Motoring Discussion > No more safety cameras. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 24

No more safety cameras. - Old Navy
Police want to use motorway speed cameras to raise cash. No mention of safety.

news.sky.com/story/1582163/speed-cameras-may-help-fund-cash-strapped-police
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 12:32
 No more safety cameras. - Bromptonaut
>> Police want to use motorway speed cameras to raise cash. No mention of safety.
>>
>> news.sky.com/story/1582163/speed-cameras-may-help-fund-cash-strapped-police

No evidence that Police Officers anywhere from Constable to Chief want such a thing. One maverick Police and Crime Commissioner has suggested it, possibly pulling a stunt, in front of a Parliamentary Committee.

Electing individuals to be 'in charge' of the Police was always going to lead to bufoonery of this sort. An abortion of a policy which should be reversed forthwith.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 12:41
 No more safety cameras. - WillDeBeest
Quite right, Bromp: an utterly boneheaded idea, made worse when what were supposed to be experienced independents were mostly displaced by party hacks. And that's before you consider the inherent conflict of interest in having a single commissioner for both police and crime.

This example is pure grandstanding.
 No more safety cameras. - No FM2R
>>Electing individuals to be 'in charge' of the Police was always going to lead to bufoonery of
>>this sort. An abortion of a policy which should be reversed forthwith.

Absolutely.
 No more safety cameras. - Westpig
>> Electing individuals to be 'in charge' of the Police was always going to lead to
>> bufoonery of this sort. An abortion of a policy which should be reversed forthwith.
>>
Exactly my sentiments.
 No more safety cameras. - Zero
what do they actually do, apart from political grandstanding and self promotion?
 No more safety cameras. - smokie
Methinks the permanently is poorly positioned...

"Switching on permanently M1 motorway speed cameras "

But don't you think he's just using it as a gambit to get more funding through normal means?
 No more safety cameras. - Bill Payer
It's an odd suggestion as the Police don't get the revenue from the cameras.
 No more safety cameras. - Robin O'Reliant
This particular clown also wants police to carry advertising on their uniforms and cars. It's a tough enough job already without being made to look ridiculous while doing it. Hi-Viz jackets for officers walking the beat are bad enough.
 No more safety cameras. - neiltoo
>> It's an odd suggestion as the Police don't get the revenue from the cameras.
>>

They do from awareness courses though.
 No more safety cameras. - Zero

he says

"We have just 169 police officers per 100,000 population as against a national average figure of 232 and 388 in London.

"Yet we have the 4th highest level of gun crime per head, 5th highest level of burglary, robbery and vehicle crime, 7th highest level of knife crime, together with a high terror threat and organised crime problem.

Assuming his funding is on a similar basis to every other force, this means he is doing a crap job and should be sacked.
 No more safety cameras. - Manatee

>> "We have just 169 police officers per 100,000 population as against a national average
>> figure of 232 and 388 in London.

>>
Assuming his funding is on a similar basis to every other force, this means
>> he is doing a crap job and should be sacked.

I was just thinking we can't draw much of a conclusion from that if London has a very much higher ratio than all the others, it follows that the others, on the whole will be below average - which he is. The right comparison would be would be with other regional/provincial forces.
 No more safety cameras. - Manatee
Some relevant comparisons here. It would take a bit of messing about to extract the Met but it's not obvious that Bedfordshire is out of line.

www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmic/crime-and-policing-comparator/
 No more safety cameras. - R.P.
There would have to be a change in the law.
 No more safety cameras. - Armel Coussine
Safety cameras have nothing whatsoever to do with safety.

They're damn silly, annoying and actually quite dangerous. Local authorities messing with stuff they don't even want to understand.
 No more safety cameras. - Bromptonaut
>> Safety cameras have nothing whatsoever to do with safety.
>>
>> They're damn silly,

While I often are with you there are time when you don't half talk nonsense
>> While I often are with you there are time when you don't half talk nonsense

Opinions differ. I think so-called speed cameras are dangerous.
 No more safety cameras. - WillDeBeest
...but driving half-P***ed or with uncorrected visual defects is fine - provided it's you doing it, of course.

Cameras, in most cases, are a poor substitute for active law enforcement, but dangerous? How and where?
 No more safety cameras. - bathtub tom
>>Cameras, in most cases, are a poor substitute for active law enforcement, but dangerous? How and where?

Perhaps not the camera, but the idiot who saw it - I was on the M25. Road works had recently been removed from a section and it was at NSL, whereas before it had a 50MPH limit with average speed cameras. I was cruising at around 70MPH when the idiot passed me, pulled in front and on seeing the camera (but ignoring the CAMERA NOT IN USE sign) slammed on their brakes!
>> ...but driving half-P***ed or with uncorrected visual defects is fine - provided it's you doing it, of course.

I hope you don't do that too often WdB.

Cameras are awful. They distract drivers from the job in hand. People go slowly and jerkily enough without them.
 No more safety cameras. - DP
He was interviewed on the Today Programme earlier in the week. Came across as a bitter and angry little man.
 No more safety cameras. - R.P.
Having read his Wiki page -seems that he is pro- "Job" and defying government policies. Makes him a good bloke. The Speed Camera thing is a "blind" - he'd have to get the law changed in the UK.
 No more safety cameras. - Old Navy
Then there is also the scam of speed awareness courses, some that cash goes to the police authority not the government. There is a report in the media today that some police authorities are using them for income in preference to formal fines and points.
 No more safety cameras. - Fursty Ferret
Why is this a problem? People who routinely speed on the motorway directly subsidise the policing of more dangerous drivers - in theory the money goes directly to the police, so they can send more officers out looking for tailgating / aggressive driving / texting / no insurance etc.

You'd obviously have to hide the cameras so prats don't go hammering on the brakes as they pass underneath (becoming a major problem I think on the M25, I suspect it causes traffic problems further back down the motorway due to ripple effect even though cameras don't work).

Win-win, IMHO.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 11:26
 No more safety cameras. - smokie
Yup, agree - plus get a few cameras detecting lane hogging and the world would be a better place...
Latest Forum Posts