Motoring Discussion > J prefix local memory tags Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 17

J prefix local memory tags - Chris S
I'm fairly sure I saw a car today with a post-2001 number plate beginning 'JA'.
Could such a number plate exist? 'J' isn't a local memory tag

tinyurl.com/q4h2z8e
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 5 Nov 15 at 22:42
 J prefix local memory tags - R.P.
Personal plate...?
 J prefix local memory tags - Slidingpillar
Must be a personal plate as they are not currently issued. See www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf which is far nicer than the WiKi article (plus even I found two errors in the WiKi too).
 J prefix local memory tags - ....
The Local Memory Tags J,T and U are spare and may be called upon if a Local Office
exhausts their allocation.
 J prefix local memory tags - WillDeBeest
I toyed with the idea of changing the TDS's plate to one that amused me (but would have meant little or nothing to anyone else.) One I priced up on the DVLA tool began TR12; hadn't realized that T plates weren't issued routinely.
Just looked again and U...s are there too. However, to quote the site - and irrespective of year:
UP BUM is not available.*

* Not that I ever spent geography periods looking up rude words in my dictionary. Obviously.
 J prefix local memory tags - Chris S
I'm surprised 'U' is available, it wasn't used as a prefix/suffix under the old systems because people might have confused it with 'V'. Literacy rates seem to have gone up since 1963.
 J prefix local memory tags - Slidingpillar
m surprised 'U' is available, it wasn't used as a prefix/suffix under the old systems because people might have confused it with 'V'. Literacy rates seem to have gone up since 1963.

Not as a suffix or prefix, but as part of the whole it was there earlier. My car registered in 1930 is UH8204 (a Cardiff plate).
Indeed. DU was a Coventry pair; my two Warwickshire-sourced Saabs were ...WDU and ...BDU.
 J prefix local memory tags - nice but dim
My old Peugeot 306 (shudders at the memories) was R257 ODU, presumably built at Ryton.

My current Toyota is FG07 xxx and was built at Burnaston.

Both sold local to where they were built.
Last edited by: nice but dim on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 10:09
They call these codes 'memory tags' but how memorable are they? I can get L for London and S for Scotland, but what's 'F' about the East Midlands?

I miss the old system. The codes were arbitrary but you could feel the history in FC for Oxford and the like. (FC 1 is - or certainly was - on the Lord Mayor of Oxford's official car. A large northern kicky-ball club once made a big offer for it that the city refused.)

My number-geek side misses the random numerical possibilities of the old system too. This one has the sloppy imprint of a humanities graduate - although even they probably know that letters give more permutations than digits. Sigh.
 J prefix local memory tags - Alanovich
>> what's 'F' about the East Midlands?

Forest and Fens.
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 10:30
Obviously. So Wales is PH for Pointy Hats?
No. It's C for Cymru so far as I'm aware.

They all make perfect sense, even V for Worcester:

www.newreg.co.uk/dvla-number-plate-identifiers/

;-)
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 10:34
 J prefix local memory tags - nice but dim
>> They call these codes 'memory tags' but how memorable are they? I can get L
>> for London and S for Scotland, but what's 'F' about the East Midlands?
>>
>>
>>

Puzzles me too, 'F' apparently means Forest and Fens.

Odd ones that I don't immediately recall are;

H - Hampshire and Dorset
V - Severn Valley
G - Garden Of England
W - West of England

This is my oddity, but when I see FYxx I think of Blackpool but thats the postcode!

Last edited by: nice but dim on Fri 6 Nov 15 at 10:34
>> I toyed with the idea of changing the TDS's plate to one that amused me

Is RO58 EEF still available I wonder?

I don't have a car it could go on currently, they're both older than 58 (53 SAAB and 06 Mazda). I've had 2 58s but they're both gone (Touran and Laguna). Not had anything registered more recently.
Yes, it is. But (a) they still want £699 for it, which is too much even for quite a good silly joke; (b) it's the wrong year for the 2012 TDS - although the model and colour were available in the 58 period; (c) the joke wouldn't work so well on a car that's unlikely to go to France; and (d) I've had the LEC too long to think of re-registering it now.

If it had been £350 in 2012 when I bought the LEC, I'd probably have gone for it. Never mind.
 J prefix local memory tags - Ted

I did get SWM one years ago and it's been on 4 cars to date. H10 *** ( Her initials ).

It was, however, to appease her after the clandestine purchase of another motorbike !
Latest Forum Posts