4 - 1.5yr and 11,000 miles - cost perhaps 12.5 grand (4k cash + 2 yr old Swift Sport valued by dealer at £8,500) - WBAC value £8,900.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Ted

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2L TD Auto...............4 yrs

Nissan Note 1600 Auto ..........................6 yrs

Honda FJS 600 Auto.............................11 yrs

Velocette LE 192cc...............................19 Yrs

Jowett Javelin 1492cc De Luxe..............43 yrs

83 yrs altogether.
I am glad to see that people have had their cars a lot longer than I have! Not sure if I will keep my Panda for 43 years though!
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 2 Oct 15 at 16:30
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - WillDeBeest
As well documented here, I went through several phases of the 'spend or sell' question that Z is facing with his Lancer. I went for 'spend' three times in four years, replacing clutch and DMF, intercooler and two injectors, total cost about £2,500. The car paid me back by running reliably on and costing me far less than the depreciation on something shinier.

I could probably have gone for 'spend' again this spring, but a likely £1,500 for a new turbo to remedy an intermittent stickiness that I could drive around but which alarmed and perplexed Mrs Beest, plus some other bits to bring it back to par, seemed a spend too far. Plus I got a significant promotion in the winter and our patterns of use had changed - and I reckoned I was ready for something different. The heart got the casting vote and along came the BMW coupé I have now.

But unless there's a significant heart input to replacing a reliable middle-aged car, what's the point? We did a thread here a while ago about changing a Yaris for a Kia, or something of the kind. All that seems to achieve is to replace one shade of grey with another, more expensive one.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Alastairw
Had the Octavia 5 and a half years. Can't see me changing any time soon, as while I don't need all the space every day it's handy every now and then to be able to carry adults in the back seats.
>> As well documented here, I went through several phases of the 'spend or sell' question
>> that Z is facing with his Lancer.

We are sort of in that position for our X Type est.

I say sort of because:

A, we both like it.. a lot
B, there's nothing really out there that we (mostly I) would want in its place (other than an XF Sportbrake which is too much money at the mo)
C, financially, we are spending money on our house rather than cars and we've had to get used to a different budget without London salaries.

So there you go, I've answered my own question.
Ted, what would be your opinion of using a good (but not pristine) Javelin as a daily driver?
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Robin O'Reliant
T reg Astra, bought nearly two years ago for £1050 with 63k on the clock, now up to 95k. Touch wood, cost me a only few tyres and a coil pack so far.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Skip
I am a PCP slave and have been for quite a few years now so I change cars every 2.5 years when they start offering the incentives to change. Nothing exotic, just run of the mill hatchbacks. I keep saying that I am going to break the cycle, but haven't yet. Change time is coming up again now, but not decided what to go for next so far.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Ted
>> Ted, what would be your opinion of using a good (but not pristine) Javelin as
>> a daily driver?
>>
>>
Just gpt in from being out...Endy.

Depends on the mileage, really. A good, sorted one will do the business but they are around 65 yrs old now. I commuted a 26 mile daily round trip in mine without any major problems.

The thing is, you don't really want to do it in winter...no HRW, decent blowers, heater, wipers, lights, etc, etc. You really need an alternator as well...an easy conversion to a Lucas AC17R. Makes a lot of sense.

Brakes are fine and it'll keep up with everyone but probably a bit too slow for M way thrashes.

You thinking of one ??
>> You thinking of one ??

Well, ideally I'd like a Citroen DS, but at the same time I worry about how soon I'd get a huge bill. The Javelin has always interested me, because it was also unorthodox and a bit ahead of its time. But then I also like the Standard Vanguard (phase 1)
- it seems I must have something Freudian going on, about streamlined derrieres!

(sorry for going way off-topic)
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - J Bonington Jagworth
"Jowett Javelin 1492cc De Luxe..............43 yrs"

Respect! My grandad had one before he moved to Ford Consuls and a Zephyr which, bizarrely, he let me steer at about the age of 5, while sitting on his lap. Somehow, I expect he had a grip on the wheel somewhere, but I thought it was me...

We have an Austin 7 club that meets near here, and I've never really understood why most cars rust away in a decade or so (less since galvanisation, but even so) and some seem to last almost indefinitely. The little 7's putter about quite happily, and are probably as environmentally friendly as anything. Even a modern VW. :-)
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Slidingpillar
We have an Austin 7 club that meets near here, and I've never really understood why most cars rust away in a decade or so (less since galvanisation, but even so) and some seem to last almost indefinitely. The little 7's putter about quite happily, and are probably as environmentally friendly as anything. Even a modern VW. :-)

Someone where I worked early on said such things were the result of them being made from pre atom bomb steel!

