Motoring Discussion > Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 35

Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Stuartli
Just come across this story about Chris Evans and his progress on Top Gear:

tinyurl.com/p95vjbl - www.huffingtonpost.co.uk
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 21:44
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - zippy
I am exactly the same age as CE, but don't have the Ferraris or Billy Piper, where did I go wrong?

To be honest I don't know where he gets the energy to do it all!
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Bromptonaut
>> I am exactly the same age as CE, but don't have the Ferraris or Billy
>> Piper, where did I go wrong?

Don't think he's got Billie Piper now has he?

Wiki suggests they 'remain friends'.
Evans remarried but remains good friends with Billie Piper as suggested.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - R.P.
You're probably happier and a nicer person zippy.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - J Bonington Jagworth
(Alleged) star has ego. Who knew?
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Armel Coussine
I'm sort of coming round to Chris Evans.

He's a car freak like many if not all here. A lot of us wear spectacles and some of us even have red hair probably. He may not be all that nice but that too would apply to a lot of us.

Perhaps I'm getting soppy in my late middle age but so what?
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - No FM2R
I don't care what colour his hair is, i couldn't give a FF whether or not he wears glasses. I don't even care about.any media stories 3a, especially those supported by "sources close to"

I don't even care whether he is very nice or not.

Which is just as well because he sounds like a jumped up dick. Certainly he behaved like one in his business activities 10/15 years ago

I would like him to inform and entertain me.

Unfortunately my experience of his performances to date leads me to believe that that is unlikely to happen .

But we will see.
>> I would like him to inform and entertain me.

He isn't pitched at you or your like - or mine either - to be fair FMR. He's tabloid popular TV. Apparently people like that cheeky chappie stuff.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Duncan
Who was it who said:-

“No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”
Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 8 Nov 15 at 12:31
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Dog
H. L. Mencken.

He also said "A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier".
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - MD
Yonks and Yonks ago I thought him the perfect Pratt. These days I have reversed my view somewhat, but only for his contribution on the Wireless. On the TV, of which I watch next to nothing I cannot comment.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Robin O'Reliant
I still haven't forgiven him for taking Drive Time over from Johnnie Walker.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - MD
Wasn't JW quite ill for a time? Not sure, but something in the memory banks says so.

Nothing like the tones of JW or indeed the late Roger Scott.
Both Johnnie and his wife Tiggy have overcome colon and aggressive breast cancer respectively in very recent times.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Bromptonaut
>> Nothing like the tones of JW

Thoroughly enjoyed his Sounds of the Seventies while driving back from Liverpool this afternoon.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Zero
nothing like the tones of Brian Mathews on radio on Saturday morning.

Thank the lord for that, I want to slap him out of his soporific stupor.
Sounds of the sixties makes you realise how good many of the songs produced back then were, but also how most of it was rather dire crap.

I mainly listen to hear some long forgotten gem which I can find on YouTube or download from ITunes.
>> Wasn't JW quite ill for a time? Not sure, but something in the memory banks
>> says so.
>>
>>
He was, but he returned to the show afterwards and carried on for another few years. It's obviously a thing of personal taste, but I don't think I've ever enjoyed a radio show as much as I used to that one. His personality and choice of music hit the spot.

Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Harleyman
>> I still haven't forgiven him for taking Drive Time over from Johnnie Walker.
>>

Or the breakfast show from Wogan. Admittedly Sir Terry was due for retirement but that was the final straw for me with Radio 2.
>>Or the breakfast show from Wogan. Admittedly Sir Terry was due for retirement but that was the final straw for me with Radio 2.>>

Agree, Wogan was the master; such laid back mastery of his craft is still rare. Yet Evans has further established the Radio2 show as the Number One in the UK after Wogan's initial success.

Still makes me laugh to recall Wogan in the 70s reading out a letter from a listener (no e-mails in those days) who said his wife was known as "The Slough Turn off." If it had been anything other than "Slough" it wouldn't have even raised a smile...:-)
I am not a fan of Wogan by any stretch. But I admit to listening to him on the BS in the late seventies when I first left home. Got to be a habit really. He was on the radio yesterday morning on some R2 show and didn't sound at all like himself. I'm a firm believer in R2 presenters moving on....Jimmy Young was dreadful as he got older, Wogan went the same way in my years ago.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - CGNorwich
That goes for a lot of radio ant TV presenters. We seemed doomed to have to listed to the likes of old fogies like John Humphries rattling on forever and waving the ageist card if someone tries to replace them with someone younger
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - WillDeBeest
Humphrys is still strong on politics, where his experience is valuable. Give him a science or technology topic, though - even stuff he should know from school - and he's embarrassingly clueless.

Mishal Husain has been a find for Today, but we need another female lead to replace the awful Sarah Montague.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Manatee

>> Mishal Husain has been a find for Today, but we need another female lead to
>> replace the awful Sarah Montague.

I don't like Montague either. She never seems to ask the right questions, and then asks the wrong ones, sometimes based on a wrong premise. Chris Evans would be a lot worse, credit where it's due.
Mishal Husain has been presenting the news on the BBC for a number of years - very likable and professional in her work.

Wogan has a Radio2 show called Weekend Wogan on Sundays - he's still a very laidback and easy on the ear broadcaster. Just a pity that the John and Jill stories are no more on his shows...:-(
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - No FM2R
Janet?
>>Janet?>>

Yes, of course...:-) Thinking of the nursery rhyme probably...

For those who've never heard the stories, here are some examples:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LugS0IQqBNE&list=PLEF5C74889671AB8B

Can't stop chuckling over the World Ginger Conspiracy. It's alleged that a red-haired chap has been jailed for plotting to murder the Prince of Wales and Prince William, and perhaps a few others, so that Prince Harry can become our ginger King. Can this really be true?

Even as a baseless rumour, I love it.
Apparently Chris Evans has decided to give up TFI because he's under so much pressure.
What a great loss to the cultural history of the nation. I caught a clip last week with that dreadful lardy bloke who was in Gavin and Stacy. Awful.
>> What a great loss to the cultural history of the nation. I caught a clip last week with that dreadful lardy bloke who was in Gavin and Stacy. Awful. >>

Haven't watched TFI since it finished quite a long while ago. But it did use to be a terrific show, as did Don't Forget Your Toothbrush...:-)
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Ian (Cape Town)
From The Daily Wail:

On location at the Mazda Raceway track in Moneterey, California earlier this month, the 49-year-old DJ and presenter was forced to halt filming as he barreled out of the pair's sports car to vomit.

Reminds me of the Damon Hill, the Mercedes and the journo tossing his cookies video...
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - jc2
Bring back Sarah Kennedy and Dawn Patrol.
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Runfer D'Hills
Oh please no ! At least we've had a few years without having to listen to her bending on about her ruddy cats.

;-)
 Chris Evans - fact or fiction story? - Shiny
Whole thing reminds me of when Treasure Hunt's Anneka Rice was replaced by Annabel Croft and it only lasted another season.
Latest Forum Posts