Motoring Discussion > Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 17

Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - R.P.
www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/254716/jaguars_new_3series.html

If Jaguar made this I'd certainly consider one ahead of a BMW - stunning looking renderings in the link. The X type always looked wrong to me, this looks very, very right.....
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - Hard Cheese

Hmm, fussy frontal styling, I am not a great fan of the XF grill though altogether the XF is a good looking car.

The X-Type is a well proportioned car IMO, pre-facelift sport models in particular, the facelift was not too succesful though.

Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - idle_chatterer
I would SO like an XF when I return to the UK but one of these might form an affordable compromise, it looks beautiful. Maybe they'll do a handsome estate version which would suit me (probably anathema to most people).

I'm now working abroad and looking to buy a car, my US and Hong Kong colleagues all consider Jaguars to be dreadfully unreliable, I thought they'd expunged those ghosts years ago but it seems elsewhere in the world the reputation persists.
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - rtj70
I agree PU. But if I remain in the company car scheme, Jaguar is no longer an option but that might change in 12 months - who knows.
>> I agree PU. But if I remain in the company car scheme, Jaguar is no
>> longer an option but that might change in 12 months - who knows.
>>

I am habitually a company car driver, a recent change to 'greener' (cheaper more like) cars and a refusal to recompense for anything over 2.0l puts paid to the XF, might have to opt out and buy a 2 year old one when I get back. The killer has hitherto been lease costs (although these have improved) and CO2 on the XF. the 5 Series and E-Class are still comprehensively more BIK friendly.
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - Marc
Looks very nice.

I also liked the X Type but wasn't keen on the headlights - too small, looked myopic. The X Type was a good car (I nearly bought one) but everyone slated it for it's Mondeo base. Most odd really as Audi have been getting away with platform sharing for years.

Colleague had an XF for a few days whilst deciding on his next co car. Looked great in BRG but he wasn't keen on the grille. I had a sit inside the XF and whilst it was impressive it was very modern and didn't feel very Jag like to me - maybe that's a good thing for Jaguar.

>>but everyone slated it for it's Mondeo base.>>

Many praised it for it's Mondeo base, a good starting point. It is however not quite as sharp as the Mondeo because its rear set up is based on the Moneo estate so as to accomdate the 4WD system.
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - Bagpuss
>> everyone slated it for it's Mondeo base. Most odd really as Audi have been getting away
>> with platform sharing for years.

Don't think that was the case. Most people don't know or care about the oily bits. The problem with the X-Type was that it simply wasn't as good as the competition. I know 2 people in Germany who had them as company cars as they were so impressed with finally being able to have a small Jaguar. Both of them went back to 3-Series as replacements as they found the X-Type simply disappointing. If Jaguar manage to make a small car that offers a driving experience equivalent to the competition they will sell it.
I once had a Mondy estate - probably one of the best cars I've ever had, I certainly remember it with affection which is a bit bizarre for what was ostensibly a work-horse. Can't say I'd see any problem with the X-Type being based on it?

I think the main problem was reliability, my boss had an early X-Type (3.0 4wd IIRC), it had an entire new front suspension (both sides), gearbox and a number of other major components in the first year. My Mondy was peerless for reliability, the X-Type wasn't, so maybe my foreign colleagues aren't wrong about Jaguar reliability ?

I still want an XF though.....
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Thu 22 Jul 10 at 11:28
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - Marc
"Many praised it for it's Mondeo base, a good starting point."

Completely agree. I remember these debates from the HJ Forum too well.

However too many people derided it for the same. My point being that several people I spoke to were happy to buy an Audi (which is based on a VW) but not a Jaguar based on a Ford. You could liken it to the Porsche 924 which many people said wasn't a true Porsche but a VW.

It's BS frankly.
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - ....
That is a very nice looking car.

Expect the rear boomerang lights to change for more conventional setup for the Amerkins'

Remember the Masterati Coupe and how it went from the beautiful boomerang lights to what looked like something off the back of a Passat.
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - Falkirk Bairn
Jaguar got the X-Type wrong - mechanically OK, styling a matter of opinion.

They got it VERY wrong with no LAUNCH Diesel and no LAUNCH estate versions until much much later - by then the horse had bolted and the X-type doomed from day 1.

The market they missed was rep/perkmobiles where 2 ltr diesel and estate are a must - hence all the 320d's, C class diesels on the road.

I pretty much agree FB though mechanically they may have been better to stick with 2WD, use the Mondeo hatch/saloon multilink rear suspension for the saloon and get a reputation as a drivers car.
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - Londoner
The pictures from AE are only renderings of course....but if they are anything like accurate then it will look gorgeous.

I would consider one if they make a 4WD version (must be a pretty good chance , I reckon), but as a purely personal preference I want to stay away from any more RWD cars.
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - Collos
The real thing was in Autobild last week looks very nice but has a lot of competition.
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - Mike Hannon
Well, let's hope it looks at least something like AutoExpress's artist's impression - not much point rushing to judgement at this stage. The whole piece looks like a summer space filler to me.
There's a lot of 'could' and 'might' about it.
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - Runfer D'Hills
Hope they do an estate. Saloons can look so dated......
 Jaguar - Replacement for the X Type. - DP
I'd buy an XF over a 5 series without hesitation, but if they could do the same with the next class down, it would be fantastic.
If they built a true "small" XF with a suitably gutsy, emissions friendly 2.0 diesel, they wouldn't be able to build the things quick enough. Assuming similar capability / reliability / quality, and talking in pure brand and image terms, who wouldn't rather drive a Jag than a BMW?
Latest Forum Posts