The Morgan 4/4 I had for roughly 30 years, and the three wheeler, which I still have, I've had for 17 years. Tend to keep stuff in my family.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - jc2
Five days.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - The Melting Snowman
2007 Focus owned for seven and a half years. It was a distress purchase as my previous car was giving significant reliability problems at only 30000 miles so I decided to get rid asap. I only intended to keep the Focus for a year but it has been 100% reliable, only needing to go to a garage for an MoT or service. It's of an age now where I may as well keep it until it dies.

My works car is a Mondeo TDCi which I have had for a year, but I intend to retire soon so it can go back. Nice car though.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - ....
S60 I have had coming up for 2 years at end of November, that replaced an S60 I had for 6 years and 51 weeks.

Toyota Auris bought new end of Jan. 2015.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - madf
Toyota Yaris: 10 years. (Car is 13).
Faults - mechanical none. Body has a small dent and a scrape or three.
Honda Jazz CVT 3 years..
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - sajid
honda civic 1985 reg 1.3 dl 1995-2000 5 years
vauxhall astra 1.3 lx 1994 reg 2000-2007- 7 years
honda jazz se 2003 reg 2007-2010 3 years
honda jazz se 2007 reg 2010-2014 4 years

currrent car honda civic 2009 reg 2.2 ex ctdi 2014- present day

The worst car to own was the astra it had a 60 BHP hi torque engine no pas no eletric mirrors
no air con no electric windows unreliable kept breaking down every year the last thing which went on it was the front wiper motor, quick trip down the scrappy and £10 lighter voila a new wiper motor.

Broke down on the traffic lights got my mum and dad to push the car, to bump start it, that was a sureal moment as there was a victor meldrew episode two old pensioners pushing a motor car.

Next thing the exhaust broke .....

i dont believe it !

Went to jap cars after this
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Ambo
MGTC 1953
MGTC
Alvis
MGTD
Landrover
Volkswagen Beetle new
Austin 7
Citroen 2CV new
Sunbeam Alpine new
Volvo P1800 new
Morris Minor Traveller new
Ford Fairlane
Citroen Ami 6 new
Renault 4 new
Triumph Spitfire new
Citroen 2CV new
Renault 5 new
Renault 5
MGBGT
Bedford motorcaravan conversion
Mitsubishi Colt new
MGtf new
Fiat Punto new
Mitsubishi Colt new
Mitsubishi Colt (joint with wife) new
Skoda Fabia new
Hyundai i30 new
Hyundai i10 new
Hyundai i10 new 2014 (in wife’s name)

TOTAL 29 (19 new) in 62 years. 2.14 years per car or 0.47 cars per year

Also 3 motor cycles:Aerial 350cc (ex-WWII despatch riders');Royal Enfield 250cc;
Honda Cub moped 50cc new; about 80 other cars including company and rented. I'm getting a bit fed up with cars.

How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Falkirk Bairn
1966 Cortina (new)
Triumph Herald
MGB GT(new)
Austin 1800 (new)
Cortina
Cortina(new)
Cortina (new)
Cavalier(new)
Cortina (new)
Cavalier (new)
Cavalier(new)
Peugeot 305
Hyundai Pony (new)
Hyundai Pony (new)
Peugeot 405 (new)
Cavalier (new)
Cavalier (new)
MB C220- disaster
Honda Coupe (new)
Mazda Xedos (bought with 2k miles)
Honda Estate (new)
Xtrail (new)
CRV (new)

23 cars in 50 years driving
1995 bought first Japanese car and realised what reliability is!
Longest owned car was Xedos 15+ years

I have not included 1984 Cortina as the engine blew up @ 25 miles on the clock or the Cavalier that was stolen from the garage 4court when a driver/salesman left the keys in the car before going into the office to get the handbook (mileage 6)

Triumph 250 / Honda 125 / Honda 125 in teens & early 20s

Looking for new car as SWMBO has back issues & CRV is too high to get in.

Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Sat 3 Oct 15 at 19:51
Bor-ing.

Come on chaps, there must be a tyre change or a bottle of screenwash you've forgotten to catalogue.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Armel Coussine
Oh damn, birdscheiss smears indicate empty screenwash reservoir, jug tomorrow and drop of washing-up liquid, something else to remember, damn...
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - zippy
Vauxhall Mokka for 2 years 7 months. The reviews are wrong. It is a good car all things considered.

I would get another or even an Insignia if it were not for the awful local dealer who have failed to fix the same issues on numerous occasions. Last time they had it, it was returned with freshly scuffed alloys which they denied responsibility for. It was in for 3 days to get brake pads changed because they broke the locking wheel nut!

I forgive the Mokka because it was one of first delivered in to the UK so there Erie bound to be teething problems and tbh I had more problems with my BMW from new, but the dealer service was better.

