Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 47

Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - VxFan
No doubt one or two members (who'll remain nameless) will say it's not such a bad thing, but if you own a Zafira B model built between 2005 and 2014 and equipped with manual air conditioning (not Electronic Climate Control) you should get it checked out.

If you’re concerned about using your vehicle, or notice any unusual characteristics with the heating and ventilation system (such as a squeaking noise from the dashboard), please arrange for your Retailer to inspect your vehicle. This will be done at no cost to you.

Until your car has been inspected, please set your fan speed to zero (0) on the heating and ventilation system. If necessary, use Level 4 only for the time needed to demist the windscreen.

www.vauxhall.co.uk/zafiracustomeradvice.html

news.sky.com/story/1573967/car-owners-warned-about-vauxhalls-catching-fire
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 22 Oct 15 at 10:43
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - WillDeBeest
Is it still worth £2000 off a new Astra if it's on fire?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Thu 22 Oct 15 at 12:40
You'll probably get your fingers burned.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Mapmaker
But only, I think, cars that have had components replaced with non-Vauxhall parts.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warming, your car could catch fire. - WillDeBeest
Or 'previous repairs performed improperly', so Vauxhall dealers are in the clear.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Zero
>> Is it still worth £2000 off a new Astra if it's on fire?

Its got an excellent heater.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - mikeyb
Watchdog now - lots of very chard Zafiras being shown and disgruntled owners saying VX said it wasn't their fault.

Looks like due to the adverse publicity they are being a bit more "customer focused"
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Shiny
Not as media-sexy as VW's emissions software it would seem, even though the pollution from the fires is worse and people could be burned to death.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Zero
>> Watchdog now - lots of very chard Zafiras being shown and disgruntled owners saying VX
>> said it wasn't their fault.

Typically Watchdog, they are blowing a small and fairly rare issue, into a major "threat to all life on earth as we know it" crisis, deliberately engineered by a faceless corporation to kill and dupe the poor punter.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Bobby
Friend's Scenic caught fire in exactly the same circumstances. Sitting on driveway, fan on full speed to demist windscreen and fire started behind dashboard and car alight within a minute
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - The Melting Snowman
>> Friend's Scenic caught fire

I would say he was lucky on two fronts then...
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Avant
There was a Discovery on fire on the A303 near Wincanton this afternoon - the second burning LR that I've seen this year.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - No FM2R
p***ed off owners I should think.
Vauxhall are apparently blaming the use of cheap non OEM pollen filters which when clogged up can put extra loading onto the blower motor and in turn the resistor pack.

I suspect though they're still grabbing at straws and don't yet know the real reason.

If the pollen filter is anything like the one in the Zafira-A then it is a right PITA to change and can quite often get ignored because garages can't justify charging up to ½ hour to change a it. Glovebox out to get to it, etc.

www.pollenfilter.co.uk/display_filter.php?id=100&part=M2113

So, regardless if non OEM or a Vauxhall one, if it's blocked it will cause the same issue.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - bathtub tom
I would've thought a blocked pollen filter would put less load on the blower motor (block the end of a vacuum cleaner nozzle and hear the motor speed up).

However the motor and resistor pack could be dependant on the air flowing over them to keep them cool. Reducing the air flow may cause them to overheat.

I wonder how many won't get any sympathy from Vauxhall if they can't prove adequate service history?
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Fullchat
Any truth in the rumour that the cause is the replacement of the resistor packs with cheap aftermarket items? Common denominator seems to be that in most cases the fans were on full blast.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - madf
I suspect the original resistor packs were Delco - the people who made faulty steering wheel locks. When the Yaris resistor failed, it failed at once.. suggesting a fusible link went when it overheated. The pollen filter need a change..

It was also corroded from 13 years in the air tunnel from intake to heater..

I suspect Delco have no fusible link to save money.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Bromptonaut
>>When the Yaris resistor failed it failed at once

I thought nothing ever failed on a Toyota?
>> I thought nothing ever failed on a Toyota?

Not according to VOSA, of which there are 49 pages worth.

www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Possible failure of central locking system.
www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=53190BAF0897EB8D80256BB900268D79&freeText=Blank&tx=

Possible loss of windscreen wiper action.
www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=E552699E7808840B80256BB900268F5C&freeText=Blank&tx=

Possible failure of suspension ball joint.
www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=6539F295DEA4F1DC80256BB9002690E2&freeText=Blank&tx=

Loss of braking system vacuum assistance
www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=EE4BDAE21E7D013B80256BB90026926E&freeText=Blank&tx=
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 25 Oct 15 at 19:46
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - spamcan61
>> Vauxhall are apparently blaming the use of cheap non OEM pollen filters which when clogged
>> up can put extra loading onto the blower motor and in turn the resistor pack.
>>
>> I suspect though they're still grabbing at straws and don't yet know the real reason.
>>
Indeed, the wiring/fusing should be able to deal with a stalled/jammed motor, nevermind a bit more load than normal.

