Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen - Moving on from VW Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Paul Robinson Replies: 14

Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - Paul Robinson
I live in an area where lots of people who could afford to buy any car they wanted, have time after time bought a VW. I can't help wondering if they are going to forgive VW and if not which brand they are going to switch loyalty to?
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - sooty123
I don't think they will switch. I don't think there's a brand out there with that image. Theres no real lose to the customer in the defeat device.
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - Westpig
>> Theres no real lose to the customer in the defeat device.
>>

Not yet. No one knows what the fix is going to be.

If VW have to do something to all those cars and that 'something' makes it less driveable or have less performance, then it's going to 'p' people off.
I know there's a thread about this but as i understand it, it only kicks in during test mode. I can't see how they'd mod it to make it worse under normal conditions.
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - Cliff Pope
>> as i understand it, it only kicks
>> in during test mode. I can't see how they'd mod it to make it worse
>> under normal conditions.
>>

But that's the point, isn't it? It alters its settings during test-mode to give very low emissions of the nasty stuff, but once out on the road it reverts to normal polluting mode to give the performance people thought they were buying.
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - WillDeBeest
...it only kicks in during test mode. I can't see how they'd mod it to make it worse under normal conditions.

Isn't it the other way round? In normal, on-road driving, the device 'defeats' (ie disables or bypasses) the anti-NOx measures, leaving them properly effective only in test conditions. Test mode is fine; it's normal mode that's going to have to change to keep the emissions legal, and I imagine owners will notice the effect of that.
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - Old Navy
Hypothetical fix. Just imagine that the only way to make the VW (and maybe others) meet the test parameters at all times is to disable or remove the turbo. Owners might just notice that.
Your probably right wdb, not owning a vw i didn't follow it all to the nth degree. Its probably on the other thread but i admit i got a bit lost trying to follow the various volumes about it all.
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - Robin O'Reliant
Heard an advert on local radio this morning from Trade Centre Wales claiming they are knocking 2k off the price of all German cars, not just VW. One assumes this must mean they have been taking a hit on shifting the things.
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - madf
>> Heard an advert on local radio this morning from Trade Centre Wales claiming they are
>> knocking 2k off the price of all German cars, not just VW. One assumes this
>> must mean they have been taking a hit on shifting the things.
>>

I think we can safely assume after the VW new broke that any German car trade in they made had a dramatic fall in Trade in value...
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - Westpig
>> Heard an advert on local radio this morning from Trade Centre Wales claiming they are
>> knocking 2k off the price of all German cars, not just VW. One assumes this
>> must mean they have been taking a hit on shifting the things.

Maybe, maybe not.

When I was trading, if I had a customer that wanted a specific car... and sod'a law I was finding it difficult to source one...i'd sometimes try the private ads on Autotrader or failing that dealers... and see if I could either get a trade deal or enough knocked off to make it worth my while.

I incorrectly assumed that the Trade places might be worth my starting point... however when I checked their prices some were awfully high. I have no idea whether they offered falsely high trade in prices or whether they discounted things once you got there to seem like you were getting a good deal.

It may be the case they have that amount of room in the car anyway and think by offering a decent deal and shift a few, people will think they're getting the ultimate bargain..or.. they put the prices up last week and down again this week.
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - mikeyb
>> Heard an advert on local radio this morning from Trade Centre Wales

Are they the adverts with tell them Trevor sent you?
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - Boxsterboy
I think VWs image is strong enough to ride out this story.
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - No FM2R
>>I think VWs image is strong enough to ride out this story.

In some countries I have no doubt you are correct, however;

One of the things which surprised me when I first started working internationally was how differently brands can be viewed in different markets. What is viewed as quality in one place, is cheap in another and dodgy in another.

So no doubt strong enough in some countries, and no doubt not strong enough in others. Overall, who knows?

It'll take 5 years to understand how their brand has changed or survived.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 4 Oct 15 at 20:45
 Volkswagen - Moving on from VW - mikeyb
I think in the UK they will weather it OK......unless removing the defeat device has subsequent impact on owners.

Are the affected models using adblue?
Latest Forum Posts