Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 22

Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - bathtub tom
I've just heard a new radio advert for Vauxhall's £2k scrappage scheme, where a bloke claims to have taken his old banger in and Vauxhall gave him £2k off a new one!

Pedant's delight.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - VxFan
No age limit on the car you want to trade in
You must have owned the trade-in car for a minimum of 90 days
Vauxhall will accept cars from any manufacturer

www.vauxhall.co.uk/offers-finance/scrappage.html

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Oct 15 at 11:53
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - Alanovich
Headline website price for an Astra Excite is £12595. Go to the configurator, and prices start at £17920k.

What am I missing?

£12595 minus discount minus £2k for the trade in on a PCP starts to look like a tempting way to get a new car. But 18k for a bog standard red Astra? Er, no thanks.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - sooty123
> Headline website price for an Astra Excite is £12595.

I wonder how exciting it is?
In my humble any car can be exciting, driven correctly................
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - RattleandSmoke
All a bit of a scam anyway as it is so easy to get a fortune of list price. I just missed out on the scrappage scheme as I hadn't owned my Corsa long enough. My Panda list was about £8300 including the metallic paint, but I paid £6400 for it. Getting that discount was very easy although I did have to get it from Birmingham.

Vauxhall seem to have very high list prices, but in reality nobody pays that. My dad had a hire car a 1.4 Corsa, the list was about £14k, there is no way anybody would pay that for it. My dad even preferred the i10 as the Corsa had lots of niggly problems.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 12 Oct 15 at 12:30
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - Clk Sec
I wouldn't be interested for two reasons:

1. I don't hear much praise for their cars.

2. I could probably negotiate a better deal from an on-line broker such as DtD, and still be able to get a few shillings for selling my 13 year old barge privately.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - WillDeBeest
Two threads today: one about stealing caravans, the other about illusory discounts on Vauxhalls.

Don't...

...know...

...where...

...to...

...begin.
}:---)
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - spamcan61
>>
>> £12595 minus discount minus £2k for the trade in on a PCP starts to look
>> like a tempting way to get a new car. But 18k for a bog standard
>> red Astra? Er, no thanks.
>>

Certainly seems a lot of money for an OK car to a bangernomics guy like me, but then I was looking at Focus pricing yesterday and it's easy to spec. up a Focus Estate to 28K+, even the 'poverty' spec. is about 18K.
On the Vauxhall site in VF's link there's a picture of a red Astra under the caption 'What a load of scrap'. Genius.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - VxFan
>> On the Vauxhall site in VF's link there's a picture of a red Astra under the caption 'What a load of scrap'. Genius.

Trust you!
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - mikeyb
>> Headline website price for an Astra Excite is £12595. Go to the configurator, and prices
>> start at £17920k.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> £12595 minus discount minus £2k for the trade in on a PCP starts to look
>> like a tempting way to get a new car. But 18k for a bog standard
>> red Astra? Er, no thanks.
>>

New Astra is just out, so I imagine that the Excite (trades descriptions) is a run out model.

Apparently the new model is rather good - couple of reviews say its on a par now with golf / focus
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - zippy
Effectively £10.6k for a new Astra - albeit a basic spec on is a bargain, even if it is a run out model.

Probably cheaper than a second hand one.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - Dave_
Pentagon Derby were chucking out brand new old-shape Zafiras for £9991 a couple of years back. I don't care if it's a bright red 1.6 poverty spec model, £9991 for a shiny new 7-seater suited a fair few people when the new shape Zaf Tourer started at £21k-odd...
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Mon 12 Oct 15 at 22:13
The new Astra, according to What Car? is Vauxhall's best car of the last decade. (I'm tired, write your own.)