If the manufacturers realised the damage a bad dealer can do they would monitor them more closely.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 3 Oct 15 at 21:28
>> Bor-ing.
>>
>> Come on chaps, there must be a tyre change or a bottle of screenwash you've
>> forgotten to catalogue.
>>
I know, the subject is not enough of a clue.

How long have you owned your "current" car and we get a list going back to when people learned to drive.

There are a few vehicles here which are still with the same owner but if you no longer have the "car" (bikes do not count) then you cannot list it here.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Manatee
Here's an exciting update.

I put the winter wheels on the Outlander this afternoon. A bit sooner than usual, but the Continentals on the alloy wheels are down to 3mm or less.

As usual, the ride is a little softer and the noise level lower on the 16" 70 profile than the 18" 55.

The replacements for the very noisy Contis will probably be Uniroyals, with a lower noise rating.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - No FM2R
I'm never sure about using winter tyres, and its so difficult to find somewhere to discuss the pros and cons.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Fursty Ferret
V60, just coming up to 3 months.
I thought about putting the winter tyres on today but it was 22C outside. I cut the hedge and grapes back instead.

Guarantee it will be -10C next weekend now.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - legacylad
39C here today. It's cooling off! I would imagine a conversation in these parts about winter tyres would be short lived🍻👍
I cut the hedge and grapes back instead.

I hope that's not some Urban Dictionary euphemism.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Dog
I've still got my Wintrac xtremes on from last winter, a winter where we didn't have any white stuff here anyway.

:}
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Dave_
I inherited my father's two cars just under two years ago: a 2012 Mercedes C-Class estate and 1979 Morgan +8 two seater. He'd only owned the C-Class for a month, having bought it as a replacement for his 2003 C-Class which had shed its timing chain.

I had a 2007 Saab 9-5 estate at that time; I would have kept it and sold the 2003 C-Class if that had still been going.

I've added 53,000 miles to the Merc's 14k in that time; the Morgan has just presented me with a £5k invoice for a new axle among other things... it's still not quite on 50k miles.

Historically I've owned cars for a couple of years at most, but that's because they were half-knackered when I got them. I'm planning to drive the C-Class into the ground, which could take some time. Fortunately it's a nice place to be.

I have a set of winter wheels for the Merc in the garage, but I won't put them on it until December ;)
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Sun 4 Oct 15 at 11:51
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Mapmaker
55 Honda Accord, a bit over four years. As I tend to run my cars until they expire, who knows...
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - J Bonington Jagworth
FB

Did the Xedos go to a good home? The lacquer went on mine, and since that coincided with some rust and a few niggles (mostly through not being used enough) I sent her to the scrappie. The engine was as sweet as ever, though...
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - RichardW
Visa convertible - 14 and a bit years - of that time it has spent less than 8 weeks on the road...!
C4 Picasso - 3.5 years. Was on the critical list, but a recent EGR valve change has reprieved it, hoping to get another 2 years / 25k out of it.
307 SW - 20 months. Run it till it dies - hope it will get to 160-170k, so should be good for another 4 years or so yet.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - No FM2R
>>Visa convertible - 14 and a bit years - of that time it has spent less than 8 weeks on the road...!

Why? Is it a collectible thing?
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - diddy1234
Kia Rio 1.5 CRDI - brought new 2009 (6 1/2 years old) - still going strong at 74,000 miles after good advise from you lot on this site how to drive the first 1,000 miles. thanks boys.

I am thinking of changing the car but until I get early warning signs of something amiss, no point.

in 74,000 miles it's needed four new tyres and seven services. other than that nothing. not even brake pads but they are a little worn :-)

Kia Sedona (wifes car) - brought second hand 2013 - no issues with it after garage 'fixed' the engine light issue *. recently had four new tyres on it

* Sedona had to have four new injectors, reconditioned fuel pump, fuel lines and tank cleaned out.
£2,500 of work on the car covered by warranty from the second hand dealer.
top marks.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - figarofan
I bought a 2003 Skoda Fabia 2 years and 5 months ago and I expect I'll have it for at least another two years, unless it gets damaged enough to cost more to fix than it's worth (which seems unlikely). I'll probably just replace it with another Fabia, since they're so sturdy and reliable.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - hawkeye
Mrs H's Citroen C3 mk 2 since Feb '10
My Citroen C8 since Oct '04
My Suzuki V-Strom since July '06

I've just put a new starter motor on the C8 to go with the new battery; misdiagnosis or bad luck? A front wheel bearing went in France in August, the vibration taking the ABS sensor with it; that stretched the language skills a bit. Still doing exactly the same job for us as when I paid £alot for it 11 years ago. I'd like to get an S-type Jag but our house-building project has soaked up my new car budget.
 How long have you owned your current car(s)? - Boxsterboy
2CV - about 16 years
Mrs' Merc CLK convertible - 5 years
Mrs' S-Max - 5 years
VW Transporter - 2 years
Latest Forum Posts