>> If the pollen filter is anything like the one in the Zafira-A then it is
>> a right PITA to change and can quite often get ignored because garages can't justify
>> charging up to ½ hour to change a it. Glovebox out to get to it,
>> etc.
Ah yes, I recall having 'fun' changing the one in SWMBO's Zafira A...not long before it caught fire!
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Ambo
Maybe keep an eye on your Renault Scenic too. DiL's regularly carries hubby and two strapped-in moppets. There was a strong smell of burning, just a short distance from home. Battery disconnected and car recovered to garage. Mechanic reconnected, ran for a couple of minutes when smoke emerged from onside from door lining. Turned off and opened up to find a red-hot winder motor. I don't know how it panned out but the car was about 4 years old.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - smokie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34743833

"The model affected is the Zafira B, built between 2005 and 2014. They are all right-hand drive, and have manual, or no air conditioning"
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - VxFan
>> "The model affected is the Zafira B

The odd thing is, the resistor pack has the same part number (GM13200646) as the one fitted to the Astra-G and Zafira-A models too.

"If" it is the resistor pack at fault, then why aren't those models of car being recalled too?
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - WillDeBeest
The odd thing is, the resistor pack has the same part number (GM13200646) as the one fitted to the Astra-G and Zafira-A models too.

Well, we could have told you that.
};---)

Holes-in-the-cheese principle, I expect. Something about the geometry and air circulation behind the panel in the Zafira, combined with poor fitting or a dodgy replacement filter, can prevent the excess heat from the faulty resistor pack from dissipating safely. Change any one factor and the problem never arises.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - R.P.
Vauxhall mechanic says elsewhere it's down to the fact that filters were not changed by lazy techs. Even thought the punter was billed for a new one.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - Dog
Probably applies to a lot of jamjars - mine had never been changed before by the looks ovvit:

imageshack.com/i/neowqtj
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - Duncan
>> Probably applies to a lot of jamjars - mine had never been changed before by
>> the looks ovvit:
>>
>> imageshack.com/i/neowqtj
>>

Are you sure that's not a photo of your front door mat?
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - R.P.
Looks a bit er....large
There's a lot of air in a Zafira. Takes a big filter to make sure not the tiniest speck or smidgeon of happiness gets into any of it.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - Clk Sec
Not the most enthusiastic Vauxhall fan on the forum, WdB?
Probably not, but there's something especially depressing about the Zafira. I see lots of them in the low-income West London H-borough where I work. The cars are tired and shabby, and the occupants look miserable and defeated, the polar opposite of the advertisers' happy, active family out in their Activity Vehicle to go canoeing, rollerblading and parachuting all at once.

Of course, it may not be the car that causes that, but this is a car forum so I'll stick with the hypothesis for now.
};---)
>>Are you sure that's not a photo of your front door mat?

S'what came out of my 06 Forester two years ago and ... the car had 'fool' Subaru service history :o)
... came out of my 06 Forester two years ago and...
...you've kept it? Perhaps to complement your collection of used teabags and old washing up sponges?
>>...you've kept it? Perhaps to complement your collection of used teabags and old washing up sponges?

I'm a prepper, and preppers have to prepare for the wurst.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - Alanovich
I love preppers. Me and the boys will know exactly where to go in our Hiluxes to get everything we need. Preppers' houses.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - Zero
I guess there might be plenty of cheap ones on the market now.
>>Me and the boys will know exactly where to go in our Hiluxes to get everything we need. Preppers' houses.

Beware of the Beauceron ... even at 4 months old!!!
>> I love preppers. Me and the boys will know exactly where to go in our
>> Hiluxes to get everything we need. Preppers' houses.

Now you know why the rest of the country refuse to allow Reading residents to build bridges over the thames. see "under the dome"
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 19:34
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - spamcan61
>>
>> Holes-in-the-cheese principle, I expect. Something about the geometry and air circulation behind the panel in
>> the Zafira, combined with poor fitting or a dodgy replacement filter, can prevent the excess
>> heat from the faulty resistor pack from dissipating safely. Change any one factor and the
>> problem never arises.
>>

Certainly quite intriguing, presumably LHD models aren't affected. The power (= heat dissipation) in the resistor pack will be minimised when the fan is going full blast (which seems to have been identified as a factor...possibly.), although the current will be at a maximum, so maybe it's that doing it.
in the old days, there were no resistors in circuit when full speed fan was selected.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Zafira recall announced - spamcan61
>> in the old days, there were no resistors in circuit when full speed fan was
>> selected.
>>
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying, at full fan there's no extra resistance in circuit so power dissipation should be close to zero.
Another recall for the Zafira

"More than 234,000 Vauxhall Zafiras have been recalled for a second time over an engine problem that has caused some cars to burst into flames."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36330439

"When the recalls are complete, all vehicles will have a new wax fuse resistor, a new blower motor and a new moulding at the base of the windscreen to address water ingress."
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 19 May 16 at 11:20
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - WillDeBeest
Will the fireproof wax resistor have a wick?
}:---)
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - sherlock47
So what is a "fireproof wax resistor "

?
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - Slidingpillar
Given that candles burn wax, I'm glad I have a deliciously primitive car.
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - stan10
I would rather have a car that didn't reach it's claimed NOX emissions, or mpg, than one that might suddenly burst into flames.

If they were driving themselves, would they have parked up safely, so that the occupants could escape, before self-destructing ?
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Yet another Zafira fire.... - Stuartli
See:

tinyurl.com/gu6xevz
 Vauxhall Zafira B - Warning, your car could catch fire. - slowdown avenue
just caught a bit it on sky 516 goverment transport committee grilling vauxhall bosses also dvsa. both defended their selves as best they could. seems as though vauxhall don';t get to see many of the burnt out cars, they go through insurance in normal way. probably its sites like this that get things out there.
Latest Forum Posts