They reckon it's roomier and less cheesy inside than a Focus, although not as good to drive and short of engine refinement, while more fun than an Octavia but without the solidity or the space. To my eye it looks as if it's made from bits of Mazda, Citroën and Kia, but maybe that doesn't matter. I think I'd rather have a Škoda for the space and distinct style - but with what engine?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 12 Oct 15 at 22:43
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - PeterS
The petrol Astras I've had as hire cars recently have been far more pleasant than the Focus and, to my eyes at least, are far nicer looking too. The Skoda Octavia is more spacious, but engine wise the Diesel ones are incredibly unrefined and the petrol ones seemed underpowered. But maybe a hire car spec only issue. And avoid the Skoda Rapid at all costs; it's not, and it feels much cheaper inside than the Octavia!! My choice in the class, the Golf or the Peugot 308. Steer clear of Ford, Hyundai or Kia - all perfectly okay, but none stand out in any way at all to me... Or spend more and go for an A Class or Volvo V40
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - Slidingpillar
My sole experience so far with a Vauxhall was not good. Had the car been made properly it was a good design, but the practical implementation of it was poor.

Added to that, two out of three dealers I got to do work were useless. In two cases, had they talked to Vauxhall (who do have a proper dealer contact) two repeat visits would not have been needed.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - zippy
>> My sole experience so far with a Vauxhall was not good. Had the car been
>> made properly it was a good design, but the practical implementation of it was poor.
>>
>> Added to that, two out of three dealers I got to do work were useless.
>> In two cases, had they talked to Vauxhall (who do have a proper dealer contact)
>> two repeat visits would not have been needed.
>>

I have liked the Vauxhalls that I have owned from new but all of them have had faults.

The first, a Vectra had a rear door where the central locking did not work from new. Surely this should have been tested before leaving the factory or even the dealer.

It also needed a new flow sensor (or some such part) for the engine, the car died on the one way up ramp of a shopping centre car park just before Christmas - great!

The second, my current Mokka is a fine small car let down by atrocious local dealers who failed to fix a dangerous fault (brakes sticking on) despite taking it back several times. Had to abandon it with them and took my lease co to sort. It was the first batch of a new model so there were bound to be a few teething problems.

Shame really because I would get another Mokka if it were not for the dealer.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - Avant
"I think I'd rather have a Å koda for the space and distinct style - but with what engine?"

A petrol TSI every time, especially the 2.0 as in my vRS. I'd have said that even before the recent VW shenanigans. As I've just said in another thread, it has all the torque that was the main factor in buying our first diesel, a Peugeot 205 back in 1988.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - Falkirk Bairn
Approx £10K for a brand new Astra is value. Dull but should be an OK runner as a couple of nearish neighbours have found.

20 years ago I paid £8,000 for an ex Hertz Astra LS - 6 mths old, 8K miles for 2 of my boys going to University. Did the business and, apart from a gearbox re-build under warranty, ran for 3 years with no issues and a further 2 years as a runabout clocking up 90K before being traded-in.
>> >> apart from a gearbox re-build under warranty

That would probably be sufficient to put me off a marque for life.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - martin aston
We did similar to Falkirk B, but we still have our 1.6 Club estate as a second car It's now 16 years old. Apart from an Ecu and the usual consumables its cost us nowt. It's only done 50 odd thousand miles and most of that has been short cold starts so it's been abused really. A few non essential things don't work or are temperamental but it's quite a nice drive too in a "plan your overtaking with care" way. We always assume that the next Mot (always done with a bargain £130 or so main dealer short service by our very competent local franchise) will be its last but it soldiers on. If I thought we could get 16 years out of an almost new runout model at under £10k I'd buy one now but I suspect new car complexity will see a much shorter lifespan. As for the new model I hope it does well but every new Astra over the years has been hailed by reviewers as a big step up and still they end up less favoured than their top rivals.
 Vauxhall supplying new 'old bangers'. - Falkirk Bairn
>> >> >> apart from a gearbox re-build under warranty
>>
>> That would probably be sufficient to put me off a marque for life.
>>

Any car from any manufacturer can give a problem.

Vauxhall garage identified the problem (1st, 2nd synchromesh) Vauxhall authorised re-build and provided a loan car. A week later the car was fixed....cannot complain.

Only issue was the hire car had to be declined as they would not hire car where any driver was under 21!
Latest Forum Posts