Motoring Discussion > Stolen Caravan Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 10

Stolen Caravan - Zero
Warwick Davis had his caravan stolen

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-34499535

With his holiday memories on board, don't know if I should cry or laugh..

seen heading towards Farcet "trailing its wheel lock, sparks flowing".

Sorry, Laugh!

Last seen behind a blue transit.

Pie - keeeeeeeeeeeeys!
 Stolen Caravan - Bromptonaut
I guess they're like bikes. No security good enough if (eg Brompton) it's what the thief's really after and he's got time to nick it unobserved.

Hope my hitchlock plus wheel lock AND diminutive 'van too small for family stored on a secure site is enough.
 Stolen Caravan - Old Navy
There is a caravan near me that is stored with its wheels removed and replaced with square steel stands. Similar to these.

www.towsure.com/security/caravan-winter-wheels
 Stolen Caravan - sooty123
A more expensive version of the household brick?

I remember my parents had their van nearly nicked once, half way onto a transit van when they were disturbed. Left it half way in the road and did a runner.
 Stolen Caravan - Ted

When we use the van, I take it up the drive from it's bedroom at the end of the garden and leave it ' up the front ' overnight. Mainly 'cos I don't want to waste time and energy in the morning.

To get the van door open, I have to have the towbar sticking out over the pavement about 18 inches. I have to use the motormover to get out so I leave the rollers engaged...the wheels won't turn with them ' on '. The lifting handle on the stabiliser has a thick, short chain through it, wrapped around the towhitch and secured with a heavy padlock. If you can't lift the handle, you can't release the security ball and hitch it up.
Like Brompy's, it may not be too sought after as, though 17ft long, it only sleeps two...not a family.

I also chain 2 wheely bins to it with good chain...one either side of the towhitch. This has the added bonus of preventing peds from walking into it. Plus, they are noisy to move.

Finally, I park the Vitara, which has an alarm, right across the drive in the road. So far so good !

I suppose I could attach something noisy at the back, like another bin. Parked where it is, you can't get at the back and I would imagine a caravan towing a wheely bin would soon be noticed.

Some owners put a big ' Stolen...tell Police ' sign in the back window...but mine is white glass...so no good.
 Stolen Caravan - Armel Coussine
I don't think I've ever slept in a caravan.

We've got an old traditional-style horsedrawn gypsy caravan mouldering in the middle of a field out the back here. The nippers play in it sometimes. It would be quite difficult to steal. I doubt if the wheels would stay together.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 12 Oct 15 at 00:17
 Stolen Caravan - Dave_
Ted:

I can't be bothered to find and link to the picture, but a h i t c h l o c k can be bypassed completely. I've seen a shot of a 2ft length of scaffold pole with a hitch welded onto the end; fixed to a caravan's drawbar by means of a couple of exhaust U-clamps. Not ideal for long distance travel perhaps, but enough to start heading towards Farcet.
 Stolen Caravan - Old Navy
>> A more expensive version of the household brick?
>>
>>

I can just see someone who would not be seen dead towing their £20K shed with anything less than a £50K Range Rover parking it on bricks. :-)
 Stolen Caravan - TheManWithNoName
A colleague's 'van was stolen. The police told her even if she'd removed the wheels the thieves often bring spares so they can fit them and be off. They probably do it faster than an F1 team!
 Stolen Caravan - VxFan
New security photo released of the theft

c2.staticflickr.com/4/3444/3953139278_df068f0293.jpg

shamelessly stolen from twitter

tinyurl.com/pj3s6db

Stolen Caravan - Fenlander
Similar to Zero's quote... A resident of Warwick's village tweeted she'd seen his caravan going down the street around 9pm behind a pickup and trailing sparks from the wheel lock.

Really... and they didn't think to report it to the police??

I note from images Warwick posted there were blobs of metal on his block paving... seems they torched the security devices off. Just a bit quieter than a grinder I guess.

Shame... he's a really nice family guy and loved his caravaning.
Latest Forum Posts